Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How on earth do you network through mobile broadband?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using Digiweb's Mobile Broadband (Multi) --- Router connected to PC, and I just can't seem to network my PC with the laptops.

Curiously, my Xbox 360 (With a wireless adapter) had no problem streaming pictures/music/video from my PC with it's Media Center [Extender].

What gives? >_<

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

You're going to have to give us some more details to work on here, regarding your current setup.

What is the NTU on your side...ie if its Mobile Broadband which device is terminating the Internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Erm, NTU? Sorry but I'm sort of an illiterate when it comes to Networks. Only got my Broadband recently, to which I've been using dial-up previously. :p

I've set up files to be Shared [has a little hand holding up icon].

I think it's something to do with the Firewalls, since my Laptops see the PC as a Media Server [PC has TVersity on it (App that converts media files to whatever format while streaming, used it to view videos other than .wmv on my 360) ].

But I can't seem to figure out HOW to let my computers actually share files! >_<;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Erm, NTU? Sorry but I'm sort of an illiterate when it comes to Networks. Only got my Broadband recently, to which I've been using dial-up previously. :p

I've set up files to be Shared [has a little hand holding up icon].

I think it's something to do with the Firewalls, since my Laptops see the PC as a Media Server [PC has TVersity on it (App that converts media files to whatever format while streaming, used it to view videos other than .wmv on my 360) ].

But I can't seem to figure out HOW to let my computers actually share files! >_<;

Ok, firstly I would assume that both the PC and laptop are on the same LAN....from the fact that they can see eachother.
    But just to be sure, do a start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig
    Make sure both have an address similar to the below:

PC
    IP: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Laptop
    IP: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

The router you have been given should have the address 192.168.1.254.

Now it seems that the issue here isnt a network one but rather a Windows Network issue....so if both are on the same Subnet as above Im afraid Im not a Windows man so I cant help you with that. It could well be a Firewall issue but Im not familiar with Windows Firewalls, however there should be a setting within it to allow file sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My router's IP address is 192.168.0.1 I think [That's the IP I use to do it's settings via a browser].

Or that something else altogether?

• Advertisement
Advertisement