Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get unbanned, a few tips.

Options
  • 21-01-2008 5:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, hopefully this should help out some of you regular boards users out. As much as moderators are tired of hearing the same old complaints all the time, we do have to realise that there's no real procedure with appeals so to speak, and that can be quite frustrating for the users as well.

So, lets get started.

First of all, be polite and don't insult anyone. Remember, if you fire accusations of mods being nazis, or being drunk on power, very few of them are going to be willing to listen to you, even if you do have an otherwise valid case.

Don't make up reasons why you were banned. Don't say "I was banned for my opinion" because that's ridiculously vague. For example, it could be your opinion that another user should go f**k themselves, in which case you would have been banned for personal abuse. Likewise, don't saw that you were banned for no reason at all, because there's always a reason. If you don't know why, then ask why.

If you ignore the reasons why you were banned, try to make up excuses, or start making accusations of abuse of power, this tells the moderators one thing: you're not interested in following the rules. That doesn't encourage anyone to let you back into a forum they mod. Accept why you were banned, learn from it.

Always be calm. If you've got a valid case, there's still a chance that someone is going to post cat pics, or make trolling comments, but don't rise to it or respond to it.

Learn from your mistakes. If you've been banned for breaking rules you didn't know about, make a note to read the charter, and be aware of the rules next time. Apologies aren't nessicary, just make sure you're clear to the moderator that it won't happen again.

Don't loose it if a mod doesn't unban you. Some people will go on a rant if they're not unbanned upon request, and this only serves to prove the mod right. Instead, prove them wrong by posting in other sections without making making a disturbance, then come back at a later date and make another request. Maybe your actions since then will serve to convince the mod that you won't be a disruptive poster if they let you return.

Ask nicely. You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

So, that concludes our seminar on the proper way to get unbanned (AKA "What Mods Want"), and I hope you will all find it to your pleasing.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ok guys, hopefully this should help out some of you regular boards users out. As much as moderators are tired of hearing the same old complaints all the time, we do have to realise that there's no real procedure with appeals so to speak, and that can be quite frustrating for the users as well.

So, lets get started.

First of all, be polite and don't insult anyone. Remember, if you fire accusations of mods being nazis, or being drunk on power, very few of them are going to be willing to listen to you, even if you do have an otherwise valid case.

Don't make up reasons why you were banned. Don't say "I was banned for my opinion" because that's ridiculously vague. For example, it could be your opinion that another user should go f**k themselves, in which case you would have been banned for personal abuse. Likewise, don't saw that you were banned for no reason at all, because there's always a reason. If you don't know why, then ask why.

If you ignore the reasons why you were banned, try to make up excuses, or start making accusations of abuse of power, this tells the moderators one thing: you're not interested in following the rules. That doesn't encourage anyone to let you back into a forum they mod. Accept why you were banned, learn from it.

Always be calm. If you've got a valid case, there's still a chance that someone is going to post cat pics, or make trolling comments, but don't rise to it or respond to it.

Learn from your mistakes. If you've been banned for breaking rules you didn't know about, make a note to read the charter, and be aware of the rules next time. Apologies aren't nessicary, just make sure you're clear to the moderator that it won't happen again.

Don't loose it if a mod doesn't unban you. Some people will go on a rant if they're not unbanned upon request, and this only serves to prove the mod right. Instead, prove them wrong by posting in other sections without making making a disturbance, then come back at a later date and make another request. Maybe your actions since then will serve to convince the mod that you won't be a disruptive poster if they let you return.

Ask nicely. You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

So, that concludes our seminar on the proper way to get unbanned (AKA "What Mods Want"), and I hope you will all find it to your pleasing.

In other words, kiss the hand that struck you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

No.

You shouldn't even be here if you haven't tried to resolve the matter *privately* and politely with the mod in the first instance. A lot like conflict resolution in Real Life (TM) actually.

The OP deserved to be seperated stickied and locked on this forum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No detailed explanation of cat picture etiquette? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Just playing devils advocate here, but...
    you acknowledge that there is no appeals procedure, and the potential for someone to have been unfairly banned, but you don't really provide any solution other than: suck it up.

...or was that the point?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ways to get unbanned - politely pm the mod in question, post here and outline (properly) why you have been banned. If it is a valid reason, just accept your ban. If it's too harsh of a ban (see the recent banning from the Mobiles forum by Sarge), your ban will be reduced/lifted.

Ways not to get unbanned - declare all mods to be nazi and complain about having your free speech removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zulu wrote: »
    Just playing devils advocate here, but...
    you acknowledge that there is no appeals procedure, and the potential for someone to have been unfairly banned, but you don't really provide any solution other than: suck it up.

...or was that the point?

There is an appeals procedure and it works and I have seen people get their bans over turned and mods loose their modship and all in this very forum.

Peopel not undersandng the rules and posters should present their case with as much information as possible and not in a fashion which smacks of "Waaaaaaaaah I was banned, thats not fair, all mods are bástards"

Genuine inquiries get genuine responses, asinine inquiries get asinine responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Can someone tell me how to get un-site banned, along with an account merge? I'd really like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What account do you need un-site-banned and what account do you need it merged with?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

pid() wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how to get un-site banned, along with an account merge? I'd really like to know.

In your case I'd say an email to the Admins ..... and a nice bottle of something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Theres an old saying in our neck of the woods which would sum up the issue: Never piss on the dog when your hand is in its mouth

Would that summarise it Karl H? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why in gods name would you piss on a dog. Feckin hell talk about uncivilised :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's not about kissing hands or striking anyone.

All moderators really care about is the smooth running of the forums we moderate. The steps outlined by Karl would simply indicate to us that someone is willing and able to constructivly contribute to a forum running smoothly as opposed to being a disruptive influence on it. And that's really all it's about.

It's funny watching every second user on here claim they were banned for some personal vendetta. The only people taking it personally are the users themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gandalf wrote: »
    Why in gods name would you piss on a dog. Feckin hell talk about uncivilised :p
    You wouldn't understand - its a Donegal thing ;)

This thread a wee while back is a good example of how to go about appealing a ban in the correct fashion. Pity there wasn't more of them.

In fairness mods can fcuk up some times ... but thats understandable. How many times have we seen someone come on here about a ban and you get plenty of mods agreeing with the OP? In most cases the OP stays banned and the mods done agree.

To say all mods just care about the smooth running of the forum is a bit naive. Mods aint robots (apart from Ruu) so of course their personal opinions can come into it.

I've had plenty of threads here but I've had more bans that didnt make it to here because they were handed our fairly and politely. My resent bans from Stargal & Whitewashman were discussed politely via pm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

request for this to be stickyed :)

Jeez 6th how many bans have you collected? :D

9 I think.

*Edit: 10 including the idiot filter in TcN.

I've only managed a 1 week ban from Limerick sometime last year. I'll just have to put more effort in I suppose. :D

I'm a little ahead of myself I'll admit. 1 ban per 1000 posts is whats recommended.

I'm trying for a ban free 2008 ;)

*Edit: Hagar, you're a mod so you dont get banned as part of the mod conspiracy. The odd time they ban the likes of Thaedydal just to throw us off the scent but we wont be fooled!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've been banned 15-20 times back at the start of my boards usage. Longest was a few days, shortedst 10 minutes. You gotta smooth talk via pm, be polite, say you are sorry, make them shed a tear.
    Welcome back to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That would imply that somehow the banned poster has been "wronged" by the moderator.

If a ban is unfair and it's brought to people's attention it will be resolved and they always have been.

Its hard to be polite when you think your ban is unjust but when its deserved some people still act the dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's cos Mammy and Daddy brought them up to think that the sun shines from their arse and they can't do anything wrong. So when they dress up as crusties and go out onto the streets burning cars and causing riots, they blame the Gardai when they get their asses kicked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

6th wrote: »
    Its hard to be polite when you think your ban is unjust
    Not if you are smart. What matters more:
    Making a most righteous case against Slagathor the Oppressor or getting unbanned?

At the end of the day its just an internet forum so I wouldnt apologise to a mod who's in the wrong just to get access.

When I'm wrong I'll put my hand up.

I see...all the overturned bans you have gotten.

I've gotten 1 over turned ban and 1 shortened.

Apologising has got me 10 times those numbers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

6th wrote: »
    *Edit: Hagar, you're a mod so you dont get banned as part of the mod conspiracy. The odd time they ban the likes of Thaedydal just to throw us off the scent but we wont be fooled!

:p

• Advertisement

Apologising has got me 10 times those numbers. :)

So have you ever apologised when it wasnt you in the wrong? If so then you were born to be married! :D

Advertisement