Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD TV or Flat Panel?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I'm in a dilemma people.

I want a new LCD flat panel because my old monitor is dying slowly.

The thing is, a lot of the flat panels come with TV tuners built in. Now if I turn my attention to LCD TVs, they all have VGA monitor ports in return!

Can someone tell me what difference it would make these days? If I was using a TV for my monitor, would I notice a difference? If I used my monitor to watch TV... you get the drift...

Thanks for any replies. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

I'm wondering the same thing !

how about an lcd TV using hdmi from a hdmi graphics card ?

Is the quality going to be better on an LCD monitor, using DVI ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Using DVI or HDMI , picture wise , the quality should be exactly the same as they are pin for pin compatible , only difference is that DVI carries no sound , they are both digital connections.

VGA is analog , entirely different , but can be just as good a picture , it will depend on the graphics card but usually the digital is better.

Using an LCD as a monitor the biggest issue your going to have is how close to it you intend to be. LCD TV's are meant to be watched from a distance , and they have far too large a dot pitch to sit too close , it will look highly pixelated if its on a desk less that two feet from your face.

For that reason its best to have a Monitor ( small dot pitch ) with a tuner rather than a TV with a computer connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mathias wrote: »
    Using an LCD as a monitor the biggest issue your going to have is how close to it you intend to be. LCD TV's are meant to be watched from a distance , and they have far too large a dot pitch to sit too close , it will look highly pixelated if its on a desk less that two feet from your face.

For that reason its best to have a Monitor ( small dot pitch ) with a tuner rather than a TV with a computer connection.

That depends, if the TV is 32" 1920x1080p, it will (just about) match most monitors on the dot pitch.

I've also seen a lot of smaller LCD TV's that have 1440*900(19") or 1680*1050(20") as their native resolution, instead of the 1366*768 that used to be common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

True , you might just get away with an LCD TV if it had a 1920 x 1080 , for a desktop though , 23 inch monitors usually come in at 1920 x 1200 , such as the Dell ultrasharps or the apple monitors .... way more suitable than a TV for desktop computing.

Advertisement