Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to look and feel good...

Options
  • 21-01-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey y'all!

I am looking to lose some weight and tone up. I have been going to the gym since last June but I was only doing cardio up until October, until I started doing weights!

I toned up a good bit but then after all the chocolate and dinners at Xmas, I ended up back at the start!

Weight : 12st 8
    Height : 5ft 3

I have recently started to eat a lot more healtier than I was and hav cut out a lot of junk/fast food.

Diet :

Breakfast : Organic Porridge with currants and honey. 1 apple or Organic Yoghurt.

Lunch : Wholemeal Pitta Bread with cheese, turkey/chicken and loads of salad or
    Chicken and veg soup with wholemeal bread.

Dinner : I'm not great at eating dinner but I am trying! Last night I made a baked potato,
    chicken and salad.

Snacks : Organic yoghurt, grapes, sliced carrots , apples , flaked almonds , currants and as my
    treat I have Bunalun Organic Caramel Wafers but not everyday :)

I drink plenty of water 1.5 - 2.5 litres everyday and more if I am in the gym.

I am going to the gym tomorrow night and will post up more then! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fair play for getting back into it. How much weight did you lose, and were you watching your diet at that time?

If not, going by your post, you should see even bigger changes with the combination of diet and exercise. I'm learning that you can't have one without the other.

To my untrained eye, the diet looks good, but I'm not an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shoomshoom

Fair play for getting back into it. How much weight did you lose, and were you watching your diet at that time?

If not, going by your post, you should see even bigger changes with the combination of diet and exercise. I'm learning that you can't have one without the other.

To my untrained eye, the diet looks good, but I'm not an expert.

I wasn't really watching my weight but I did lose 3 inches off my hips and 1.5 off my waist. Same with arms and thighs, about an inch each.

I wasn't really watching my diet as well as I am now. I am trying to stay away from junk food but I have an incredible sweet tooth :(

Fitness!

Ok, I try to get to the gym 3 times a week but it doesn't always work out as I have college and a full time job and sometimes I am too tired to go.
    well the truth is I don't push myself to go..I know I should but I don't always . . :(

Usual Workout
    Warm Up :

10-15 mins on the treadmill, going from walking to a jog.

Weights :

I do three circuits of weights and at the end do sit ups.

Bicep Curl :

3 x 15 reps @ 1 Bar *

Tricep Pushdown :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar *

Thigh Curl :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar *

Knee Extention :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar *

Bench Press :

3 x 15 @ 1 Bar *

Chest Press :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar *

Shoulder Press :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar *

Seated Row :

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar* ( Arms in )

3 x 15 @ 3 Bar* ( Elbows Out )

At the end of each circuit I do 50 - 100 hundred incline sit ups.

Then I do 25-40 mins on the cross trainer. When I am finished I do stretches for my arms, legs and back.

*** I am not sure how much weight there is per bar on the machine but I'll check it out tonight and update this tomorrow morning.

I don't know if what I am doing is good enough to help me achieve what I want. I was just wondering does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Does the gym you attend not have a personal trainer ? They should be able to assess you properly and put you on a program to make your goals.

damoz wrote: »
    Does the gym you attend not have a personal trainer ? They should be able to assess you properly and put you on a program to make your goals.

I spoke to the lady who co-owns the gym and she assesed me and gave me a programme which is the one I am doing now. At the time, she measured me and asked me about my diet and excercise and what goals I wanted to achieve.

I felt that she helped me alot and she always checks up on me in the gym but now I feel like nothing is working for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

shoomshoom wrote: »
    I spoke to the lady who co-owns the gym and she assesed me and gave me a programme which is the one I am doing now. At the time, she measured me and asked me about my diet and excercise and what goals I wanted to achieve.

I felt that she helped me alot and she always checks up on me in the gym but now I feel like nothing is working for me

In what way do you feel nothing is working? How long have you been on the programme?

celestial wrote: »
    In what way do you feel nothing is working? How long have you been on the programme?

I've been on the same programme since mid October last year and I did tone up and lose some weight. I wasn't eating that well at the time but I was trying.
    But after Xmas I had put on the weight that I had lost and wasn't happy.
    I haven't been to the gym as much as I like to but I am trying.
    The problem is I don't feel like I've worked out the next day, I used to get muscle soreness and my legs would be tired from the Cross Trainer but not anymore.I know my body has probably got used to the way I was doing excercise and I need to change it up...any suggestions?

Cheers :)

I've been on the same programme since mid October last year and I did tone up and lose some weight. I wasn't eating that well at the time but I was trying.
    But after Xmas I had put on the weight that I had lost and wasn't happy.
    I haven't been to the gym as much as I like to but I am trying.
    The problem is I don't feel like I've worked out the next day, I used to get muscle soreness and my legs would be tired from the Cross Trainer but not anymore.I know my body has probably got used to the way I was doing excercise and I need to change it up...any suggestions?

Cheers :)

It sounds like you have adapted to your programme! You've been doing the same thing since October! Think of it like this - if you decided to run up a hill to get fit each morning, and for the first week you were badly out of breath, but after 3 weeks could run up it without breaking a sweat, and wanted your fitness to progress, would you continue running up the same hill each morning?:)

Change your programme. Your body has adapted to the stress and to get fitter/stronger/leaner you need to challenge it more - you will adapt v quickly to a certain programme and should really change it round every 6-8 weeks at most.

Tips:

Ditch the 100 situps - not the best use of your time - you could be spending that time on a higher-value exercise.

Ditch the leg extensions and learn how to do squats and lunges - you can even do these with dumbbells - promise you you will feel them the next day!

Vary the intensity of the treadmill and cross-trainer - why not put the treadmill on a tough incline and try intervals on the cross-trainer?

A great exercise that I'd like to recommend you, especially from the point of view of challenging yourself, is the incline push-up on a Swiss ball or another elevated surface. Get your shins up on the Swiss ball and try and knock out 3 sets x 12. Let me know you get on with them? - I'm confident you'll feel them the morning after!

Thanks for your help, Celestial! :)

Ok, I'll give that a go! I have been doing the interval training on the cross trainer and I always feel like I've worked out after that! :)

I won't be able to get to the gym for the rest of this week but I am gonna go walking/jog on Sat and Sunday when I am away.

Also, I was thinking of getting a yoga mat for when I am at home to do a workout at home..like push ups and excercises for my legs...any suggestions on what to do? I'll get the excercise ball too :)

Yup I'll defo let you know how much pain I am in :):):) but it will be worth it :)

Well I haven't done a tap since last week and now I feel crap.

I went and go an excercise ball, yoga mat and new runners but I only made it to the gym once last week and it wasn't even for a full session..my bf was just showing me the free weights and excercises.

I didn't go Friday and Saturday as planned as I honestly couldn't be bothered and I ate very badly over the weekend.

I really have no motivation at all at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I really have no motivation at all at the moment :(

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but the days that you feel like you have no motivation to go to the gym are the days that you have to make the effort and go. Even if it's just for a short session, you will benefit a lot and actually be motivated to get back and do a longer session the next day.

Giving in to low motivation is one of the hardest spirals to get out of, you don't feel like going, so you don't go, then you feel like crap for not going and you don't feel like it the next day either.

In short, get up and go! Put the bad week behind you and get going on the exercise again :)

No, that is what I need to hear :) I can be a bit lazy sometimes or just too tired to do anything and then I don't bother.

I'm going to the gym tomorrow night, as I was in college last night and have plans for later..but I will go!

Thanks for the encouragement though! :)

No, that is what I need to hear :) I can be a bit lazy sometimes or just too tired to do anything and then I don't bother.

I'm going to the gym tomorrow night, as I was in college last night and have plans for later..but I will go!

Thanks for the encouragement though! :)

Think of it as cause and effect:

Feel good > this is because I went to gym > habitually want to feel good > habitually go to gym > less chance I won't go because I know it makes me feel good!

Go shoom shoom!! Have you tried Swiss ball push-ups yet?

GYM:

Warm Up : 7 mins on treadmill-going from walk to jog.
    5 mins on bike at a normal pace.

Weights:

Bicep curls (alternating) [ 4kg = each dumbbell)
    4kg x 12
    8kg x 8
    8kg x 8

Squats (with 2 DB)
    8kg x 12
    16kg x 10
    20kg x 8

Shoulder Press machine
    11kg x 12
    13.5kg x 10
    16kg x 8

Bench Press (with 2 DB, so 8kg = 2 x 4kg DB)

8kg x 12
    12kg x 10
    16kg x 5

bent over dumbbell rows

4kg x 12
    6kg x 10
    8kg x 8

Tricep KickBack
    4kg x 12
    4kg x 10
    6kg x 8

Cardio: 20 mins doing interval training on the Cross Trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Good job shoomshoom :)

Here's a tip for you. Everytime you come home from the gym put your used kit into the wash and then immediately pack new kit into your gym bag and leave it by the front door or in the boot of your car (if you have a car).

That way, when gym day comes around you don't have the excuse of saying, "oh I've no gym gear packed, where's my sports socks, do I have a towel? Ah feck it I won't bother". :) Having new kit ready all the time is a very good habit to get into.

When I really don't feel like exercising I usually force myself to go to the gym with the intention of doing 10 minutes max...of course, once I'm into it I keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Good job shoomshoom :)

Here's a tip for you. Everytime you come home from the gym put your used kit into the wash and then immediately pack new kit into your gym bag and leave it by the front door or in the boot of your car (if you have a car).

That way, when gym day comes around you don't have the excuse of saying, "oh I've no gym gear packed, where's my sports socks, do I have a towel? Ah feck it I won't bother". :) Having new kit ready all the time is a very good habit to get into.

When I really don't feel like exercising I usually force myself to go to the gym with the intention of doing 10 minutes max...of course, once I'm into it I keep going :)

Haha, so true. Last week didn't feel like going at all (which was odd) but I figured the hardest part was getting there. Once I got there, had a good workout!

Warm Up: Treadmill - going form walking to a jog for 10 mins.

I stretched my legs, arm and back.

Weights:

Bicep Curls:2 x 6kg - 12
    2 x 8kg - 8
    2 x 8kg - 8

Lunges: 2 x 4kg - 12
    2 x 8kg - 10
    2 x 10kg - 10

Shoulder Press: 2 x 4kg - 12
    2 x 6kg - 10
    2 x 6kg - 8

Bench Press: 2 x 6kg - 12
    2 x 8kg -10
    2 x 8kg -8

Bent Over Row: 2 x 6kg - 12
    2 x 8kg -10
    2 x 8kg -8

Tricep Kick Back: 2 x 6kg - 12
    2 x 8kg - 10
    2 x 10kg - 6

My legs and thighs were killing me after the lunges :(

Cardio :

30 mins at 4.5 on an incline of 3.

15 mins of interval training on cross trainer.

Lunges :

12 reps @ 8 (2)
    10 reps @ 6 (2)
    8 reps @ 10 (2)

Sit Ups:

100 sit ups on the incline with a 6kg weight.

Going to the gym tonight and Sunday morning.

Warm Up : 10 mins on treadmill going from fast walk to jog.

Weights :

I was feeling a bit weak yesterday so here's what happened :

Lunges:
    12 x 2 @ 6KG
    5 x 2 @ 8KG

Bench Press:
    12 x 2 @ 6KG
    10 x 2 @ 8KG
    6 x 2 @ 10KG

Shoulder Press:
    12 x 2 @ 6KG
    10 x 2 @ 8KG
    5 x 2 @ 10 KG

Bicep Curl:
    12 x 2 (24) @ 6KG
    10 x 2 (20) @ 8KG
    4 x 2 (8) @ 10KG

Bent Over Row:
    12 x 2 @ 6KG
    10 x 2 @ 8KG
    8 x 2 @ 10 KG

Tricep Kick Back:
    I was too tired and weak to do this one.

Hoping to get to the gym tomorrow and then definetely on Sunday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Have you tried to squat or deadlift yet? If not, is there someone at your gym who can help out? (instructor / friend / randomer?).

Create a post in the main fitness forum if you need advice. These two exercises could speed up the fat burning / toning process no end.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

I have seen my bf deadlift and there is no way I would be able to do it :(

As for squats, I was doing them but I wasn't feeling them the day after and I just couldn't get my head around them...I have no co-ordination :(
    But when I do lunges I can really feel them and can feel the benefits already.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

My gf if 50kg and can deadlift that amount. She is no hulk hogan.

Start off really light. Get your bf to teach you if he seems to know what he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I have seen my bf deadlift and there is no way I would be able to do it :(

Don't be put off by watching him lift! As BossArky said, get him to show you how, start light and don't be afraid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

xebec wrote: »
    Don't be put off by watching him lift! As BossArky said, get him to show you how, start light and don't be afraid of it!

True, she seen me when I was going for 100kg, (was a new PR for me) so obviously I looked like I was bursting at the seams :)

Its the old "big guys corner, where girls don't go" thing... in fairness, none of the other girls in the gym do go down to where the squat cage and deadlift area is. But if some of the female posters wanna throw in a spake, please do!:o

Advertisement