Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine broke after 15 months

Options
  • 21-01-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

So my machine sounds like a bulldoser after 15 months.
    The part is covered but hotpoint want 114Euro for an engineer to fit it.

I paid 530Euro for the machine in October 06 it seems outrageous to me that it breaks already - 3 months after the one year guarantee period.

A skeptic would say that that is very convenient for them indeed.
    Have I a leg to stand on or do I just have to grin and bear it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your warrenty only includes parts after the 12 months then they can still charge for a engineer to do the work required, your only other option is get joe soap repairman to fix it for you and I'm sure he'll be happy to charge you for the part and the work required :)

imho you have no leg to stand on, at the end of the day its not like they have a countdown timer inbuilt that makes the machine break down after the parts and labor warranty runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

That's true but you would think that a part - at normal usage, would last more than 15 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Same thing happened to me with Hotpoint - tumble Dryer.
    I'll never buy that brand again. Have had a Zanussi washing machine for 10 years, and not a single problem.
    I know Harvey Norman now sell insurance to extend the 1 year g'tee out to 5 years for about EUR40-50. Thought it was worth it.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had a tumble drier from Hotpoint too, thermostat broke in warranty and overheated out of warranty. I just got rid and got a whirlpool which is great, apart from one design flaw mentioned below.

I may get rapped on the knuckles for this, but is is a complex part to fit? Could you or a mechanically minded friend fit it? First time my drier broke (the water outlet from the condenser has a narrow point that blocks) the drum filled with water. Me and my hb hauled it out, took it apart, found the problem and fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You might find that the exorbitant cost of the parts on a DIY basis cost more than the engineer's call-out charge. We thought that the motor had gone on our machine. The retail cost for the motor was almost €200, whereas the call-out was €80.

As it turned out, it wasn't the motor at all, just one of the carbon brushes stuck inside it. A tap with a hammer would have cured it for nothing:( Of course, had I removed anything to check on this, it would probably have invalidated the parts warranty. You win some etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

According to page 7 of this document http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf (its in pdf format) A two-year guarantee applies to the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU.

Ring the service agents of the machine, and quote european directive 1999/44/EC.

See how that goes :)

more info http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/index_en.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

having worked there in the call centre previously for two years I've had this discussion many a time. The machine is gaurenteed for 5 years and all parts are completely free of charge and so they are honoring the gaurentee and EU law gaurenteeing machine for 2 years etc.

Of course this gaurentee doesnt include an engineer and you will find that ALL white good manufacturers offer a very similiar policy (though timeframes may be slightly different)

Also, any 3rd party that goes near the washing machine who is not a Hotpoint / Indesit authorised engineer will void your warranty (and the only ones who are , are in the direct employ of the company)

So in otherwords Hotpoint are actually well within they're rights to charge for the engineer as ****ty as it actually is. there was usually leeway for machines that broke at 13 months but anything over that they charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Siemens or Miele. That stuff lasts. Wouldn't touch the rest with a bargepole, especially when it comes to machines handling water.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I take it that it is a hotpoint machine?

I was quite impressed at their 114 euro fee including parts and labour tbh.

Mostly because my washing machine currently doesn't work at all though and I had no idea if it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

Advertisement