Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bear Grylls: Born Survivor

• 21-01-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The show is entertaining but I can't help but get the impression that he has a huge crew around him. Some shots have are taken from 4 differant angles. I saw him once paraglide down a mountain and they had a shot from the top from the bottom and a distance shot. He must of went and down 10 times to get the shots.

Was funny when he squeezed Elephant dung to get some water to drink:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He also took apart the camel to get water from its insides. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's a load of ****.
    Like a couple of boy scouts faffing about in the woods pretending their Indiana Jones.
    Lots of dramatic naration, whizzing camera angles and constant contradictions.
    It's another Discovery pesudo-doc, scripted up the wazzoo, a step above America's Next Top Model, but not by much.

donotwant.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I like this show! Can't fake eating bugs and all the crap he does. It always amazes me that shows like this tend to make you forget about the camera crew. Those guys have a tough time of it and they get no regocnition.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I like it, I think he is a bit OTT at some points, and I agree with the 10 cameras around him at any one point, but it makes good telly! There was one on last night, and he jumped from a chopper into the water and the camera followed him down at face level... I'd love to see 'The Making Of'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The show is supposedly fake as fook

They all go to a hotel when filming finishes etc etc

The dude is indeed a hardass for drinking the expelled water from elephant sh1t and eating bugs, raw fish and sleeping in a dead deer carcass but the show lacks any real credability

He takes un-necessary risks for the sake of the show. Overly scripted but I still watch it to see will he top drinking the sh1t water. Nothing people in Galway are not used to anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I like the show, cant help laughing at some of the stupid **** he does, a little like jackass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I like the show. Don't care how fake it is it's still entertainment. Did anyone see him jumping into a bog in Scotland last week. It was hilarious.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I think the lad is a tulip. Give me Ray Mears any day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Aye he is a typical english richkid with his posh accent. Bored, so he decided to make a tv show with daddy's money.

Ray mears all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Badu

Ray Mears rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Chief--- wrote: »
    typical english richkid with his posh accent.

Youngest brit to ascent Everest after breaking his back in three places while serving with the special services? I'd say he is tough enough.

I have to laugh when he eats something "in the wild" he always leaves it hanging out of his mouth, wriggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can't take Ray Mears seriously. Telling you how to live off berries and twigs while he's a big fat bastard. He didn't get that from eating foliage. He got it from eating pies.

Born Survivor is very entertaining. Obviously they have to stage some of it and I've noticed they've started to say this now in some episodes every since the fake stories came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Can't take Ray Mears seriously. Telling you how to live off berries and twigs while he's a big fat bastard. He didn't get that from eating foliage. He got it from eating pies.

I had this argument with my girlfriend who also thinks he's a big fat bastard. He's not that big to be fair.
    He just seems to be around lots of skinny massai warriors who run all day.
    He does get a bit preachy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I have to say i enjoy the show. Had to laugh the other day when he was out with some hunter looking for puma and they found a fresh calf kill and the hunter was skining it and Bear asked if you can eat the meat raw and the hunter handed him abit and Bear ate it, then Bear asked if he was not going to have some and the hunter said no it tastes much better cooked! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I think he's a big fake, but Oprah loves him and really promoted the show in the U.S.

Give me Ray Mears any day, he seems so much more "real".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I like the show, but some bits get very annoying. Like the other night, he was nervously scaling crossways across some snow front, but the camera man was 4 feet below walking along fine it seems!

Also, there's always a nicely placed fallen tree across a river.

I've also noticed that he mentions now, since the controversy broke, "I won't be staying tonight, but if I was........ ".

Good show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

i love watching this show, even though it can be seriously ridiculous and fake at times.

i have to question the whole point of him trying to teach us how to survive in these places, if i was stuck out there i'd get so freaked out i'd forget everything and probably willingly kill myself HAH.

did anyone see the patagonia show, at the end hes like half naked trying to cross an ice cold lake on a crappy raft, and he of course fails, so he has to swim back(again half naked) to the shore, and then suddenly the credits roll......yeah bear, way to show us how to survive :rolleyes:

oh and why the hell does he call himself Bear, stupid nickname...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I watch this on Discovery and I love it! Some parts Im like yeh right asif thats real alot of its set up and they show a warning stating that scences are set up etc. I still think its entertaining though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

herobear wrote: »

The focus groups responded well to the name.

M0rketing dontchaknow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

herobear wrote: »

His name is edward..Edward..Eddie..Ted..Teddy..Teddy bear..Bear.See?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Anyone know when the repeats are on? Or if there are any?

There was one in Scotland recently but I missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

po0k wrote: »
    The focus groups responded well to the name.

M0rketing dontchaknow?
    Degsy wrote:
    His name is edward..Edward..Eddie..Ted..Teddy..Teddy bear..Bear.See?
    Ah lads, look at his username!!
    Orlee wrote:
    Anyone know when the repeats are on?
    All the time on Discovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Annnnnnnnnnd ACTION!..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzxsqkxHDVQ

Good man Bear!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Orlee wrote: »
    Anyone know when the repeats are on? Or if there are any?

There was one in Scotland recently but I missed it

The new ones are repeated Sunday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The star of this show is not really Bear, it's the landscape and the spectacular scenery wherever he goes - makes you really want to get out there and take it all in (expect maybe the live snake, ant-eating, etc.).

OK, the man may be a bit of a snake oil salesman, but watching the Sierra Nevada episode the other night where he makes a raft and then uses it to get down a white water river was great TV, the guy must have a few screws loose not wearing any protective head gear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Did ye see the new clip on Discovery - he filters his own wee and drinks it :eek:, to stop wasting fluids :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

MayoForSam wrote: »
    The star of this show is not really Bear, it's the landscape and the spectacular scenery wherever he goes - makes you really want to get out there and take it all in (expect maybe the live snake, ant-eating, etc.).

OK, the man may be a bit of a snake oil salesman, but watching the Sierra Nevada episode the other night where he makes a raft and then uses it to get down a white water river was great TV, the guy must have a few screws loose not wearing any protective head gear though.

I very much doubt he's in any danger..there's a big support crew with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Degsy wrote: »
    I very much doubt he's in any danger..there's a big support crew with him.

To be fair he has to be in a certain amount of danger when he's climbing up a tree or shinneying down a gully. If he falls he gets hurt even if there is a first aid kit down at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Chief--- wrote: »
    Aye he is a typical english richkid with his posh accent. Bored, so he decided to make a tv show with daddy's money.

Ray mears all the way.

Yeah, much prefer a fat boyscout who spends the whole show preaching about the environment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

themadchef wrote: »
    I think he's a big fake

hmmm anyone who spends month basic desert training in the Sahara with the French Foreign Legion dosn't come across as fake to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Bear seems to relish eating disgusting things, even when it is unneccessary. The program is a little confused - the original concept was sound, before his fakery was outed. Now, it doesnt know what it is. Sometimes now, they end with no actual conclusion.

So, he eats spiders when he cant find anything else in the desert. Drinks the moisture from Elephant shoite, or last night drinks blood from the jugular of a yak.

How many scorpions can you find in the sahara that will provide enough protien for you to escape? How many freshly killed yaks will you come accross in siberia, that you would be so desperate to go straight for the jugular. How much longer can you live off fresh elephant shoite. Surely if there is fresh elephant shoite about there are elephants and other vegetation. It wouldnt be for the soundbytes and trailers that he does this??

I suppose its all an escape from reality, and wouldnt want to take it too seriously but he does seem to actively seek the most disgusting thing to consume, whether he needs to or not. Not most of the time, given that he stays in hotels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

What the feck was he doing jumping into the freezing water last night when all he had to do was move up 3 meters and step across??:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Look of course there are gonna be some inconsistencies in the programme. It is a TV show after all. Im sure it's a task in itself to lug about cameras etc in the sort of environments they visit. Personally I think it's a FAB show :) A very refreshing change from all the Desperate Housewife rubbish that's constantly showed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah, much prefer a fat boyscout who spends the whole show preaching about the environment...

Lmao well said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Grylls=faker http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6911748.stm
    Ray Mears FTW

But theres only one Johnny Kingdom, love him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

DaveMcG wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    wanna know why hes such a big guy? because he's so good with the survival skills he eats like a king anywhere :p
    bear grylls my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why does everyone complain that he sleeps in hotels some nights? Why shouldn't he? He is still doing the job on camera of showing what you may do if you ever find yourself in this situation.
    I like ray mears show too, but there is too much stuff to remember. Bears' is more basic. Ray is like the Gourmet of survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Theres a Canadian fellow who has some good programmes, anyone know his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

WindSock wrote: »
    Why does everyone complain that he sleeps in hotels some nights? Why shouldn't he? He is still doing the job on camera of showing what you may do if you ever find yourself in this situation.

Because he implied that he was toughin it out so he is a loser.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

kowloon wrote: »
    Theres a Canadian fellow who has some good programmes, anyone know his name?

is it survivorman? taped a few off discovery but never watched them.
    good name for a superhero....he cannot die, he's Survivorman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

saw a great doc with bear the other night when he flew higher than everest with nothing but a parachute and an engine strapped to his back. amazing stuff.

as for born survivor, it's popcorn tv. cant understand why people get worked up and call him a fake etc. ffs, just watching one episode you'd know there's about ten other people out there with him filming. it's entertaining though, and i quite enjoy watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i think bear grylls is a complete ledgend, the things he does on his show is qualitiy.

if you like bear grylls post a comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Coincidently I made a post about him about 10 min ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55737866&postcount=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

ok didnt know there was already one so you can just ignore this one

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

plus the bear is a fake anyway:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement