Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop The Press - Aldi selling quality German Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

My closest Aldi is Rathmines... Anyone seen any good stuff there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

after seeing this thread resurected yesterday, i had a look in the aldi in limerick....still had a few cases left....i had thought it was only a one off the last time i bought it a couple of months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If it move quickly off the shelfs they maybe be encouraged to make it a more permanent fixture

oblivious wrote: »
    If it move quickly off the shelfs they maybe be encouraged to make it a more permanent fixture

i'm doing my best in limerick anyway ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As long as InBev continue to supply it at the severely undercut prices that Aldi are doubtless paying them for it. They made a huge mistake by allowing Stella to be sold cheaply and nearly destroyed the brand in the UK in the process. They may not be so keen for Spaten to be regarded as a low-cost beer outside Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well 1.78 aint that cheap. The stella they sell here in ireland could not be considered a 'quality' beer be any means. God knows I have drunk enough of the stuff.

when u put it beside the other imported german beers it might "look" cheap at €1.78....but then the germans would laugh at us paying even that price for it....

kmick wrote: »
    The stella they sell here in ireland could not be considered a 'quality' beer be any means.
    Indeed. But the quality of the product has nothing to do with the brand strength of mass-produced lagers. It's all about how it looks and how much it costs. Smoke, mirrors, but no flavours. Flavours upset people.

Redmond's, for instance, no longer sells Budvar in cans. The very presence of the cans was adversely affecting bottle sales of the same beer. Totally irrational, but it shows that it's all about brand perception.
    Gryzor wrote:
    but then the germans would laugh at us paying even that price for it....
    Yes, but Aldi don't get to keep all of the €1.78. They're still buying it cheap and passing the saving on, punitive tax regime notwithstanding. For the purposes of the Irish market, half a litre of lager at under €2 is cheap beer.

Gryzor wrote: »
    when u put it beside the other imported german beers it might "look" cheap at €1.78....but then the germans would laugh at us paying even that price for it....

yep, but they would also laugh at us for been 80% owner occupiers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yeah but we live in ireland not germany. We would laugh at them for not crossing the road on a red man when there is no trafffic coming.

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    Yeah but we live in ireland not germany. We would laugh at them for not crossing the road on a red man when there is no trafffic coming.

i was only making a point about the massive differance in price of the same product in the 2 countries, not the culture of the country.....

i was only making a point about the massive differance in price of the same product in the 2 countries, not the culture of the country.....

True, i also supose places like Germany and Czech Republic still some what hold a view of beer as liquid bread or as a part of your food intake. So there maybe less tolerance in paying inflated prices prices for a local product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

eh, this doesn't quite count in the quality german beer stakes but has anyone tasted this before
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_5609.htm
    Schofferhofer with Grapefruit? Only 2.5%, probably not my kind of brew but could be worth a punt at a fiver for a 6-pack

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dereko1969 wrote: »
    eh, this doesn't quite count in the quality german beer stakes but has anyone tasted this before
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_5609.htm
    Schofferhofer with Grapefruit? Only 2.5%, probably not my kind of brew but could be worth a punt at a fiver for a 6-pack

Looks disgusting to be honest - it's probably part lager part grapefruit juice.

Looks disgusting to be honest - it's probably part lager part grapefruit juice.
    Well, it's a weissbier not a lager, but I can't imagine how else they'd make it other than by mixing the beer with the fruit juice, what with Germany's laws on beer ingredients.

I wonder does it say on the label "Brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot, then adulterated"?

From their website it looks like it's designed for kiddies who would otherwise be on the alcopops.

"Weizenbier aus der Flasche? Kein Problem."
    *shudder*

Still gonna get some. How bad can it be?

Schofferhofer fruit weissbier are very popular in Germany, actual as far as i saw most weissbier breweries all have a range

Also in bars you can get fruit puree/syrup shot in the weissbier, the strangest had was banana puree in a wheat beer interesting, one is enough and certainly not something to have with a doggy stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

BeerNut wrote: »
    Still gonna get some. How bad can it be?
    well was it bad?

I didn't say I was going to drop everything and run to buy it, then quaff the lot :) (though it has been known).

Results, in time, will be posted in the usual place.

It's actually really nice, but then I'm currently drinking it in the sunshine. I wouldn't recommend it at any other time.

It tastes a lot like Lilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Hey, what's with the Spaten Hellas? I picked up some Spaten in Aldi, quite sweet beer, nice. But wondering is the Hellas tag any different? Doesn't say that anywhere on the bottle. Excuse my ignorance.

• Advertisement

Helles means it's a pale, clear, sweet Munich-style lager, as against a pilsner, dunkel, Oktoberfestbier, or any of the other varieties of beer that the Spaten brewery makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

BeerNut, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like I have Helles beer, but it doesn't say it on it :/

Munich-style lagers are generally made with Munich malt and which has a richer taste. Where as a standard pilsner is made with pilsner malt which will have a clear profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Has anybody tried any of the Ayinger beers? Its a small private Bavarian brewery just outside Munich.My local off-licence are selling a Hefe Weissbier ,
    a Dunkels Weissbier and an Export Helles beer.I haven't tried the Dunkels
    beer yet as I'm not a big fan of the darker Weissbier's but man are the Hellas
    and Weissbier tasty.The Export Hellas has a very strong full bodied taste but its delicious,the Weissbier has also a strong full bodied taste but also a very refreshing taste.A must for any wheat beer connoisseur.I will even go as far as saying the Ayinger Weissbier is nicer than franziskaner weissbier.It ain't cheap though,my local off license are selling it at 2.85 a bottle but I don't mind paying that little extra for such high quality Bavarian beers.

simon333 wrote: »
    It sounds like I have Helles beer, but it doesn't say it on it :/
    Under the big capitalised "Spaten" it should say "Münchner Hell" in cursive writing.
    PWEI wrote:
    Has anybody tried any of the Ayinger beers?
    Yep. If your offy isn't stocking Celebrator as well, ask them to get it in. It's magnificent.

Nice to see doppelbocks in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

BeerNut wrote: »
    Under the big capitalised "Spaten" it should say "Münchner Hell" in cursive writing.

Yep. If your offy isn't stocking Celebrator as well, ask them to get it in. It's magnificent.

Hi BeerNut,do you know anywhere in Dublin that stocks Celebrator?
    I asked my local offy could they get it in but they weren't intrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Makes me feel happy to be in Sligo at the moment. Lidl is here and unfortunately Aldi is not. From what I hear Aldi has a bigger stock of beers than Lidl but the quality is not as good as Lidl. Quality over quantity I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

hmm, as a fellow sligonian i must ask, what beer does teh lidl have?

• Advertisement

PWEI wrote: »
    Hi BeerNut,do you know anywhere in Dublin that stocks Celebrator?
    Saw it yesterday in Drink Store on Manor Street, but I'd have thought any of the good beer offies would have it: Redmond's, McHugh's, Sheil's, Carvill's, Deveney's etc.

Advertisement