Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting power to PCs

• 21-01-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

The boss wanted all PCs (60) shutdown at night so I scheduled shutdown.exe. Then he noticed that the monitors were not powering down but going into standby. He aslo noticed that the NICs were also still receiving power.

For the monitors if I use a plug-in timer & extension lead how many PC/Monitors can a have per timer ? Spec's say Maximum load 13A, 3kW.

Also, if disable WOL will this cut power to the NIC?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Depends on how close each monitor is. for instance are there four monitors to one 4 gang socket? Setup will depend on how many timers you need. Boss saving energy but penny pinching on the setup??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The PCs are in groups of four. I was hoping to use an 8 gang socket - 4 x PC, 4 x Monitor - I now have include the PCs also as some of the BIOS don't have weekday only auto-boot so they are on at the weekend for nothing.

I was wondering about the Maximum Load bit. This is power in to the timer not PC power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well you will have to take the load of the all the baseunits and the monitors total them up and see against the rating of any timer you purchase. That should sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Four PC/monitors should be well under the 3kw. Anyone know if one of these timers will stop power to the NIC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Yip, if you use a timer - it will completely shut the power to everything plugged into it. Only problem is the timers are also using a bit of power :D

Freaks me out the amount of people in my office who leave there monitors on at night/weekends. Or have the aircon running because it gets a bit warm in the office (open a damn window), but the best is when the windows are open, the heaters are on and they have the aircon running - like common people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Dont' have time at the moment to Google around, but what about a relay (electrically operated switch)? Not sure if you can get a 220v one but ...???

Advertisement