Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapierre/Giant FCR1? - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have the '07 Lapierre 500 and I think its great. The way the guy sold it to me over the Giant was better Shimano components, but I think I was actually comparing the 300 to the FCR 2.

I think the Lapierre is a great fast smooth bike, but I was coming from having a hybrid more on the mountain bike end before.

Basically go into the shop and ask for a test ride on each and ask their opinions, as they are close inprice you should get a honest enough answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for that Dub Skav - kinda what I wanted to hear!

Tried the 500 and an FCR 2 on the weekend. Both really nice. I can get the Lapierre for €800, so reckon I will go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

very little in it.

i've had a go on an fcr but not the rcr (christ, even the names are nearly identical) and it's a nice bike. i'd go for the giant for two (minor) reasons: 105 dérailleur on the back (slightly better than tiagra, supposedly, though in a blind test who can tell the difference really) and second: compact double crankset as opposed to a full triple. this is personal preference, i think a full triple is overkill and is just an extra chainring to have to carry, and a compact double gives you a comparable range (i'm presuming your not planning on tackling the alp d'huez on it here).

wheels might be a consideration, but i don't know which is the better set. r500 are tiagra wheels (i think) so are at the lower end of the shimano range, but pretty strong i'd imagine. i predict you'd be pretty happy with either bike to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I have an FCR1 myself, 2007 model. It's a lovely bike, has never caused me to say a bad word about it. As the others are saying, the main difference is in the dérailleur. My 105 set has remained perfectly indexed despite having swallowed and regurgitated bits of twigs and sheets of newspapers that are among the hazards of my commute.

I have no experience with the Lapierre so can't really comment on it.

Interestingly, in relation to niceonetom's comment, my 07 model has a triple rather than the 08's compact double crankset.

Thanks for the posts lads - much appreciated.

The Giant seems to be a bit better specced alright, though €100 more expensive.

Will flick a coin tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tempe

Interested to see what you decide on....I'm looking at getting the FCR2 in the next couple of months as the Giant bikes seem to get reviews on this site.

As a matter of interest, is this a commuting bike or a weekend training bike? Just wondering why you're chosing a flat bar over a racing bike.

Hi Tempe,

The bike will be mainly for exercising and doing trips I would have done in the car until now. At some stage over the next year I will be commuting about 10 miles round trip to college.

I have been deliberating on whether to get a road bike or a hybrid for a couple of months. Now, after coming to no well founded conclusion, I am going with my gut feeling - I'm pretty tall, with a bad back, so reckon the hybrid will be a bitmore uprights and relaxing. It seems to be a good mix of everything to me.

Will let you know how it goes - gona order it on the weekend!

Advertisement