Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idle revving problem...help!

Options
  • 21-01-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

The car

1999 Audi A4 1.6

The problem

Car is revving when in neutral, sometimes it's fine usually in the beginning of the drive but the revving issue happens usually after 20 minutes or so, or it might just happen immediately after turning it on. It usually revs between 2000 and 3000rpm. It can saty like that for a couple of minutes easily.... just flucuating between 2000 and 3000 rpm until I satrt to drive and then rev might just hover around the 2000 mark for a while, all of which is making for an very disturbing driving experience.
    Now I got it serviced last month and the problem more or less went away but it's back already. Any thoughts on what it might be beofre I bring it back to the garage....
    PS Car drives and appears otherwise fine, temp etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

it sounds like a throtlebody body issue.

I'd clean the unit and do a reset / adaptation clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

VeVeX wrote: »
    it sounds like a throtlebody body issue.

I'd clean the unit and do a reset / adaptation clear.

+1

Check cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Its usually a vacume (air) leak or a duff sensor/cable issue
    as stated check you around your trottle throttle body and intake manifold, check all cables and sensors for moisture dissconnect them one by one and see if that helps. .
    Also check and rubber hoses intake pipes for splits , tears. You could spray some carb spray round an that will find a leak.
    Might be an easy fix, could be a nightmare that WILL drag on for months.
    You chould check out an Audi owners club (VAG websites) and if lucky you find and answer in seconds on the forumns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Cheers lads..thanks

Have just realised that I have too much engine oil in my car? Could this be the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

only one way to find out

• Advertisement
Advertisement