Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naming Children

• 21-01-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Are there any legal restrictions on what names a parent can give to a child?

If there aren't any set out in law, can a registrar refuse to register a name they consider inappropriate? If so, on what grounds?

This is a discussion I had with a colleague today. We're not aware of any restrictions in law. And on one level it makes sense that a registrar could refuse to, say, allow a child's name to be registered using obscenities for names. Imagine someone calling their child "C***y F***face". I can't imagine anyone being that evil, but in theory it's possible.

But if a registrar *can* refuse, how do we stop them from abusing the privilege? It's all well and good that they can refuse to register "C***y F***face". But next they decide they don't like "William". Or "Richard". Or "Kevin". And then we're well and truly on the slippery slope.

Just wondering how Irish law deals with such things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

I wouldn't know where to look to find out. However, there is provision for this in the naming of companies under the Companies Acts. So it would not be surprising if such a situation existed in other state bodies for the registry of names of various sorts.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No doubt the answer is somewhere in Births and Deaths Registration Acts, 1863 to 1994.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That has been superseded by the Civil Registration Act 2004.

I can tell you is that the surname of the child has to be either the mothers, the fathers or both. As regards the first names I am unsure. When I changed my name a few years ago the High Court would only accept proper first names. Initials like LJ etc were not allowed. They have a book of acceptable names and if the name is not there they will not register the deed poll.

I would assume the same applies to registrars. But there is absolutely nothing in the legislation about first names of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ah s*it I was planning on calling my child Ronaldinho

Advertisement