Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BenQ Lost Laptop

Options
  • 21-01-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I purchased a Joybook in Hong Kong last year with international warranty. I sent the system into BenQ service centre for warranty repair December 13.

The finally got a replacement motherboard and shipped the unit on Thursday Jan 10. The laptop got lost in transit between London and Dublin. BenQ use a 3rd party logistics provider called Parcel Express. I have the tracking number but they cannot find the machine.

Firstly have to go back and forth with BenQ to get a replacement. I am pretty confident that they'll do that part.

I know that the owner is responsible for backing up their data before sending the unit in and BenQ required that I send in the complete unit.

However, is BenQ liable for the fact that all my data is on that laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Absolutly not. Unfortunatly if you didn't back up your data externally you may be out of luck.

Take it as a very valuable lesson ... back up regularly ... to at least one external source.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

whippet wrote: »
    Absolutly not. Unfortunatly if you didn't back up your data externally you may be out of luck.

Take it as a very valuable lesson ... back up regularly ... to at least one external source.

Hi Whippet. I can see now my post is ambiguous. I have an image of the machine taken before I sent it. Standard t & c of a support contract that your data may get wiped in fixing the machine while in the repair centre.

What I meant to say is, should BenQ be responsible for compromising my personal and business data by losing the laptop after repairing it?

As opposed to accidentally or having to wipe my data during the course of repair which is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most companies say in their warranty that they are not liable for your data. Check your to see if it says that. If it does, it's not liable for your data.

Advertisement