Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Galway!

Options
  • 21-01-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

im new to Galway - have only been living down here for 3 weeks!

i dont know that many people....was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to meet people or what there is to do in Galway?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Welcome to Galway!

If you're in uni you should check out the clubs and socs there as its always a good way of meeting people.

Check the Galway advertiser for clubs you might be interested in joining and any events going on around the place. Its usually got alot of info packed in there.

Enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Are you a girl?

Are you hot?

If your answer to the 2 above questions is YES, you'll have no problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

tact--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

hey guys!

in answer to your questions john....yes and yes!!

ha ha

not in the uni....working in parkmore! :)

living in doughiska!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

pics or it's not true

• Advertisement

hey guys!

in answer to your questions john....yes and yes!!

ha ha

not in the uni....working in parkmore! :)

living in doughiska!

Good side of town :) used to work there myself and live in Oranmore. Are you enjoying the morning traffic?

ha ha

its not too bad...havent brought my car down yet so im bussing it at the moment. i start at 8.30 so its all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are plenty of new people here. I guess they'll see this thread soon and suggest a Spring Beers.

ha ha

its not too bad...havent brought my car down yet so im bussing it at the moment. i start at 8.30 so its all good :)

Lucky you! that traffic breaks my balls

im bringing my car down from Dublin next month so its all good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hold onto some randoms strangers leg and don't let go until they agree to be your best friend. Crying and begging helps strike up a rapport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya welcome to galway!
    be prepared to never leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Welcome! check out the local papers and see aht's on that you fancy going to...a few of us are starting a jive class for a laugh on wednesday night in the city centre if that's youre thing..not really sure if it's any of our thing but it's a fantastic way to meet people, I did swing for a few years to meet people and and did exactly that....if it's not your thing, find a gig, or go to a boards beer night!

hi Lady,

thanks for that! :)

cant make wednesday nights im afraid...have started a volunteer thing on wednesday!

but thanks for the advice....much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Sound, well let me know if you need a night out!

will do! :)

going home this weekend......maybe next weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't bother with classes: they're structured so you come together for a few weeks, learn stuff, then everyone goes away.

Instead, join clubs: they're organised as on-going things, and there's an incentive for existing members to welcome new members. It doesn't really matter what clubs, just anything that you're interested in.

The only exception is classes run by clubs (eg "intro to bridge" run by a bridge club), where they're using the class as a recruitment ground for the club.

IMNSHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

These type of threads (I am new to Galway) usually end up being something that a stalker would love.
    Person says, I am new to Galway.
    Person gets asked if they are a male or female.
    If female, person gets ask are they hot and have they got pics.
    Now,
    I know it appears to be a bit of fun however does it really have to be repeated for every one of these type threads?

Anyway, I would recommend the clubs and socs in any of the colleges. Depends entirely on what you are into I suppose. If you are into running/fitness, theres a couple of running clubs and a fairly active tag rugby/soccer scene.

thanks Kippy.

i would love to start tag rugby.....never done it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, This will be my first year playing, one of the lads is organising it but will find out who you need to contact to get involved if you want.
    The Spring league is starting in late March I think. As I said, will find out and post back again.
    Theres plenty walking areas round and outside the city as well.
    What are your interests and I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dazbags

Hi,

I'm new to Galway too. Moved into the city centre just before Christmas. Seems like a great place but would like to get to meet some people. I work in Oranmore but start early enough so haven't had too many problems with the traffic, usually get in in about 15/20 mins.

Have never used one of these boards before either so lots of new experiences!

Have been online earlier looking at volunteering and have narrowed it down to a few I'm interested in - how's that going for you Kitten?

Thought about the swing but have no co-ordination so probably not a good idea - meet people and stamp on their toes probably won't endear me to anyone!

Just found a thread (?!) about a book club - sounds like a way to meet people. Would be interested in hearing anymore ideas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've been here nearly a year and whilst working from home hasn't helped, meeting lovely boards people has, as have things like open mic, getting drunk, joining a decent gym. This year I'm also going to try 'having no shame', smiling and breaking into song on the bus.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement