Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarms

Options
  • 21-01-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything bout alarms
    or the cheapest place in Limerick for a home Alarm system?
    Ideally a website where you could auto generate a quote would be great
    without having them to contact you or you having to ring them and getting
    roped into a sales pitch.

Recommendations welcome as there are loads of number in the Golden pages
    but I cant see too many websites (that are up to date)

Have heard horror stories of people being charged over 2000 Euro's a system
    theres no way i could afford this as I got loads of other things around
    the house I need to do and save for first.

My house already has its doors and windows wired for an alarm and its only
    a 3 Bed Semi so I presuming this would reduce the overall cost of installation.

I already have a Yale wireless system but may favour switching over to a wired
    system in the future as a couple of years down the line I may get a 3rd party monitored
    if I can ever afford it.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No fancy websites or the likes but I used a local company and found them very good. No bull**** from them and their prices were very reasonable imo.

Also a very important thing is that their work is very neat and tidy, my house was not pre wired but they hid the wiring as best they could, limiting the amount of drilling holes, etc. Very professional indeed.

PM me if you want the guy's name and mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

bazz26 wrote: »
    No fancy websites or the likes but I used a local company and found them very good. No bull**** from them and their prices were very reasonable imo.

Also a very important thing is that their work is very neat and tidy, my house was not pre wired but they hid the wiring as best they could, limiting the amount of drilling holes, etc. Very professional indeed.

PM me if you want the guy's name and mobile number.

Soundist

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We've got a 3 bed semi and I think ours was €1600 2 years ago (had to be wired though). My dad went with it because it was the cheapest, but I reckon it's a false economy to have an alarm unless it's monitored. It's too late once it's gone off. Also we only got sensors no window mounts. I reckon any proper alarm system should have both. Ring around. I've heard Cliffords are good, but they were "too expensive" and the Eircom phonewatch system gets a lot of good press.

I imagine any good alarm system would cost €3-4k for a 3 bed semi with a monitoring fee of about €150-€200.

My budget would need to be well under a grand.

I despise Eircom, I'm with Smart so would not want to leave them.
    So it would have to by a system that did not interfere with my
    broadband/phone provider. (Fairly hefty fees for monitoring as well :eek:)

Don't like the idea of PIR's as that means if they go off someones
    already in your house. I also got cats some of which are indoors.
    I know some systems have pet friendly PIR's but I would not trust them.

The Yale system might get me by until I can save to get a better system in place.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Get a Doberman.

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Get a Doberman.

I got 12 cats. They scare the ****e out of any and all dogs
    in the neighbour hood!!! They actually chase and bully the the
    dogs in the area. We had a town fox visit a few times
    and the cats ganged up on it. the Fox was scared.
    (I'd love a Doberman but I would need to first
    save in order to but built a wall at 3 sides of my garden cos
    the cheap ass builder only provides two strands of wire and some concrete
    posts!)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mid West Alarms are pretty good, and theres no bullsh!t in the quote, no "salespitch" very tidy work too. Especially if ur already wired.

PIRs can be used in conjunction with window sensors for maximum protection, and all modern systems can be programmed with various levels of protection, so say u know the animals are gonna be confined to two rooms, u can have those PIR bypassed.

Advertisement