Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Sunday

• 21-01-2008 1:01pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ski Sunday started back up again last night, although I missed the first few minutes.

Had some good footage from the downhill race in Kitzbuhel with a bad crash on the last jump where the guy still crossed the line, but unconsious and with his helmet smashed off his head from the impact.

Was very impresed with Bode though who messed up on part of the run and actually skiied along the side netting for part of the way but still kept it together and then still managed to finish equal second!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what's ski sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

That crash was one of the best/ worst I have seen in a long time- haven't heard how long he'll be out, but during the replays, I was literally watching through one eye from behind a cushion! Even though his helmet smashed and came off his head altogether, I can only assume it took a lot of the initial impact. Even though I'll seldom be clocking 140kph, think an auld lid could be a good investment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Due to reasons beyond my control I spent all Sunday curled up on the couch.. anyway I couldn't find any Snow related Tv all day (Apart from Ski Sunday which starts at 7 in the evening).

I remember last year you could watch SnowSports all day Sunday, jumping in between Extreme Sports, BBC and Sky Sports..

Has Tv given up on SnowSports?

Just watching that Video the speed they pick up! Great run by Bode though if he hadn't messed up at the start he would have been an impressive run! You have to respect the man for Skiing the net, he should have won some sort "People's Champion" medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For the last few weekends they had loads of skiing on Eurosport, both Alpine and Cross Country, but this w/e it all disappeared for no apparent reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was Scott MacCartney that had the huge crash at the end but it seems that he is "OK" although still in hostpital at the moment I think. Clicky

I think there was more coverage on the BBC2 interactive channels from what they were saying at the end of Ski Sunday, don't have any of that myself though so I'm not sure.

When they were showing the speed trap times earlier in the run and it was at 100kph I thought they were going a touch slow as I clocked myself at 93kph last week, but that was just the first time point, I don't think I'd be trying that last jump at 140kph though as that is just plain crazy. The helmet definately saved him in that crash though as although it only came off on the second impact, without it it would have been his skull that was cracked against the surface and that would not have been a good result. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Thanks <3<3 Much love!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I got my family to tape this, can't wait to see it. Just back from Kitzbuehel today, first time skiing and had never heard of the Hahnenkamm run, but think we'll try to make it back for next year, the atmosphere was fantastic. Also, we met the presenter and cameraman of Ski Sunday, and inadvertendly had them kicked out of the pub...(they were 'defending our honour' from some pervy Italians...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was that you at the end of the show drinking schnapps with one of the Bell brothers then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Unfortunately not. But I'd like to see it, it was probably just a few people away from us. And are you sure it wasn't Jägermeister? That was what everybody was drinking (including the barmen, waitresses, security...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Was it just me, or was this program in serious need of some editing. There was only about 30 mins of material stretched out for an hour. The train ride to Siberia piece took almost as long as the real thing.
    d2ww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

and of that 30 mins about 5 was actual skiing, i wish they'd get back to being 'ski' sunday...even though Siberia looked cool...

Anybody catch Ski Sunday last night? There was a feature in which Graham Bell and Ed Leigh raced from Tignes to Val Thorens, with Graham confined to pistes (90 miles), with Ed taking the direct, but obviously more difficult, off-piste route (23 miles).

My question doesn't strictly relate to the feature, but Ed was wearing a matt white helmet, made by Bern (think the model was the baker)- anybody know of anywhere in Ireland that stocks thjis brand/ model? Don't think Great Outdoors do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thanks James,

Price IS good, but wary about sizes without trying on. Tried to measure circumference of my head while at my desk, but got some pretty funny looks...

Only heard about this crash tonight, but they understandably didn't show it in the coverage of the Norwegian World Cup event in the last episode of Ski Sunday from this weekend.

Matthias Lanziger crashed through a gate but then one of his ski's didn't release as he tumbled down the hill. You see his leg VERY badly twisted round during this video so probably not for the squeamish.

This resulted in his leg being amputated as they couldn't restore the blood flow to the leg once they got him to hospital.

watched the youtube clip, and it is pretty grim.

only happened last sunday, and news broke on tuesday that he is to have his leg amputated. genuinely horrific stuff...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/7276694.stm

Advertisement