Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpackers Travel Insurance question - Please Help!

• 21-01-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I cannot find an insurance company that will re-imburse me for the full amount if any of my personal items are stolen etc.

Here's the problem. They all have a set max claim for one item, and you have to pay an excess.

So for instance, my camera (which is what I am concerned about) is worth €600. But 123.ie(total policy costs €195) have a limit of €250 max per item, with a €100 excess. So, say my camera is stolen, I pay my €100 excess and get €250 max back. So for my insured item (worth €600), I get net €150. RAW DEAL!

I have shopped around everywhere, and while other companys have slightly better max limits for 1 item, they are significantly more expensive. (for example: World Nomads - who have been recommended on these forums before - they have €100 excess too, but a €400 limit. Still only means net €300, and their policy is more than €100 dearer @ just over €300!)

Can anyone help me out here? I really dont want to have to be worrying about my camera while I am away, and I think the only way I'll be happy is if I could name it on the policy for its full value. Know any comanys that do this (remembering that I am on a backpacker budget!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Woofer wrote: »
    I cannot find an insurance company that will re-imburse me for the full amount if any of my personal items are stolen etc.

Here's the problem. They all have a set max claim for one item, and you have to pay an excess.

So for instance, my camera (which is what I am concerned about) is worth €600. But 123.ie(total policy costs €195) have a limit of €250 max per item, with a €100 excess. So, say my camera is stolen, I pay my €100 excess and get €250 max back. So for my insured item (worth €600), I get net €150. RAW DEAL!

I have shopped around everywhere, and while other companys have slightly better max limits for 1 item, they are significantly more expensive. (for example: World Nomads - who have been recommended on these forums before - they have €100 excess too, but a €400 limit. Still only means net €300, and their policy is more than €100 dearer @ just over €300!)

Can anyone help me out here? I really dont want to have to be worrying about my camera while I am away, and I think the only way I'll be happy is if I could name it on the policy for its full value. Know any comanys that do this (remembering that I am on a backpacker budget!)

I don't think you're going to have much luck. Most companies have an excess, I think Trailfinders might pay out up to 500 per item but it cost me over 300 euros for 9 months insurance with them. Is there any chance you can bring a cheaper camera that you won't be so anxious about? I've spent years backpacking all over the world and have never had anything stolen from me but if you're going to be so worried that it'll ruin your holiday than it's not worth it.

Advertisement