Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands toughest town

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jumpy wrote: »
    Actually, you might find that necro-threads are actually frowned upon and generally locked.

+1

Old thread is old.

As for his (barely coherent) point, one of my best buddies in college is from Castleisland. He's one of the nicest gents I've ever met. Something tells me the poster in question is over-reacting a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Jumpy wrote: »
    Actually, you might find that necro-threads are actually frowned upon and generally locked.

That's hilarious, i've seen people start threads that are locked because 'it's been done before' then when someone replies to an old thread it gets locked, unnecessarily complicated

On topic I think the smaller towns and villages are worse than the bigger ones as there's very sporadic garda presence in these places

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mud wrote: »
    That's hilarious, i've seen people start threads that are locked because 'it's been done before' then when someone replies to an old thread it gets locked, unnecessarily complicated

Surely, if he wanted to make such a fierce assessment of Castleisland, he should have posted it in the Kerry forum? It's not as if he even wanted to discuss the general issue of tough towns, he just launched into a barely legible rant.
    mud wrote:
    On topic I think the smaller towns and villages are worse than the bigger ones as there's very sporadic garda presence in these places

That's a very general statement. When you compare the amount of attention urban attacks get in the media to the minute news-worthiness of small villages, it seems to negate your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Spent a few days in Carrick-On Suir that weren't too pleasant..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

1huge1 wrote: »
    Rathkeale and NCW may be limericks toughest towns but their deffinetely not Ireland's

Tuam, Tullamore.

And if you include northern ireland (dont know why you would but what the hell) id say derry

Pfft, Tuam isn't tough! You just don't get on the wrong side of the Travellers or the Foreigners, same as any town!

From what I hear, Shannon is pretty tough and dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

castleisland is well hard be-jaysus. to be sure.

:rolleyes: get urself up the country kid. and stop watchin them gangsta films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Any town with a knacker population is to be avoided IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ireland in total then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Drogheda, dundalk and tipp town are the worst i've seen. I know Newcastle west can be but not as bad as everyone making out. just stay away from whispers night club haha. Tipp town and newport are awful scum holes

zuroph wrote: »
    ireland in total then.
    Yes basically ireland is a big lump of ****e. move to menorca and work in a quiet cocktail bar getting hammered and riding every female around. thats the dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tullamore is fair bad!

Dude can you not quote??!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Tullamore is fair bad!

Oh please, Tullamore is about as rough a quilted toilet paper, grew up not very far away from there (but far enough away that i dont know every native of the town) spent my youth in the harriers, and then the Bridge, ALWAYS feel safe in Tullamore, know a few people from the "roughest" areas of the town and its harmless, if you want to mention somewhere from Offaly, how about Edenderry, Clara or even Kilcormac??? They not on the same scale of some places i have lived like Tipp town!!!! such a high concentration of scum!!! at least in Limerick is it somehow diluted by the "normal" people!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

have only been to kilrush a couple of times but found it rough as ~@&*. full of skangers, scumbags and of course our ethnic minority friends. mate of mine worked there for 3 years and could not wait to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    what do you think the toughest town in Ireland is? one of those places wher you just try avoiding at all times..ie loud tunes blaring out of the 'locals' cars etc..crime through the roof..anti social behaviour etc...i think rathkeale is atrocious! highest percentace of itinerents in the country..most intimidating place iv been to..crazy drivers..crazy looking ppl, place looks abandoned and delapitated..scary out!

I not from Rathkeale but i did go to school there. I can't believe you actually think its a rough town! People who've never even been in the town have this idea in their head as Rathkeale being dog rough, in the same way that some folk think everyone in Limerick carries a knife around with them! :rolleyes: If you'd spent any sustained period of time in
    Rathkeale you'd know thats it not at all rough. Run down, yes, but not rough. Sure half the town is travellers, but that does not automatically make it rough. The travellers keep to themselves, there is little or no trouble between them and the settled community living there. There are no large housing estates in Rathkeale, so there's never been any great scumbag element, in fact Rathkeale per capita has one of the lowest crime levels in the country. I'd happily walk through it any time of the day or night.

Contrast this to Newcastle West which is gone to the dogs and is ten times rougher than Rathkeale. In my 24 years, i've never experienced any hassle or trouble in Rathkeale, yet i've nearly been assaulted twice in Newcastle, and have seen numerous fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nenagh on a saturday night can be rough with all the farmers looking for fights

Yea I agree with greenache. I've been to rathkeale to this little restaurant/pub place. one of the nicest restaurants I have ever been in and food was unbelievably nice. Travellers were eating with other locals in there and getting on fine. The place might be a bit run down but fairly friendly. I think the bad things that have happened in rathkeale are people from Limerick city and patrickswell robbing the place. Although I heard of a guy that went to school with me going to rathkeale to get a shot gun. wether or not thats true I don't know. But rathkeale seems fine to me.

everywhere on a saturday night is like that. even the energisers out in raheen haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tipp town is the worst town I know

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

TheLoc wrote: »
    Drogheda, dundalk and tipp town are the worst i've seen. I know Newcastle west can be but not as bad as everyone making out. just stay away from whispers night club haha. Tipp town and newport are awful scum holes
    i duno what tipp town is like,,but i go out in newport every 3 or 4 weeks for 2 yrs now and have yet to see any fights,,it's by no means a scum hole,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

:An Fhile"That's a very general statement. When you compare the amount of attention urban attacks get in the media to the minute news-worthiness of small villages, it seems to negate your argument.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you're gonna have to clarify your argument for me? I made an observation stating that in my opinion smaller towns are worse sh1tholes than cities, probably because there isn't a garda presence, what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Waterford is the place where you're most likely to get hassle for no reason in my experience.
    I wouldn't say it's the "toughest" town exactly, since there are plenty of places where you'd encounter people far more dangerous than in Waterford - but they'd generally be less likely to start crap for no reason...Frustrated young guys trying to prove themselves are probably the most likely people to start crap for no reason, but they're not usually the most dangerous attackers.
    Darndale is a tough town I think.

mud wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're gonna have to clarify your argument for me? I made an observation stating that in my opinion smaller towns are worse sh1tholes than cities, probably because there isn't a garda presence, what's your point?

Forget it. This forum has gone down the toilet recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

An Fhile wrote: »
    Forget it. This forum Country has gone down the toilet recently.

Fixed that for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

to be honest im surprised nobodies mentioned sligo ,with 5 or so gang killings,around 4 of which were shootings,one in broad daylight in the centre of town, in the last six years.a feud that has never gone away.lot of done up cars,fights are so common you barely even pass any heed.pubs with blood on the ceilings.now its one of the biggest towns in ireland so obviously you have your fair share of decent people and places but with the largest estate outside of dublin along with several other tough estates and places that if you park your car theres a good chance it will be burnt out,windows smashed or robbed it has to get a mention at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Anybody see Louis Theroux in Philadelphia last night?

Now, that's a scary town.

Don't build prisons, build walls around their estates and that'll sort them out.

I fear more people in Limerick than I did when I lived in Queens Park, Walthamstow and New Cross. Three areas with very bad reputations but I never felt threatened.

Did anyone mention Ennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanakiller

the roughest town in ireland is definitly castleisland Co.Kerry ( no1 unlawful town rated by the star newspaper back in 2007!!) its a ****hole full of scumbag/chavs, 'little' whores and junkies as young as 11 getting high, stabbings were rife 4 years ago, but cud happen again in two years wen the towns most dangerous resisdent comes out of prison, another guy stuck a pike through a dublin transfer shade(gardi) nose, he was so traumitised by it, he left the gards and hasnt been seen since, there just two examples how how bad the town is, another gard had to be transfered to another station after one notorius fella chased after hm up the town with a hachet , mad like . brawls are very common, like that incident 4 years ago wen a gang of travellers from limrick came in and started actin hard, they got the heads pucked of them from c.islands travellers and scumbag/chavs , no other town cud beat c.island in a brawl, some of our guys have gone into tralee , beat up a few fellas , and there wud be no reprisils !!! tralee are no saints either , that place cud take castleislands place for roughest and toughestbut i dought it . castlisland has 4 estates st stephans,cois lan mor, st johns and cahereen west,all = TROUBLE, st stephans being the roughest . castlisland has no jobs,no amnities,bad weather, alchos,drugs and scum and certinly in my view no future !
    ya im from shanakill in tralee and yea castleisland is mental man ive heard about cois lan nua and st stephens lik mental.and u cnt argue wit facts it was voted most unlawless town in ireland.be honest they are scum living there you say trallee cud tak its crown no way shanakill is d roughest estate n tralee and ill admit it that they wudnt luk at ye sideways ye act are pure scum dangerous knives evaten yer lurks man espeacily the leader micheal foxy patsy o brien who terrerized my estate for no reason so man yer scum bt yer act proud of it hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't say a huge amount about different places, but in Drogheda when I was about 16 some eejits threw chips at me as I walked past McDonald's and I told them to **** off. I wouldn't do that in Dundalk :P

Didn't the Louth/Meath area have the highest murder rate in the last few years?

ya im from shanakill in tralee and yea castleisland is mental man ive heard about cois lan nua and st stephens lik mental.and u cnt argue wit facts it was voted most unlawless town in ireland.be honest they are scum living there you say trallee cud tak its crown no way shanakill is d roughest estate n tralee and ill admit it that they wudnt luk at ye sideways ye act are pure scum dangerous knives evaten yer lurks man espeacily the leader micheal foxy patsy o brien who terrerized my estate for no reason so man yer scum bt yer act proud of it hahah
    The both of ye sound proud of it! I was in tralee one night in this pub. it was like the tavern or the abbey. It think it was called the abbey. was talkin away to a fe of my mates. my 1st time down there. some tosser came up and tried to head but me and told to go back to limerick where I came from. Huge fight broke out anyway and sure the bouncers took the other side side. I asked for the camera's and the bouncers just said "they don't work anymore". I came out with no bruises just a torn shirt. it was a bunch of travellers and even though I was ****ting myself, them travellers came off worse than us. I don't understand why people would start fightin like that for no reason. them country folk should lay off alcohol cause their already nuts without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanakiller

luk tralee is nutn ou f d ordinary bt u shud go castleisland it is so ruff man its nt funni my cousins are frm st stephens park and man luk im nt open2disscusins castleisland is scum

• Advertisement

So if its scum... I should go to castleisland? shouldn't you be telling people to stay away from a ****e whole like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement