Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Gaming

Options
  • 21-01-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi, what is the minimum upload for playing pc games online? I'm getting satellite broadband...prob wont work well for online gaming but it downloads from the satellite and uploads by the phone line and ive got dialup so upload is about 2-3kbps...rubbish!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

online gaming has no chance with satellite.

even if you could get a 256kbps up on the satellite the delay of both sending and recieving data to the satellite will cause gaming to not work. we're talking of pings >1000ms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

yeah i figured that would be the case....satellite is my only option at the moment ive looked around and cant get any other broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spectreon666, your wasting your time with games on sat, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Cabaal wrote: »
    Spectreon666, your wasting your time with games on sat, :)
    Not to mention money.
    I'm presuming OP plays a less latency dependent game like World of Warcraft or he wouldn't even be considering satellite. Games like WOW do work on satellite but will be one big headache for you.

Would be much better off getting broadband from one of the 3G providers. Even if you were not in a 3G zone you could probably get edge speeds of about 250k from O2 which I would rate higher than most 1meg satellite connections. Remember though 3G broadband isn't for FPS games or anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

yeah i expected fps will def not work, i was thinking world of warcraft or similar games. basically the reason why im getting satellite is that ive tried wireless...no signal in my area, ive tried eircom but im not connected to isdn exchange and trying to get it connected but no luck so i found cheap satellite...mainly im looking at download speed and i wont use it solely for games..its an all round use so thats why I wont be going for 3g or o2 or the likes. im not in the zone and im pretty far from it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

You can try 02 for 30 days and return it to get your money back, and vodafone for 14 days. I'd suggest doing that first to see if either of those are acceptable.

Mobile broadband is barely acceptable for wow (Im using it atm and there are times when it can stall for seconds, or disconnect). I did know people who used use diall up for WoW, but they weren't having a good time of it either.

Advertisement