Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Houghton in the Star

• 21-01-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

IRISH BUSINESS NEEDS TO HELP HOME CLUBS

Ray Houghton has called on Ireland's wealthiest businessmen to keep their money at home and invest in the eircom League at a time when Irish backers are bankrolling Sunderland, Celtic and even Peterborough United.

Houghton yearns for the day when and Irish club competes in the knock-out stages of Europe's premier competition.

He knows that will take serious investment in the domestic game, but he believes there is an onus on entrepeneurs to keep their football investments this side of the Irish Sea.

"Nothing would please me more than to see an Irish team that actually gets into the Champions League." the Euro '88 hero told Star Sunday.

"Irish football and the Irish team needs the eircom League to improve, and to achieve that, we need investment and we need money to be pumped into the domestic game here at home.

"We need investment to bring new players in and to keep the best youngsters here in Ireland, rather than send them over to England where they might not get a chance at first team level.

"Let's build a league that allows Irish football to keep them here, let them play here, improve here and get a good league going. I can't wait for the day when an eircom League side is in the league stage of the European Cup on a regular basis."

Houghton, a man who knows a thing or two about realising Euro dreams, believes the Champions League dream is possible, but only when Irish businessmen cop onto the potential value of their own game.

MONEY

"If I was a big money man here in Ireland, I would get more satisfaction out of putting my money into my own game than pumping my money into a club in England or Scotland where the locals get the benefits of it, not the Irish fans." added Houghton.

"Why not put the money into Ireland? If an Irish team qualifies for the Champions League, then you'll get more enjoyment out of that than anything else.

"Everyone benefits when the Irish international team does well, and it will be the same when an eircom League side makes that breakthrough. If an irish side gets into the Champions League, then the place will kick off. That's what we all want to see."

Discuss!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Discuss!

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What do you think?

I broadly agree with him. I find it very hard to believe there is more money to be made out of Peterboro than Rovers.

However, Houghton is wrong in the sense that Kelleher at Pats and Arkaga at Cork have happened recently, and while the jury is still out on their bona fides, they dont come much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's right in theory but in principle England is where the big money is at right now.

I'd love to see every eL club bankrolled by some big wig but it might even be worse for the game here if only one or two teams have it and have a monopoly on the league like Rosenborg in Norway. More people would lose interest if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

"If I was a big money man here in Ireland, I would get more satisfaction out of putting my money into my own game than pumping my money into a club in England or Scotland where the locals get the benefits of it, not the Irish fans." added Houghton.

I agree with Razor, its refreshing to hear an ex Irish international player speak about the domestic league like he does in that article.

I especially agree with the bolded sentance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I think Ray Houghton is a big idoit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Would love to see a pro league in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's right in theory but in principle England is where the big money is at right now.

For the big teams, yes.

Look how hard it is for the "next 4" in the EPL to break into the "top four".

Now, sure, there is money from Sky and other TV deals, and it is HUGE, but in fairness, Peterborough have about as much chance of getting into the Premier League as I have of riding Halle Berry.

Look at what this Kelleher chap has planned for SPA. Invest a relatively small amount, make them the best club in Ireland, get them to the CL Group stages, and milk the profit.

It's what Ollie wanted with Shels, but he wasn't backed by a multinational consortium, like Kelleher is.

If Irish (business) people could look past the glitz and glamour, there could be a tidy profit waiting for them with minimal investment.

He is giving SPA €3m per year, that is a pittance compared what the English teams are spending to attempt an assault on the CL
    I'd love to see every eL club bankrolled by some big wig but it might even be worse for the game here if only one or two teams have it and have a monopoly on the league like Rosenborg in Norway. More people would lose interest if that happened.
    I think Shels' expoilts kickstarted the interest that Kelleher has in SPA (rumour has it that he approached Ollie first, but Ollie didn't want to lose his grip on the club :eek::eek:) and this Arkaga group has in Cork City. Even Drogheda have a seemingly endless money supply, that has to be coming from somewhere. :confused:

It's going to be a great decade for Irish football, imo. I'm just bitter and twisted that Shels won't be a part of it, and we'll get left behind.

dbnavan wrote: »

and the LoI players get a hug at the end of the week, do they? :rolleyes:

Peterborough?

The majority of Premier Division teams ARE professional.

Jesus, I wish people would introduce themselves to the facts before making statements.

I would love to see a professionally run professional league in Ireland, comprised of teams from both sides of the border.

I would love to see the FAI and the IFA get the finger out and stop pandering to the suits, and start asking the questions that football fans want to hear, start giving answers that football on this island needs.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Now, sure, there is money from Sky and other TV deals, and it is HUGE, but in fairness, Peterborough have about as much chance of getting into the Premier League as I have of riding Halle Berry.

I'm sure you would have said the same about Fulham 15 years ago. Maybe you'll get your hole off her yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

tdv wrote: »
    I think Ray Houghton is a big idoit.

Fantastic contribution right there. Surely an early candidate for post of the year? Take a boow son, take a boow. :p

To look at it from a purely business point of view, surely investing in an Irish Club has to represent better value than a League 1/ League 2 English club. My reasoning is that with a relatively small amount of money (vis a vis an English League 1 club) you could get an Irish club into the Champions League Qualifiers. You'd recoup a lot of your initial spend here. Granted the fanbase wouldn't be as big as an English club but all the same...

The majority of Premier Division teams ARE professional.

Jesus, I wish people would introduce themselves to the facts before making statements.

I would love to see a professionally run professional league in Ireland, comprised of teams from both sides of the border.

I would love to see the FAI and the IFA get the finger out and stop pandering to the suits, and start asking the questions that football fans want to hear, start giving answers that football on this island needs.

Not all. And I mean a league that could finiancially hold on to our talent not see it going to england, who was the last the last millon pound player in the FAI???

cson wrote: »
    Granted the fanbase wouldn't be as big as an English club but all the same...
    The fanbase for an Irish team in the CL is fúcking huge tbh.

Shels had 24,000 in Landsdowne for the Depor match, and could have sold more tickets if the two end terraces had have been allowed to open.

Not all. And I mean a league that could finiancially hold on to our talent not see it going to england, who was the last the last millon pound player in the FAI???

Every LoI player is paid.

There will never be a situation where top players wont go to England, if the French, Dutch and Portugese cant stem their elite leaving..., the difference is we get an appropriate fee for them, which is starting to happen again.

But we digress.

Shels had 24,000 in Landsdowne for the Depor match, and could have sold more tickets if the two end terraces had have been allowed to open.

Half of whom never went to a league game in their lives, I must admit I was at it, and only ever saw shels play twice in a league game before that! Most of the 24,000 where people jumping on the band wagon, same as dublin in the GAA, no problem getting a ticket when its pissing down in carlow on a feburary Sunday, compare that to Croker in the sun in July.

Half of whom never went to a league game in their lives, I must admit I was at it, and only ever saw shels play twice in a league game before that! Most of the 24,000 where people jumping on the band wagon, same as dublin in the GAA, no problem getting a ticket when its pissing down in carlow on a feburary Sunday, compare that to Croker in the sun in July.

But the point is the market is there. If the Gah can get huge crowds to their mudwrestling, a woeful product at the moment, and look at where Leinster Rugby are within 10 years, there is potential for a well run LoI club in a decent facility. If only Rovers never left the RDS..... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm not familiar with Shels tbh Des but I'd imagine the active fanbase is around a third of that? I could be way off the mark here so I hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

The point I was getting at is that it wouldn't in theory be that hard to get an Irish team into the group stages of the Champions League with a bit of investment. Granted that you'd be relying on a favourable draw (That you wouldn't draw the likes of Arsenal, AC Milan who were in this years draw). Its not beyond the bounds of possibility. And you can be sure Lansdowne would sell out for the 3 home games.

But the point is the market is there. If the Gah can get huge crowds to their mudwrestling, a woeful product at the moment, and look at where Leinster Rugby are within 10 years, there is potential for a well run LoI club in a decent facility. If only Rovers never left the RDS..... :mad:
    Agreed but how do they tap into the market. Someone in say Meath or Rosscommon is never gonna give a thought to following shels or pats, more of the country needs a local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When Rovers finally get in to their new stadium, they'll be in a better position than almost any club in the country.

Right in the heart of one of Dublins largest residential areas, where football is easily the most popular sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I'm not familiar with Shels tbh Des but I'd imagine the active fanbase is around a third of that? I could be way off the mark here so I hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

The point I was getting at is that it wouldn't in theory be that hard to get an Irish team into the group stages of the Champions League with a bit of investment. Granted that you'd be relying on a favourable draw (That you wouldn't draw the likes of Arsenal, AC Milan who were in this years draw). Its not beyond the bounds of possibility. And you can be sure Lansdowne would sell out for the 3 home games.

active fan base is smaller again but if Irish teams started qualifying more often they would hold onto more and more of the bandwagon jumpers.

:D:D

I fúcking wish there were 8,000 active Shels fans.

Eight hundred more like.

Eight thousand? Ha I wish.

When Rovers finally get in to their new stadium, they'll be in a better position than almost any club in the country.

Right in the heart of one of Dublins largest residential areas, where football is easily the most popular sport.

and not one business man makes a bid for them after the examinership...

Agreed but how do they tap into the market. Someone in say Meath or Rosscommon is never gonna give a thought to following shels or pats, more of the country needs a local team.
    What about the people of, say another random county, oh yeah, Kilkenny.

They have had Kilkenny City in the eircom league for 26 or more years.

They wouldn't support them.

Hmm...maybe the people of Gowran need their own team?

What makes you think that Real Trim would have any more fans than Kilkenny City had?

Which is what the A league is meant to address. Please do some research.

What about the people of, say another random county, oh yeah, Kilkenny.

They have had Kilkenny City in the eircom league for 26 or more years.

They wouldn't support them.

Hmm...maybe the people of Gowran need their own team?

What makes you think that Real Trim would have any more fans than Kilkenny City had?

Thats not fair Des. Kilkenny did their best over a long time. The failing was to not promote/relegate teams from the LoI/Junior ball.

Gowran and Trim have sides, they should be able to find their level and we would see more rural sides in the LoI, even if it is only for a season or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I love the way Ray, who isnt even bloody Irish, has an opinion on everything and the way instead of finishing his career with a lowly club like Stevenage, chose to come "back" to Ireland to help out the league for a season at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Have to say that i agree with DesF on the Kilkenny City thing. The fans or lack therof are the main reason why they had to bow out. I don't see teams in small country towns like Trim getting the necessary support. What gates would these ambitious Junior clubs hope to get if the were in Div 1.
    I'm a Dundalk fan, and even though we are pretty well supported there is a huge potential fan base that we just can't seen to crack.
    I would also love to see more Irish players returning to the LOI near the end of their careers. Ian Harte to Drogheda???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe follow the rugby example and make one team from each province to compete for european places.

Maybe follow the rugby example and make one team from each province to compete for european places.
    erm...No thanks.

As I have said on numerous occasions, you'd be alienating actual supporters of football in this country.

How could I support "Leinster"?

Also, a little thing like UEFA probably wouldn't allow it. In fact, I'm certain they wouldn't.

but there are 4 European places.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Stekelly wrote: »
    I love the way Ray, who isnt even bloody Irish, has an opinion on everything and the way instead of finishing his career with a lowly club like Stevenage, chose to come "back" to Ireland to help out the league for a season at the end.

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

but there are 4 European places.... :rolleyes:

well pats would have to get the 3rd one by default.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    well pats would have to get the 3rd one by default.

kdjac

Touché.

Unlucky Connaught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I dunno, maybe these business men who have made millions already and seem to be rather good at making money know what they are doing and wont risk a business venture into something that is unprofitable.

Harsh, but ultimately how unlikely is it that all these 'suits' havent even thought about investing in the league or done any research into it. The chances are a few have and realised that there is nothing for them to gain out of it so they are going to take their business abroad where they think they can make money... and ultimately they are the ones who have the money in the first place and therefore are good at making it and therefore know better then us :)

In imagination land it would be great if there was to be money made out of investing in the LoI, but the fact is that with clubs closing and others on the edge it doesnt really give the money men much faith to make that sort of investment. and they aren't going to part with large sums of money just because fans really really want them to. its ****ty and doesnt help Irish football much but thats life, unfair

Jazzy wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe these business men who have made millions already and seem to be rather good at making money know what they are doing and wont risk a business venture into something that is unprofitable.

Harsh, but ultimately how unlikely is it that all these 'suits' havent even thought about investing in the league or done any research into it. The chances are a few have and realised that there is nothing for them to gain out of it so they are going to take their business abroad where they think they can make money... and ultimately they are the ones who have the money in the first place and therefore are good at making it and therefore know better then us :)

In imagination land it would be great if there was to be money made out of investing in the LoI, but the fact is that with clubs closing and others on the edge it doesnt really give the money men much faith to make that sort of investment. and they aren't going to part with large sums of money just because fans really really want them to. its ****ty and doesnt help Irish football much but thats life, unfair

Kelleher is worth 350 million and soon to be 2 billion, he owns Pats.
    Dunno how much Hoey is worth but he owns drogheda.

Hoey would be the 1st to buy an EL club then Kelleher, but i see your point about kabillionaires, the other teams are screwed.

kdjac

Irish American lawyer and businessman, Jack McCarthy, has agreed in principle to take over Eircom League of Ireland First Division club, Limerick 37.

McCarthy was unveiled as the new saviour of senior soccer in Limerick at a press conference in the Patrick Punch Hotel this evening.

“I have reached an agreement in principle with Limerick 37 and, after due diligence and the construction of a debt management programme, I am confident that it will go through,” said McCarthy.

The New Jersey based businessman is now looking for a chief executive to run the club on a day to day basis but will be adopting a hands-on approach from his US base.

“I will be over quite regularly. Our first job is to bring stability to the club and then grow it slowly. We will be concentrating on building relationships with everybody in Limerick both in the football and business community,” said McCarthy.

“I am very excited by what is happening in Irish soccer at the moment and impressed by the way the FAI is trying to strategically develop the League of Ireland.”

The FAI introduced McCarthy to Limerick 37 and Chief Executive John Delaney said the Association is committed to the development of senior soccer on Shannonside.

“We are committed to the development of soccer at all levels in Limerick and will be playing an active role in the Regeneration Plan. We will have coaches working in the community and are working to develop football facilities in the city, including a new stadium that will eventually become a home for Limerick 37.

“Limerick needs a strong senior soccer club and while that won’t happen overnight, I am confident that in Jack McCarthy they have man who will leave no stone unturned to achieve that,” said Delaney.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2784

Kudos to anyone who spots a link between this and the OP ;)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If the Gah can get huge crowds to their mudwrestling, a woeful product at the moment,

Woeful? In what sense? Surely its doing something right if 82,000 pack Croker on a regular basis every single Summer.

Dublin get more people to one game than Shels get in three seasons.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Woeful? In what sense? Surely its doing something right if 82,000 pack Croker on a regular basis every single Summer.

Dublin get more people to one game than Shels get in three seasons.

firstly, 82,000 at five games, and one game that the dubs arent involved in. Celine Dion will fill the Jones Road barn. Mogwai will play Vicar St. Thats not a benchmark.

woeful in the sense its crap. not even the most ardent Gah head will tell me that Gah football is as exciting and the style sparkling at the moment as it was in the 70's and 80's.

its 30 creatine filled brutes happy slapping each other. a far cry Heffo's army.

firstly, 82,000 at five games, and one game that the dubs arent involved in. Celine Dion will fill the Jones Road barn. Mogwai will play Vicar St. Thats not a benchmark.

82,000 is a decent enough benchmark if you ask me. By regular I meant every summer, and I'm sure the total statistics for attendance in this years championship would put this argument to bed. I know the figure five years ago was pushing two million. If Shels got 82,000 in a season it'd be a miracle improvement. The Mogwai analogy makes no sense.
    woeful in the sense its crap.

This years hurling championship was one of the best this decade, I don't follow the football religiously but I know that there is no way this years championship was crap. Just watched the Top 15 goals of the year on TG4, the standard certainly hasn't dropped.
    not even the most ardent Gah head will tell me that Gah football is as exciting and the style sparkling at the moment as it was in the 70's and 80's.

Maybe not, but then again the same can certainly be said of the Eircom League/LOI.
    its 30 creatine filled brutes happy slapping each other. a far cry Heffo's army.

You can't cry foul when people diss the Eircom League if you purport an attitude like this towards our national sport.

82,000 is a decent enough benchmark if you ask me. By regular I meant every summer, and I'm sure the total statistics for attendance in this years championship would put this argument to bed. If Shels got that in a season it'd be a miracle improvement.

Dont get me wrong, some of the Gah crowds are astonishing and a credit to them. But a crap Dublin side gets the same punters through the door as a quality one.

This years hurling championship was one of the best this decade, I don't follow the football religiously but I know that there is no way this years championship was crap. Just watched the Top 15 goals of the year on TG4, the standard certainly hasn't dropped.

Every Gaafia head I know is talking about the over physical nature of the Gah football and that there are a dwindling amount of competitive hurling sides.
    Maybe not, but then again the same can certainly be said of the Eircom League/LOI.

The standards of the LoI is improving, crowds are on the up. Can the same be said for the evil GAA?

You can't cry foul when people diss the Eircom League if you purport an attitude like this towards our national sport.

I thought hurling was the national sport? Or is it handball? Or is it whatever the GAA are trying to sell at the time?

How do we decide this one? The one with most players? Most fans? Most television viewers? That would make the national sport football.

Dont get me wrong, some of the Gah crowds are astonishing and a credit to them. But a crap Dublin side gets the same punters through the door as a quality one.

Thick and thin perhaps? Something Shels struggle with.
    Every Gaafia head I know is talking about the over physical nature of the Gah football and that there are a dwindling amount of competitive hurling sides.

Did you think up Gaafia yourself? Limerick and Waterford are the two new challengers to the Kilkenny-Cork axis, surely that isn't a dwindling number of competitive sides? Oh, and Dublin are on the way up too.
    The standards of the LoI is improving, crowds are on the up.

Debatable on both points.
    I thought hurling was the national sport? Or is it handball? Or is it whatever the GAA are trying to sell at the time?

How do we decide this one? The one with most players? Most fans? Most television viewers? That would make the national sport football.

The four Gaelic games of football, hurling, camogie and handball are the four indiginous sports and are therefore known as being our national sports.

Thick and thin perhaps? Something Shels struggle with.

As I amn't a shels fan, I cant comment, but I would suggest they were never the best supported club around.

And how thick are the Dubs crowds this time of year out of interest?

Did you think up Gaafia yourself? Limerick and Waterford are the two new challengers to the Kilkenny-Cork axis, surely that isn't a dwindling number of competitive sides? Oh, and Dublin are on the way up too.

4 teams? Seriously?

Debatable on both points.

Crowds improving is simply factual. Standards improving is subjective, but I think the fact that players are going directly from the LoI to the Premiership and getting capped almost immediatly coupled with improved European results shows its heading in the right direction.
    The four Gaelic games of football, hurling, camogie and handball are the four indiginous sports and are therefore known as being our national sports.

We have gone from national sport to national sports? :rolleyes:

Handball isnt indigenous to Ireland and says who? The national sports act of 1945? Football has as much right to the moniker.

And how thick are the Dubs crowds this time of year out of interest?

Around the same as most counties support, much much smaller.
    4 teams? Seriously?

How many teams challenged for the Eircom League this year? 5 different hurling sides have won the All-Ireland in the past ten years. 5 different clubs have won the League Of Ireland in the past ten years. Get my drift? It's cyclical.
    Crowds improving is simply factual.

Show me the facts so, because even if they were up this season (I moved to Australia for the year) they aren't up much, if at all, in the 8 or 9 seasons prior.
    I think the fact that players are going directly from the LoI to the Premiership and getting capped almost immediatly coupled with improved European results shows its heading in the right direction.

I think if you read that sentence a couple of times you might want to adjust it. I do agree the standard has improved on fifteen years ago, but I still think the improvement is marginal in recent years. The football equivalent of brain drain is killing the league.
    We have gone from national sport to national sports? :rolleyes:

Well if they are all national sports surely they can be referred to as a "national sport" individually?
    Handball isnt indigenous to Ireland

Yes it is. It is a Gaelic sport dating back to the fifteenth century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

How have we gone from the topic of businessmen investing money in the domestic football (soccer) league to dissing Gaelic games?

How have we gone from the topic of businessmen investing money in the domestic football (soccer) league to dissing Gaelic games?

dunno tbh, did you get the link to limericks new owner and razor? :p

kdjac

Seems that way. Apparently our national sport is evil. Or should that be "national sports are evil"?

We've moved on to semantics now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

KdjaCL wrote: »
    dunno tbh, did you get the link to limericks new owner and razor? :p

kdjac

only now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement