Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any parents seen this on their child?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has seen a red raw rash on their baby's face. Have been to 4 doctors they keep saying dry skin but it is red red raw, he looks scalded. Its on both sides of his face. He has never had nappy rash or any other skin problems.

It developed a few weeks ago, started as spots. They seem to have joined to form big raised rash. Cant get a decent photo of it. I find it quite distressing to look at. Hes only 15 weeks. E45 being lashed on all the time, does nothing. He was sick last week and it cleared up completely, came back with a vengance yesterday.

Anyone seen this rash before? Not looking for medical advice i have been to 3 or 4 doctors i want mammy's and daddy's opinions which are usually the best!

Will try get a photo up. Googled it it comes up ezcema?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Will try get a photo up. Googled it it comes up ezcema?

sounds like excema alright...or psorriasis maybe - that starts as spots. Surely a doctor should have been able to diagnose these if it is one of them though as they are fairly common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ludo wrote: »
    sounds like excema alright...or psorriasis maybe - that starts as spots. Surely a doctor should have been able to diagnose these if it is one of them though as they are fairly common.

Thank you. The doctors are not at all concerned, telling me its dry skin and brushing it off. As is always the case its never really flared up when i see the doctor as it is today, but dare i try to get an appointment! It will be gone down a bit by tomorrow.

It just looks sooo sore. That photo is nothing, nothing compared to how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

to be fair it could be anything or nothing at all, and unless the skin breaks and oozes, then the doctors might be right. Have you tried changing detergent to a non bio? making your child wear just cotton? a lot of babies react to detergents and synthetics with rashes, so it could also just be a small allergy. maybe use sudocream instead of E45. what i'm trying to say is just make a few changes to see what helps or aggravates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

our little boy had something like that for a few months, all cleared up now ,. we found Silcocks Base very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mrs Me

Hi

My daughter had a rash on her face when she was a baby. It was horrible. It turned out that she was allergic to milk. It was cleared within a few days off taking her off the dairy. She is now 3 and back on dairy again with no signs of a rash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Does your baby drool alot. Our baby is is 4 months has it on both sides. Have you checked for reflux? Does your baby spit up after feeding. Does your baby cry alot? We also found that moving from a dairy formula did the trick. It has helped to settle her belly and she doesnt spit up as much. Dont worry. All babies go through some form of a skin rash. Just stay on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I would say to you that anyone who tries to give you a diagnosis based on that picture shouldn't be listened to :p
    Hope you get to the bottom of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I wasnt making a diagnosis based on the picture. I was just mentioning that our girl has the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Or seemed to have a simular problem.
    Seems is the the things tbh and I woudl hate for a child to get hurt or become ill because a parent assumed thier child had wht someone elses apprently had.

Trinity1 you are just going to have to start an elimintation process until you find out what it is, if could be the baby wipes, it could be the washing powder, it could be sleeping in drool, it could be the cream, it could be diet, it could be the baby bath, it could be the start of teething, ect ect ect.

You will just have change each factor safely until you find it out.

I went through something simular with my daughter when she was a baby, she had a awful nappy rash and I changed things arround until I figured it was a certain brand of baby wipes which we had on and off again that caused the red, raw rear on her.

What was different last week other then him beeing sick ?

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I would say to you that anyone who tries to give you a diagnosis based on that picture shouldn't be listened to :p
    Hope you get to the bottom of it though.

I know I know its a bad picture, I tried :D

I always thought he was lactose intolerant, my older son was, but i was assured he was not. Hes on Aptimil Extra Hungry.

Thanks for all the replies I'll try to eliminate things.

I do not use baby wipes on his face.
    He doesnt spit up. It is on both sides of his face. He always had dry skin in this particular place on his face yet the rest of his skin is like velvet!

I only bathe him once a week and bought E45 milk bath. I dont use soap on him.
    Hes drooling like a puppy :)
    I think hes been teething since a few weeks.
    He doesnt have reflux.
    I wash his clothes seperately to the rest of the family and i use fairy non-bio. Most if not all his clothes are cotton, I cant stand wool against my skin so i just assume my babies are the same!

When he was sick he had a fever so i stopped his solids which we had just started a week before. He had this rash before we began weaning though so it did not start it, however i have stopped it now today to see what happens, he could have an intolerance to wheat in the cereals?

I just dont know, I have seen pictures of bad nappy rash and i think it looks similar but on his face so i might actually try sudocreme. I am relucatant to use steroid creams on his face just yet (which the doctor suggested) but if it gets worse i will try it. I am taking him to the baby nurse tomorrow and hopefully she can shed some light on it for me.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

My son had something similar to that a few weeks ago, he kept flaring up really red raw rash with what looked like hives on top of it, It looked like a nettle sting.
    Everytime i got to the doctor it had cleared up, so she couldnt offer anyone advice, but it turned out to be an allergy he had, we just elimimenated evrything and it turned out it was milton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Get your GP to make an appointment at a DERMATOLOGIST for you.If its cleared up by the time you get an appointment then just cancel,if not go and they will advise you whats best for your baby s skin.
    Usually takes 2 mths or ljust under to get an appointment private and 2yrs public.

Look into products for sensitive skin & ask your GP about if its caused by the drooling as galwaydude mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What part of the face is it on? The photo looks as if it's the top of the head.

Some thoughts:

If it's on cheeks and/or chin and neck, and the baby has acidic dribble, it could be a teething rash - is the baby teething or ready to teethe? (This can start as early as six weeks and go on intermittently until two years of age.)

Are you using zinc-based creams such as Sudocreme? Some babies have a horrible intolance to this, and it can make a nappy rash or teething rash worse. It's hard to source a non-zinc cream that works, but if you ask a few chemists and ask the doc, and look carefully at ingredient lists, you should find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When he was sick he had a fever so i stopped his solids which we had just started a week before.

Solids at 14 weeks??? :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »

Yep, read up on it here, asked the nurses, asked mother, grandmother, aunts!

Just a spoonful of breakfast in the mornings. It settled him great. He's not even windy anymore and i had previous concerns about his dirty nappies but they are fine now.

luckat wrote: »
    What part of the face is it on? The photo looks as if it's the top of the head.

Some thoughts:

If it's on cheeks and/or chin and neck, and the baby has acidic dribble, it could be a teething rash - is the baby teething or ready to teethe? (This can start as early as six weeks and go on intermittently until two years of age.)

Are you using zinc-based creams such as Sudocreme? Some babies have a horrible intolance to this, and it can make a nappy rash or teething rash worse. It's hard to source a non-zinc cream that works, but if you ask a few chemists and ask the doc, and look carefully at ingredient lists, you should find something.

Its on his cheeks and he sucks his finger and that now is also red so i guess the acidic dribble? He is most definately teething and has been for quite some time now.

Another nurse said again its dry skin. its actually better when i dont put anything on it. Tried silcox base, E45, Vaseline, Sudocreme etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ninja900 wrote: »

every child is different i have 3 and they were compleatly different to one another my middle child was nearly 10lbs and would have passed for a child 3/4 months older when born and was a very hungre baby still is at 4 years of age and he was like 11/12 weeks when i started spoon feeding him as for the 2 girls it was 4 months/5 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I only bathe him once a week and bought E45 milk bath. I dont use soap on him.

Perhaps more frequent baths might help.

My nephew had severe excema and part of the treatment was to bathe him at least twice a day in a warm bath with diluted silcox base or E45. After the bath, he needed to be lathered in silcox base again. After a few months, the rashes cleared up. The treatment was based on managing the condition and avoiding scarring until he grew out of it. Which he did. He really loved the baths and was a very slippery baby for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

Both my kids had that to a more or lesser extent and the GP said it was a new born rash , and they werent newborn either, from around 6 -16 weeks or so.

I was trying E45 aswell but the doc got me to try emulsifying ointment and silcocks base and it eventually went.

It can be a pre-exemic (spelling) condition but my 3 and a half year old has dry skin ( not bad) but never got exema. And the little fella (6 mths) has gorgeous skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Our second had really bad eczema from six months to well after his second birthday and it still flares up from time to time. Silcocks base gave some relief, but after months of trying we could not find out what was causing it. Some kids are just prone to it and we do have a bit of a family history. Add in the dose of Chicken pox and for a while it looked like the wee fella had been used a a board for hundreds of very small darts. So, after all that all I can advise is time and patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Op dont know what the problem it could be just dribbling and sensitiv skin. I have a little fella and he so bad that if he gets anyway too warm skin breaks out! when he was a baby his skin was so bad you would swear he was in a fire! I used to get people coming up and tutting it was so bad! I never found e45, silcocks any good reallyonly thing that ever worked was steroid cream. I did find" emulave" products helped quite a bit and another product i think it was called olulum something with "ulum" at the end it is available over the counter(both are)

hths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

Definitely atopic dermatitis (aka eczema) in my opinion.

Have a look at http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/atopic.html

Don't worry about using steroid creams - the benefits outweigh the insignificant chance of disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

My son suffers from eczema and he gets a bath once a week if he gets more it really effects his skin. You sound like you are doing a great job keep it up. Mums intuition is best all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

davidf1412 please the the rules in the charter about medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

I think the name is "oilatum" personally it is a godsend

Advertisement