Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish professional inter county league

• 21-01-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I was discussing this with a few mates yesterday, and I think it would really work, since the GAA can pack Croke Park with inter-county games weekend after weekend in the summer, should the FAI consider doing something similiar in soccer, I know at first it would take alot of work, maybe years before we reaped the rewards but there is nothing that will spark interest quicker then intercounty rivalary. It would be great for the economy, for sport, and for the international team.

Who knows 2020 European Champions = Dublin. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dbnavan wrote: »
    I was discussing this with a few mates yesterday, and I think it would really work, since the GAA can pack Croke Park with inter-county games weekend after weekend in the summer, should the FAI consider doing something similiar in soccer, I know at first it would take alot of work, maybe years before we reaped the rewards but there is nothing that will spark interest quicker then intercounty rivalary. It would be great for the economy, for sport, and for the international team.

:rolleyes:

Every time someone has another idea about how to improve the national league, I ask this question.

What happens to Shelbourne, Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Dundalk...etc...ect?

Teams with hundreds of years of history between them.

What supporter of these teams will support these new teams?

You expect me to support this new "Dublin United" club? Get a grip. I'd never stand shoulder to shoulder with someone I hated last season, a Rovers fan, a Bohs fan, a Pat's junkie. No chance, that's what ya got, no chance in hell.

Dublin City tried to tap into this very market. Sky Blue and Navy jersies, the whole lot. They lasted about six years and folded in the middle of the 2005 season.

Kilkenny City dropped out of the league last week.

No, this idea is retarded in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ah go on Des, tell us wat ya really think!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^ What he said. There aren't enough decent counties anyway to have a competition.

Here's a radical thought. How about we try improve the league we already have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

DesF wrote: »

I was taking you seriously till you wrote that, hard to argue with someone who resorts to insults and immaturity to get a point across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I was taking you seriously till you wrote that, hard to argue with someone who resorts to insults and immaturity to get a point across.

It is retarded in the extreme. Start the same thread for England and see if they think any different.

• Advertisement

Meh, if you are insulted, report my post ffs.

Your idea bears no discussion, it's a silly idea. It wouldn't work.

What you are talking about is, essentially, alienating the very people who DO go to games on this island, in the hope that thousands of others who don't are suddenly going to start.

Meh, if you are insulted, report my post ffs.

Your idea bears no discussion, it's a silly idea. It wouldn't work.

What you are talking about is, essentially, alienating the very people who DO go to games on this island, in the hope that thousands of others who don't are suddenly going to start.

Does GAA club football suffer because there is inter county games, or does club rugby suffer because there is ìnter provinical games?, barring a few counties, most counties dont have a team to represent team.

As for the insults etc, it was only I idea i thought would work, I am sure you have some ideas to put out for improving the league, ok some not half as radical as this but I would feel the need to trough random insults at you. Whats wrong with "I am sorry but I disagree because A....B....C " mature discussion, I probably would have agreed with your points, I do see your points and awknowledge that you have a good case.

I am sorry but the word retard really gets my back up.....I have cerebral palsy(which you did not know granted) but to me it is a word that when resorted to shows lack of cop on and intellegence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

the GAA have had lower attendences each year for the past 5 seasons. TV figures are down. They have players on strike over pay in an amatuer organisation. Hurling is on its knees. They cannot enforce their own rule book. Every weekend is a new atrocity on or off the pitch.

Why, oh why would we copy their failing model?

And if you think there is a county rivalty to match Rovers and Bohs, get out of the house more.

Does GAA club football suffer because there is inter county games, or does club rugby suffer because there is ìnter provinical games?,

Jesus wept yes. The AIL club game has fameously collapsed and the GAA bigots are always whining about how the club game there is being ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sometimes posts here in relation to Irish football are enough to make you weep.

• Advertisement

I am sorry but the word retard really gets my back up.....I have cerebral palsy(which you did not know granted) but to me it is a word that when resorted to shows lack of cop on and intellegence!
    OK, well I'm sorry if that insulted you.

OK, well I'm sorry if that insulted you.

Apoligy accepted, was more a fact of not taking your points seriously then an insult. We live and learn and I now awknowledge to the board that as the OP that the idea would not work but was worth getting to opinions of others.

If we all agreed there would be no need for a discussion board

Apoligy accepted,
    OK thanks
    was more a fact of not taking your points seriously then an insult.
    OK, let me explain.

Every time there is a thread about how to improve the eL, someone posts an idea akin to what you did.

It seems like people expect there to be a magic button that will make people support these "new teams", but there isn't. As I have pointed out here, and in the other thread, people just aren't going to games in the regions where there are local teams.

It seems like the people who suggest it are dismissing the already established eL teams, as if the fans who do support them don't matter a shít. I find that highly offensive. I work hard for my team, I put a lot of hours and money into it. I'm not giving them up that easy I'm afraid.
    We live and learn and I now awknowledge to the board that as the OP that the idea would not work but was worth getting to opinions of others.
    Yep, an idea you had is certainly worth getting opinions on, sure.
    If we all agreed there would be no need for a discussion board
    Exactly.

The way I see it, and granted I am not a huge fan of of the EL, I keep an eye on shels, probably more so a few years ago when I was younger single and read every sports page going. Get older and married kids etc, priorities change....

Where i was coming from with this idea, is that the EL does not have a huge fan base, no disrespect to the fans like yourself who go week in and week out, OK it is growing. But with the state of the Irish National team at the moment I wonder is it time we look at things differently.

I think my original point if it could work(or some variation), would generate a hell of a lot more interest and sponsorship into the game in Ireland, which from what I gather is what is needed.

If GAA matches can have crowds off 80,000+ in an amature game and the average EL game is say....(6.800*) must be changes that could happen to generate a better interest

* Highest Attendence of 2006 Derry City - http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/2000/aveire.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Would be unfair on most counties, Dublin having Keane, Duff, Dunne and more, Wicklow having ONLY Paul McShane, Waterford having ONLY John O'Shea etc.

Would be funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Every time someone has another idea about how to improve the national league, I ask this question.

You expect me to support this new "Dublin United" club? Get a grip. I'd never stand shoulder to shoulder with someone I hated last season, a Rovers fan, a Bohs fan, a Pat's junkie. No chance, that's what ya got, no chance in hell.

Dublin City tried to tap into this very market. Sky Blue and Navy jersies, the whole lot. They lasted about six years and folded in the middle of the 2005 season.

Maybe that is the problem. Too many teams. Look at British cities of either Dublins size or slightly smaller- Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle-Sunderland, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield. All only have one or two teams at prem or c`ship level. Even London for its size has (from a quick count in my head) only 4 in the prem and then Palace, QPR, Charlton and maybe another two in the c`ship to league 3 section. Compared to Dublin, where you have what, five? Maybe the talent, support and therefore the money is too fragmented.

shane86 wrote: »
    Maybe that is the problem. Too many teams. Look at British cities of either Dublins size or slightly smaller- Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle-Sunderland, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield. All only have one or two teams at prem or c`ship level. Even London for its size has (from a quick count in my head) only 4 in the prem and then Palace, QPR, Charlton and maybe another two in the c`ship to league 3 section. Compared to Dublin, where you have what, five? Maybe the talent, support and therefore the money is too fragmented.

How many does London have? 14?

Glasgow and sattelite towns? 8?

Francihse football is not the answer. Ole Ole's getting off their arses and catching a couple of live games is.

If GAA matches can have crowds off 80,000+ in an amature game and the average EL game is say....(6.800*) must be changes that could happen to generate a better interest

* Highest Attendence of 2006 Derry City - http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/2000/aveire.htm

The thing is, Irish people seem to need an "occasion", a "day out", they seem to need to be able to answer the question "were you at the match last night" with a "yes".

That's why there were 24,000 at Shels -v- Depor. Everyone was talking about it, it was the "in" thing to be seen at that week.

Just like sisty thousand "Dubs" go to Croker three or four times every summer. You'd hardly see sixty fellas in Parnell Park for a league game. You'd hardly see ten thousand looking for tickets if Dublin had a replay in the country.

That's why the national team is so "well supported". You see, the majority of these people who go to these Days Out couldn't actually give a shiney shíte about the team, the result or anything like it, once they can go to work the next day and tell their mates about being at the match.

If Joe Duffy tells them the manager is crap, they'll tell their mates the manager is crap. If The Evening Herald tells them the manager is the messiah, they'll tell their mates the manager is Jesus.

shane86 wrote: »
    Too many teams, not enough supporters argument
    Ah, this old chestnut.

Let me tell you this.

Back in the heyday of the LoI, when you couldn't get into Tolka Park, Dalyer or Milltown to see a game there were the same amount of teams in Dublin.

Rovers, Bohs, Drums, Pat's and Shels.

Dublin had a smaller population back then.

So that argument holds no water.

Well done for trying though.

Des, for the craic, go over to the Gaaliban forum and tell them they would be better off adopting a football approach. See how long you last!! :D

For some reason they banned me, so I cant do it. Inbred bigots.

• Advertisement

Gaaliban
    Hahaha :D
    For some reason they banned me, so I cant do it.

I can't fathom why they'd ban you from there.

Inbred bigots.
    Oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You fools, clearly this is a fantastic idea. We should also do away with my beloved Aston Villa and amalgamate with BCFC, West Brom, Wolves, Derby & Walsall. Call it Birmingham United, I'm sure the combined number of supporters would fill a 100k stadium. Then after we do the same with London United and throughout the British Isles, we could have one overall league with 8 teams and the possibility of relegation as we know it would be a thing of the past.

Only wee stumbling block is that I'd rather eat my own young than cheer for BCFC, so I can only speculate how supporters of LoI clubs would feel about the whole thing. Shels, Bohs, sher it's all the one, right?

Genius!

Savman wrote: »
    You fools, clearly this is a fantastic idea. We should also do away with my beloved Aston Villa and amalgamate with BCFC, West Brom, Wolves, Derby & Walsall. Call it Birmingham United, I'm sure the combined number of supporters would fill a 100k stadium. Then after we do the same with London United and throughout the British Isles, we could have one overall league with 8 teams and the possibility of relegation as we know it would be a thing of the past.

Only wee stumbling block is that I'd rather eat my own young than cheer for BCFC, so I can only speculate how supporters of LoI clubs would feel about the whole thing. Shels, Bohs, sher it's all the one, right?

Genius!

Nice post from someone who understands football, and what it is to be a football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Every time there is a thread about how to improve the eL, someone posts an idea akin to what you did.

And 'Oh no you didn't' has to have a pathetic little dig at the GAA for some reason:mad:. I'm not going to type what I want to for fear of bans, but you are out of order, if ever someone's avatar suits a poster his is it. Sad little man.

patmac wrote: »
    And 'Oh no you didn't' has to have a pathetic little dig at the GAA for some reason:mad:. I'm not going to type what I want to for fear of bans, but you are out of order, if ever someone's avatar suits a poster his is it. Sad little man.
    Go and read the Rovers Stadium thread mate.

He has every right to have a go at the gah, imo, they are trying to destroy his club. They publically stated this as their intention.

The gah are a reprehensible organisation in my eyes for trying to do this to an other sporting club. The only people I hate more than the gah, are the fai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

why cant there be intercounty AND club football like there is in the gaa?

Helix wrote: »

What?

Because football has never followed the gah model, that's why.

Here's a question.

Would YOU support a "Dublin Soccer Club"?

If you answer yes to this, why the fúck do you not attent eL games?

Helix wrote: »

football is a global game, so where the Gah have intercounty we have international.

astonished that this has to be spelt out

patmac wrote: »

go away and interfere with your livestock.

for some reason? if you dont know why Shamrock Rovers and other LoI fans dislike you and your insular, grubby, bigoted organisation, you have been living in a hedge. Oh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

No magical intercounty or otherwise fixes are ever going to solve this problem........jesus its like someone asking me to support the Stanley Park Rovers, not going to happen!

Its lazyness and apathy that the EL needs to overcome. I might not be a big EL fan, but havin orig come from the north, and even though we were sh1t I still liked to get down the the Newry Town games back in the day. Crowds were small, but the craic was great, the post game beers always turned into a late one and mates were made. Its the very same here.

Issue is people are too used to the pre-packaged "product" that is sky sports and the EPL. Standing watchin Pats/Shels etc isn't up to the standard expected by many armchair fans. Sayin that though, there is a definite market out there for people like me. With a keen interest in the game, who like watching a live game pretty much whoever is playing. I'd say i'd be in quite a sizeable group there, and if they could be tapped into then the EL clubs wold benefit greatly.

How they do that is another matter.......

1. League of Ireland is not hugely followed, compared to say the GAA

2. The National Team is shi*e

3. With the influx of of foreign players in England, it is becoming harder for clubs to introduce English players never mind Irish ones

The people that dont want to change are the same people that winge that we cant compete.

Why are so many die hard fans content with getting past one or two qualifying rounds of the CL. Bohs or Shels are never going to be a force in the group stages unless we impliment change.

Kids at 15 or 16 are not getting to join big english clubs any more, because these clubs are looking futher afield. The top four in England are bought, who was the last Irish Player to come through the ranks and Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal.

To all those people who dont want change or to follow a successful model such as GAA or Rugby, there is no point in complaining when Ireland are struggling to keep up on the international stage.

FACT: The current system is not working, we do need to look at ways of change, and if it takes something radical then why not?

I think most of us with even a general knowledge of the EL league know and want changes, but that doesn't mean that what you suggest would work. In fact it'd be pretty sure that it wouldn't because you'd alienate the fans like Desf who are the bread and butter of the EL clubs. Like I say the EL needs to look to increasing the core fanbase, the people who'll go to more than 2 games a season.

1. League of Ireland is not hugely followed, compared to say the GAA

2. The National Team is shi*e

3. With the influx of of foreign players in England, it is becoming harder for clubs to introduce English players never mind Irish ones

The people that dont want to change are the same people that winge that we cant compete.

Why are so many die hard fans content with getting past one or two qualifying rounds of the CL. Bohs or Shels are never going to be a force in the group stages unless we impliment change.

Kids at 15 or 16 are not getting to join big english clubs any more, because these clubs are looking futher afield. The top four in England are bought, who was the last Irish Player to come through the ranks and Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal.

To all those people who dont want change or to follow a successful model such as GAA or Rugby, there is no point in complaining when Ireland are struggling to keep up on the international stage.

FACT: The current system is not working, we do need to look at ways of change, and if it takes something radical then why not?

But the GAA system is not working either. Rugby destroyed their club scene.

The problems in the middle of English game have been a boon to the LoI. Players like Crowe, Gamble, Healy, Farrelly, Gavin, Shelly, Moore etc all came home as the LOI offered more stability and better money than the middle divisions.

We now are seeing Irish produced talent like Doyle, Long, Murphy, O'Donovan making the leap directly from the LoI to the English Premier League and the likes of Noel Hunt and Wes Hoolihan sniffing just under. More kids are staying than ever before.

We are not far from the fabeled Scandinavian model where we sell them at 19 and buy them back for a fraction at 32.

The system aint as broke as you think. Its just going to take a while for the fruits be seen.

nurse_baz wrote: »
    I think most of us with even a general knowledge of the EL league know and want changes, but that doesn't mean that what you suggest would work. In fact it'd be pretty sure that it wouldn't because you'd alienate the fans like Desf who are the bread and butter of the EL clubs. Like I say the EL needs to look to increasing the core fanbase, the people who'll go to more than 2 games a season.

Again, this is happening. Under 12's go free to Rovers games amongst others. Schools are being targetted with training sessions, fun packs and tshirts and free passes for the Da and its working.

By and large targetting adults is a waste of time. A couple of games at most a season is what you will get.

The FAI are busily targetting kids with an eye on the mediam term and while I appreciate they are the future of Rovers, they are bloody loud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It won't work, it will never work and the "real" fans of the LoI won't let it happen. Simple as that. If people can't be bother getting up off their arse on a Friday or Saturday evening and pop along to their local LoI club, pay €20(at max) into the ground, a pint in the bar and a nice burger and chips and enjoy a live match, with atmosphere you don't get sitting on your couch, then why do you think your idea will work so well?

The real FACT is the current system isn't working but has worked, the reasons why it doesn't work anymore is due to TV and money. As Des mentioned back in the day you couldn't get into football stadiums in Ireland, this was because there wasn't a live game on TV, this was because fans couldn't afford to fork out a couple of hundred to go and see foreign clubs playing.

• Advertisement

I think something else that hasnt been mentioned here and needs to is a inter-county or at least a league made up of more teams from more counties would highlight more talent, take for instance the town of Navan, or even Meath. One of the fastest growing towns in the country where is there local talent going to be recognised. Take some of the GAA players from any county, do you think 'possibly' had there been an oppertunity to compete in intercounty soccer, and follow on to playing internationally that they might have choosen soccer?

Maybe the answer is to enlarge the league and to bring in more teams from the larger county towns such as Navan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I think something else that hasnt been mentioned here and needs to is a inter-county or at least a league made up of more teams from more counties would highlight more talent, take for instance the town of Navan, or even Meath. One of the fastest growing towns in the country where is there local talent going to be recognised. Take some of the GAA players from any county, do you think 'possibly' had there been an oppertunity to compete in intercounty soccer, and follow on to playing internationally that they might have choosen soccer?

Maybe the answer is to enlarge the league and to bring in more teams from the larger county towns such as Navan.

Thats what the new A League is supposed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Would be unfair on most counties, Dublin having Keane, Duff, Dunne and more, Wicklow having ONLY Paul McShane, Waterford having ONLY John O'Shea etc.

Would be funny though.

doubt john o shea would get a game for waterford tbh

isn't this happening now anyways bit by bit......Sporting Fingal ftw

It won't work, it will never work and the "real" fans of the LoI won't let it happen. Simple as that. If people can't be bother getting up off their arse on a Friday or Saturday evening and pop along to their local LoI club, pay €20(at max) into the ground, a pint in the bar and a nice burger and chips and enjoy a live match, with atmosphere you don't get sitting on your couch, then why do you think your idea will work so well?

The real FACT is the current system isn't working but has worked, the reasons why it doesn't work anymore is due to TV and money. As Des mentioned back in the day you couldn't get into football stadiums in Ireland, this was because there wasn't a live game on TV, this was because fans couldn't afford to fork out a couple of hundred to go and see foreign clubs playing.

The important word there is local I support shels, and I live in Navan, if you are going to restrict fans to local's its no wonder the crowds are so small. Define Local, walking distance? Most of these teams fans have no Local alligence, no more then I have an alligence to liverpool, I have never even been in the city. The whole point of the suggestion is to generate local interest.

• Advertisement

The important word there is local I support shels, and I live in Navan, if you are going to restrict fans to local's its no wonder the crowds are so small. Define Local, walking distance? Most of these teams fans have no Local alligence, no more then I have an alligence to liverpool, I have never even been in the city. The whole point of the suggestion is to generate local interest.

For the third time, thats what the A league will introduce.

You local team is Drogheda. They are even moving to meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha telling someone which Irish team to support is ridiculous. If he makes the trips to the games regular who gives a ****e? I live miles away from Tolka and I didn't miss a single home game last season and made most away games too.

DSB wrote: »
    Haha telling someone which Irish team to support is ridiculous. If he makes the trips to the games regular who gives a ****e? I live miles away from Tolka and I didn't miss a single home game last season and made most away games too.

Agreed, but I was more telling him who his local side is as the poor guy is lost. GAA forum is over there.

You local team is Drogheda. They are even moving to meath.
    Do I have to change allegience?

I live right on the DCC Fingal CC border.

:eek::eek:

Do I have to change allegience?

I live right on the DCC Fingal CC border.

:eek::eek:

you might have to....

Hopefully Sporting Fingal mop up any strays the gypos think they might get out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I've just got so used to posting the word "local" on this forum it's a habit. I mean local in the terms of an Irish club.

And define walking distance? It takes me up to an hour on a Friday evening (Friday afternoon if we're playing away) to get to Tolka, I could walk it but prefer to get the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Longford are my local club and I drive 40 miles each way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Ah, this old chestnut.

Let me tell you this.

Back in the heyday of the LoI, when you couldn't get into Tolka Park, Dalyer or Milltown to see a game there were the same amount of teams in Dublin.

Rovers, Bohs, Drums, Pat's and Shels.

Dublin had a smaller population back then.

So that argument holds no water.

Well done for trying though.

I've no problem with the league continuing in its current guise, however, at the moment the league is pissing away cash paying players too much money who aren't worth it. Aside from a couple of successes e.g Doyle, the clubs reap little reward for chasing the dream and developing players back from England. If the league continues money should be plowed into youth systems to develop young players, not 29 year olds with little prospects of competing for Ireland or getting their club to Europe.

To discount the OP, is ludicrous imo. A 32 county league is obviously a pipe dream with little chance of financial viability. However, people are deluded if they think that Irish clubs can compete in Europe currently. DesF back in the day there was little football on our screens and to go to a game abroad was a non runner. This is completely changed now. The Shels game against DLC in the Champions League shows the support Irish clubs can get if there is a good product there. The fact is there are too many clubs in Dublin. In Manchester there are two clubs operating at a good standard. They have a larger population in Dublin yet we have UCD, SPA, Shels, Bohs, SR and the proposed Finglas team chasing a very small population. Do people believe in the current climate this can operate on the international stage well? There are no competitions which could gain widespread public intrest apart from maybe the Setanta Cup which isn't even on terrestrial television.

Clubs can continue with their small fanbase and rivalries if they wish, but I think its an utter waste of cash in the long term for any investor looking for a profit or even prestige.

themont85 wrote: »

Clubs can continue with their small fanbase and rivalries if they wish, but I think its an utter waste of cash in the long term for any investor looking for a profit or even prestige.

20 years ago English football was banned from Europe, facing the prospect of their international side being banned too, with dwindling crowds in decrepit stadia.

At the same time non-old firm Scottish sides were in European finals.

Things change.

The LoI is on an upswing. We will see how far that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I understand you Des, but take Galway United for example.

Our nearest derby day rivals are Athlone and Sligo. They're feckin miles away.

But now if we were to play Mayo in a Connacht Final, now that'd be exciting. There's little local rivalry outside of Dublin and rivalry is what brings numbers to games, as well as good football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement