Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish professional inter county league

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

20 years ago English football was banned from Europe, facing the prospect of their international side being banned too, with dwindling crowds in decrepit stadia.

At the same time non-old firm Scottish sides were in European finals.

Things change.

The LoI is on an upswing. We will see how far that goes.

Scotland doesn't have the GAA taking many potential players away from soccer. There is not enough finance for this, back then the money pumped in was nowhere near the level now with the increased TV. Despite the fact that investors can make a little profit with a lot of luck and investment this will only be short term and bad for clubs in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote: »
    Ah, this old chestnut.

Let me tell you this.

Back in the heyday of the LoI, when you couldn't get into Tolka Park, Dalyer or Milltown to see a game there were the same amount of teams in Dublin.

Rovers, Bohs, Drums, Pat's and Shels.

Dublin had a smaller population back then.

So that argument holds no water.

Well done for trying though.

Back then there was less football on tv.

Back then, although there were a certain amount of non English players on English teams, generally players were from the surrounding area. I remember reading some stat along the lines of every player in 1967 Celtics win was from within 20 miles of Celtic Park. So there was less poaching. Yes, the George Bests got taken but Id assume there was a greater amt of talent left here.
    Glasgow and sattelite towns? 8?

A related point. Plenty of Scots from areas that Glasgow has stretched into have allegiance to one old frim team and the one in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

themont85 wrote: »
    Scotland doesn't have the GAA taking many potential players away from soccer. There is not enough finance for this, back then the money pumped in was nowhere near the level now with the increased TV. Despite the fact that investors can make a little profit with a lot of luck and investment this will only be short term and bad for clubs in the long term.

I dont know when the last time a highly regarded footballer was lost to the darkness of the GAA. If anything its all one way traffic from the Gaaliban to civilised games. Its within my lifetime that Rovers and Shels got more to games than the Dubs did. As we see over the Tallaght stadium, its them running scared, in Dublin at least.

But my substantive point stands. I'm not suggesting that the LoI will ever have the money the EPL has, but Sweden is a realistic model to follow.

I meant scotland doesn't have 4 team sports chasing players and supporters.

themont85 wrote: »
    I meant scotland doesn't have 4 team sports chasing players and supporters.

nor does Ireland, especially on the playing side.

the simple fact is football and rugby do not lose players to the Gah. its all the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kraggy wrote: »

Our nearest derby day rivals are Athlone and Sligo. They're feckin miles away.

What's the furthest derby for Galway Utd; Cobh, Derry or Drogheda? Then compare that to the furthest away trip in England or South America, there's none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's the furthest derby for Galway Utd; Cobh, Derry or Drogheda? Then compare that to the furthest away trip in England or South America, there's none.

Furthest derby Cobh, Drogheda?!

Presume you mean match?

My point is that instead of Athlone or Sligo being closest rivals, an inter-county league would give us Mayo to the north, Clare right below us and rosommon and tipp too.

Mightn't work but the OP was only throwing something out there for discussion so I don't see why people are having a go at him.

My point is that instead of Athlone or Sligo being closest rivals, an inter-county league would give us Mayo to the north, Clare right below us and rosommon and tipp too.

And what makes you think these teams could stay in the league for more than a season. Limerick 37 were set up after the fold of Limerick FC last year, started with a clean sheet and yet they've run into money problems nearly folding after a year, and they would have if this didn't happen http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/news-centre/news/news-147/index.xml

Like Limerick is one of the biggest cities in Ireland and they can't keep a football team going for one season, why do you think a team in the counties you mentioned would?

No To The Gah-isation Of The Beautiful Game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Rivalry.

Which is one of the many reasons I'm in favour of an All-Ireland League. There would be a certain north-south tension which would increase gate receipts/interest and thus increase the standard of the game.

Could you imagine Dublin v Kerry or Cork v Kerry or Galway v Mayo? The rivalry would present an automatic increase in gates for existing sides, instil interest in counties with no team at the moment and give the game widespread coverage all round.

I'm not saying it would definitely be a good idea, but one worth discussing, even as a hypothetical conversation like you'd have with your pals down the pub. :)

Rivalry.

There's plenty of rivalry out there,
    Rovers - Bohs
    Dundalk - Drogheda
    Cork - Waterford
    Galway - Sligo
    etc...

Shels - Kildare:D

And the only tension that will between the North and South if the AIL goes ahead would be the lovely people who walk around in their Sell Thick shouting IRA, remembers Shels -v- Linfield a few seasons back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DesF wrote: »
    What?

Because football has never followed the gah model, that's why.

Here's a question.

Would YOU support a "Dublin Soccer Club"?

If you answer yes to this, why the fúck do you not attent eL games?

i do attend eL games :confused:

and im not from dublin, so why would i support a dublin club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I plan on going back to Eircom League games this season, and quite regulary. Bray would be my local team, but I'm not going near that place. I have a few Bohs jerseys so I think I'll go to their games.

How much are tickets these days? Do they do any student deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i watch EL on the box whenever its on,keep an eye out on the bigger teams and read match reports in the newspaper..having said that ive been waiting about 10 years for rovers to move out to tallaght as i think the closest southside dublin team from me is pats in inchicore,when (if ever) rovers move out to tallaght i think people will find that they will have a huge fan base

nor does Ireland, especially on the playing side.

the simple fact is football and rugby do not lose players to the Gah. its all the other way round.

Sorry but I don't know what your on about. We have hurling, football, rugby and soccer all vying for a share, the scots don't. They have just the latter two as their main sports so logically they will have greater support for a 12 team league and win European Cups 20 years ago. Nowadays, Scottish clubs cannot compete in the European main stage as they did previously. Larger markets draw the big bucks because there are too many teams for small nations. It is laughable to suggest the EL will ever do so in its current guise, despite I might add the tremendous effort to improve the quality in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I think it might work , if we allowed outfield players handle the ball , maybe change it to 15 a side and say give some sort of reward for the ball going over the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

For the third time, thats what the A league will introduce.

You local team is Drogheda. They are even moving to meath.

Well moving is a bit much. Drogheda used to be split half between Meath and Louth until Louth was expanded. Even still, some of Drogheda still rests in Meath.

As for the OP. Ermmm, If you want a league of about 5 teams (thats probably how many counties we havethat could support such teams) then by all means go for it.

The way forward for the LoI is investment and business. If they can pull that off - and clearly there is interest in investment - they might be able to attract fans.

At the moment, the stumbling block is the FAI (and if you fancy the all Ireland leage, the IFA). I hope to god the eL clubs grow a pair and face the FAI over their proposed block/delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

psi wrote: »
    -At the moment, the stumbling block is the FAI
    And it always, ALWAYS, has been.

I plan on going back to Eircom League games this season, and quite regulary. Bray would be my local team, but I'm not going near that place. I have a few Bohs jerseys so I think I'll go to their games.

How much are tickets these days? Do they do any student deals?

Think they have a student rate, no more than €15 a match.

Depends where on the southside you live, I treck over to Tolka every Friday through evening traffic (or afternoon if we're playing away) in town and Dorset St from Dublin 8, most it takes is 45 mins - an hour, depending what time I get the bus at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

go away and interfere with your livestock.

for some reason? if you dont know why Shamrock Rovers and other LoI fans dislike you and your insular, grubby, bigoted organisation, you have been living in a hedge. Oh....

Shame, I thought people had moved on, i thought it was one club who took on Shamrock Rovers and it was something I disagreed with. Anyway it looks like I'm going to have to suffer a lot of personal abuse because I happen to be involved in GAA as well as enjoy soccer. I'm not going to bother to get involved or read any more League of Ireland threads because of this and the fact that they tend to end up the same way with the same old protagonists giving the same old arguments.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Shame, I thought people had moved on, i thought it was one club who took on Shamrock Rovers and it was something I disagreed with.
    It wasn't ONE CLUB.

The move was sanctioned by the Dublin County Board, and the GAA as an entire organisation.

I'm not going to bother to get involved or read any more League of Ireland threads
    Oh then, I guess you won't see this then :rolleyes:

Shame, I thought people had moved on, i thought it was one club who took on Shamrock Rovers and it was something I disagreed with. Anyway it looks like I'm going to have to suffer a lot of personal abuse because I happen to be involved in GAA as well as enjoy soccer. I'm not going to bother to get involved or read any more League of Ireland threads because of this and the fact that they tend to end up the same way with the same old protagonists giving the same old arguments.

What Des said.

Also 'we' havent moved on because TD are still raising legal objections.

Did you raise your disagreement internally within the GAA? Or did you stand back and say nothing while they squandered millions on behalf of the GAA?

Did you raise your disagreement internally within the GAA? Or did you stand back and say nothing while they squandered millions on behalf of the GAA?
    What do you reckon?

What do you reckon any of these self-satisfied gah "members" did?

Sweet fúck all, that's what.

Because like most Irish people, they couldn't give a shiney shíte about Shamrock Rovers, Saint Patrick's Athletic, Cork City, Dundalk FC etc etc.

It simply doesn't matter to them if these clubs cease to exist because, to them, they don't exist anyway.

As long as they weekly fix comes down the cables into their comfortable homes they are happy.

This is the simple fact of it.

Let them be happy, I say. At least they don't have to put up with the FAI on a daily basis, they don't have to put up with badly managed clubs, a badly managed league, a league in which none of the clubs want to work together and would rather continue with petty one-up-manship.

Until the asterisks disappear from the league tables, until all the clubs start to realise that they can't sustain themsleves in the way they continue to operate, until the FAI starts to pay more than lip service to the National League, the people will stay away.

And who can blame them?

I have Shelbourne, and the LoI, in my very being. That's not going to stop, but honestly, berating the people who don't isn't the way to win fans.

The GAA, on the other hand, can go to hell.

I disagree Des, Thomas Davis clearly do care about Rovers, why else go to the time, effort and expense, as well as destroying the clubs reputation?

The issue here is the bundle of myths and hypocricy that is the GAA.

They claim to be a democratic organisation, yet an ordinary non-committee member can take his club to the steps of the Supreme Court but the apparent majority have no voice to object. TD never even gave their members a vote on this.

So GAA members who made no effort to object to their club supporting the move can quite frankly stuff their messages of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The issue here is the bundle of myths and hypocricy that is the GAA.
    No To The Gah-isation Of The Beautiful Game.
    its the duty of every self respecting football fan to remind these animals
    Every Gaafia head I know
    If anything its all one way traffic from the Gaaliban to civilised games.
    woeful in the sense its crap.
    But the GAA system is not working either. Rugby destroyed their club scene.
    go away and interfere with your livestock.
    go over to the Gaaliban forum
    Jesus wept yes. The AIL club game has fameously collapsed and the GAA bigots are always whining about how the club game there is being ignored.
    the GAA have had lower attendences each year for the past 5 seasons. TV figures are down. They have players on strike over pay in an amatuer organisation. Hurling is on its knees. They cannot enforce their own rule book. Every weekend is a new atrocity on or off the pitch.
    If the Gah can get huge crowds to their mudwrestling, a woeful product at the moment

All this over the past day or two. Notwithstanding the Thomas Davis incident, on which I completely agree with you, you seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder. Fair enough, you can express hatred towards the GAA for "trying to destroy your club", which is what many view it as, but attacking every single aspect of the organisation and sport as being "mudwrestling", an "atrocity" and "crap" is doing your argument no favours. It makes you look petty, to be quite honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OhNoYouDidn't's axe has been addressed. End of discussion on that please.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

[chiefwiggam voice]

thats some nice quoting joe

[/chiefwiggam voice]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    All this over the past day or two. Notwithstanding the Thomas Davis incident, on which I completely agree with you, you seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder. Fair enough, you can express hatred towards the GAA for "trying to destroy your club", which is what many view it as, but attacking every single aspect of the organisation and sport as being "mudwrestling", an "atrocity" and "crap" is doing your argument no favours. It makes you look petty, to be quite honest.

Well said, and it's the kind of attitude that puts people like myself, with an interest in both games, off viewing threads on LoI. It's just incitement really.

As for the OP's idea, it's interesting but unlikely to work because of the distribution of decent players towards only certain areas of the country.

Advertisement