Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Breeze antenna failure

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, came home last wednesday to find my broadband down.. Noticed Internet light was off on the router.. went to check the Alvarion box.. dimly blinking lights..I disconnect it from the plug and disconnect the radio cable, There was a smell of burning silicon from the radio port and a few of the pins on the rj45 were burned black..
    I have engineers coming out on wednesday to take a look but when I told customer service they sounded very surprised, So im presuming this isnt a common occurence..
    Anyway, im just wondering, what could possibly have happened? Power supply burn out? Something short in the radio??
    And isn't it possible the alvarion box could have gone up in flames causing serious damage?
    Just want to hear some thoughts on this..
    Probably won't be able to view this thread again till tomorrow lunchtime due to not having any internet..

Thanks,
    ab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Depends on the installation, if the cable was poorly crimped, or some how the water seeped into the cable, lots of things can cause that. but typically that box usually never dies. And I've never heard of one going up in flames!

it's expensive equipment so it's going to have allot of protection in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

This problem is usually caused by the small hole in the wall, which the cable from the antenna to the modem passes through not been sealed properly, this allows water to leak in, and this water will usually cling to the cable and run along it to the modem. It should not be dangerous just a pain in the ass having no internet, there taking their time about fixing it to, they used to be alot quicker than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ah.. it did turn out to be water..
    And it wasn't that they couldn't come till today, I wasn't able to be here till today, they were able to come the day after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

thats wierd that they were able to come out after the day it happened, took just under 2weeks for them to come out to me just to re line the antenna coz the wind kinda screwed it up and im from cork aswell....me guessing you have your contacts hehe

Advertisement