Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities/Something to do with 3 year old

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

At this time of year I find it very hard to find things to do/places to bring a 3 year old. Any suggestions in Dublin. With the weather being so up and down outdoor activities are out of the question. Been to the cinema already recently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I don't want to state the obvious, but have you tried an afternoon of crafts, finger painting and modelling with play doh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

paulksnn wrote: »
    I don't want to state the obvious, but have you tried an afternoon of crafts, finger painting and modelling with play doh etc.

Yes, I was more looking for a day out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is there any indoor playgrounds there? In Cork there is a place called Monkeymaze it is a large indoor playground that has several levels and slides etc.
    My son loves it we went there this weekend for my daughters 1st B'day and they had a great time.
    I am sure that there must be something similar in Dublin? If not it is a great business opportunity with this weather!
    http://www.monkeymaze.ie/
    One in Carlow as well http://www.thebigbluebarn.ie/barngallery.html

There are similar type of things in the Leisureplex's. She's been to them loads of times. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is the natural history museum still closed ?

Some of the other musems are great as well and will usually have an art cart and sit area for kids to take a break and colour in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What about swimming?
    Or is their any parent and toddler groups in your area?

I know of a few classes run for 3 year olds as well, One is a music class and the other is a fit kids class?
    What side of the city are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Irongirl

Tis an awkward age. Swimming is always a winner though and my I brought my son on the Dublin Bus Tour on the open top bus. He enjoyed that (does that count as 'indoor' though?).

At that age I find it doesn't really matter what you're doing once they are free to toddle around and you are available to chat to them. Could be a supermarket, a toy shop, or the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know my local library is great for kids, between the bean bags, the lego/sticklebricks, colouring in, soft toys and then all the books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've heard good things about the new Childen's Mueum/ Interactive place at Sandyford:
    http://www.imaginosity.ie/

silja wrote: »
    I've heard good things about the new Childen's Mueum/ Interactive place at Sandyford:
    http://www.imaginosity.ie/

That looks brilliant, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

To paraphrase someone "...there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes..." Wrap up, put on some wellies and rain gear and go outside. I find going for a walk in the Wicklow mountains or somewhere similar entertains my daughter much more. There is also the zoo.

I can also recommend Imaginosity, it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The zoo. Even in winter. If it's a dry day you have the whole afternoon wandering. If it's drizzly then you have the indoor areas - reptile house, bird house, etc. The kids love it. I'd recommend taking out membership. It's a great deal. Go 3 times in a year and you've saved the membership cost + you get to walk by the queues in the summer and go straight to the member's entrance.
    Or you could just go for a walk in the Phoenix Park - the deer are usually up near the papal cross.

I've heard great things about imaginosity but you need to book in advance - it fills up fast.

Thaed - the NHM is still closed afaik.

There's plenty of indoor activity centres around. On crap rainy Sundays we bring our two to Playzone in Celbridge. Without knowing where you are I can't specify anywhere particular.

Gymboree is another thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I can't recommend Imaginosity highly enough & it's as much fun for the adults & for the smallies - lol

We regularly just wrap up warm, pack a change of clothes and head to the phoenix park, as others have said it's your time & a run about they want at this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just wrap up and bring a couple of ham sandwiches, bananas, drinks. My two (2 years and 3.5) love to go anywhere as long as there is puddles or twigs to poke at things in the grass or leaves!

We just look for footprints, pine cones, squirrels etc. after a while we just sit down and eat our picnic. At that age the excitement is in just doing stuff so there is no need to go anywhere too remote. We are in Bray so for us an "adventure" can be a trip to the Seafront, some of the various woods, a couple of stops on the DART.

Basically at that age the sprogs find excitement and adventure in activities that we consider mundane, so consider some of the things that may have been to simple to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

The following is a serious comment based on 12 years parenting.

I have always found that the best source of amusement for a 3 year old is ...... wair for it ... another 3 year old. I.e. a friend!

It is wonderful how young friends can amuse each other for hours with just a few basic toys.

Having said that, you may have to be pro-active in finding another 3 year old??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This might be of help to you -

http://www.freedublin.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

have you checked to see what type of workshops are on at The Ark in Temple bar..

Its a really great place which does music and art workshops for 3yrs+
    They also do some great performances in which they involve the children in the audience.. They usually have school booking etc. but thereis no problem with families attending.

http://www.ark.ie/

Advertisement