Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a garden shed leak?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've recently purchased a new garden shed and noticed it was damp in the corners when it had rained. I got the supplier back (very reluctant) and he took the corner strips off and sealed behind them. He said that 'it was only a garden shed" and the fact that it is in an unsheltered position may cause it to leak. I don't accept this and it is still leaking - am I expecting too much for a garden shed to be dry on the inside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sheds of basic quality might be susceptable to heavy rain penetrating sidewalls eg lapped panels. But irrespective of quality, the roof and corners should be sealed ie rainproof.

His response about being in an unsheltered position is nonsense and underlines his peculiar view of supplying products not fit for purpose.

Not knowing the supplier, spec and price but it does seem to be of poor quality and/or installation.

I would suggest offer supplier one further opportunity to resolve problem, otherwise seek resolution in Small Claims Court and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your reply.

It is of wooden construction using t&g boards with felt covered roof. The site is sloping so there are three individual concrete blocks under the front edge( one each corner and one in the middle) and three blocks on top of each other at the back. This left a large gap at the sides so a panel was made to go with the slope from front to back .
    The damp is at the bottom of each corner where two panels meet. On outside the panels appear to be well fixed and the corner strips consist of a piece of timber from top to bottom which appears to be snug fitting.

From what I can see it is coming in where the panels meet at the corners. It appears to be a well made shed and cost €750 but it's still wet inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

It is of wooden construction using t&g boards with felt covered roof. The site is sloping so there are three individual concrete blocks under the front edge( one each corner and one in the middle) and three blocks on top of each other at the back. This left a large gap at the sides so a panel was made to go with the slope from front to back .
    The damp is at the bottom of each corner where two panels meet. On outside the panels appear to be well fixed and the corner strips consist of a piece of timber from top to bottom which appears to be snug fitting.

From what I can see it is coming in where the panels meet at the corners. It appears to be a well made shed and cost €750 but it's still wet inside!

Setting a garden shed on 3 blocks high is irresponsible, unsafe and likely to move/topple during windy conditions, especially if there is little weight bearing down on shed.

Damp patches at ends in corners might be moisture seaping up from blocks/ground. But might also be linked to the underside/battens not being protected with strips of felt/PVC to prevent moisture build up?

It is possible that the shed might be off plumb and rain is penetrating sides/corners. You could seal with clear silicone on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Personally, I'd seal with silicone from the outside to keep the rain off the internal structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

My shed weeps from the ceiling.Its a wooden shed also with a galvanised roof.The interior is then lined with polethene, but it's constantly weeping.I thought that it might be something that was left opened in the shed like pant thinners but cannot find a solution.Anybody any ideas what may be causing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭J.R.

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Did you put plastic on blocks before erecting shed to stop rising damp ? blocks are porous and can soak up moisture.

I would check the board you put along side to cover gap - is this wet & spongy? If so it could be soaking moisture from soil and transferring it to corner of shed.

If so, could you replace this side panel with slates drilled to side of shed, at base. If not, remove panel and put some felt (or plastic) behind it to stop damp transferring.

If this board is in the soil it will rot in no time & transfer rot to base of shed.
    You could try using a length of uPVC soffit cladding (available in brown, white or black) which would not rot & would be maintenance free.

Advertisement