Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know enough people of the opposite sex?

• 21-01-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Long time lurker, never started a thread in AH so heres a first

Just want to see if people think the have enough friends of the same sex and opposite sex ?. For me id say i have more friends of the opposite sex (female), and at times i find it annoying, the amount times im watching tv with them and i have to force myself through Corrie/eastenders is just painful ! , and other times it adds a different edge to a group of friends to have a majority of one sex, from beliefs/opinions/ interests and conversations on same, going out on the beer,

Just an example, if i didnt have alot of female friends i dont think i would watch strictly coming dancing, but i do and they loved it. I gotta say i love latin dances :) . Another example this time a negative. I went on holiday with and one my mates and 4 of my female mates and ive gotta say id be more wary of going on holiday with them again infact any close female friends.

Now i still think it is very important to have friends of the same sex to keep you sane but its interesting to see how many people stick to there own sex for friendship and just pursue the opposite sex for romantic reasons, which is one of the reasons i started thread after a conversation with a few male friends. For me these people miss out, i think ideally, a balance of both and you better group of friends.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think your right about having a balance. it means you have a better balance of conversation and more options. Personally i have more male friends. This can act adversely if you are looking for romance with female friends or there friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

About even id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, prepare for a deluge of "are you in the closet" remarks (not my opinion, but just predicting the predictable!)
    I love hanging out with lads - so much more of a laugh. My sense of humour and interests tend to tally more with those of the guys I know. I do find a lot of girls really do live up to the stereotypes of being obsessed with celebs etc. I have quite a few female friends and I love them to bits but only one of them is into the same music, film etc as I am. Whereas I have much more in common with my male best mate and his mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

For me id say i have more friends of the opposite sex (female), and at times i find it annoying, the amount times im watching tv with them and i have to force myself through Corrie/eastenders is just painful !

you could always just close the closet door if you didnt want to watch it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I used to have more female friends than male, I then switched this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I used to have more female friends than male, I then switched this.
    Or the missus made you. :)

I have more male friends.
    Most of the women I know are either my male friends' girlfriends, skangers (both in one case) or family. I know only one girl who I would call a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, prepare for a deluge of "are you in the closet" remarks (not my opinion, but just predicting the predictable!)

i know but ive gotten one already but im betting on a few more, and just to point out, im not in a closet and never have, "I love the ladies they Rev my engine " :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i know but ive gotten one already but im betting on a few more, and just to point out, im not in a closet and never have, "I love the ladies they Rev my engine " :)
    Me thinks you doth protest too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Im the same as Terry, almost all male friends. Most female friends are mates wives/gfs or work colleagues. Certainly dont have any I would just call for a chat or hang out with to watch soaps or reality tv. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Terry wrote: »
    Or the missus made you. :)
    ¬_¬

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'd have more male friends.

Having said that I'd have about 3-5 female friends I met through college I'd say are really good friends. Whereas I'd have about 10 good mates (guys)

The rest are mates girlfriends, housemates, ex-housemates, friends housemates and sister's friends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you can NEVER know enough people of the opposite sex :D

where i work is fairly balanced now. it used to be top heavy with girls which was fun because women dont remotely think in any way in a manner men would consider sane and it makes for some interesting converstations.

still its nice to have blokes to talk to about tits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

even though i have many more male friends than female friends i prefer to hang out with the female friends as i seem to have a lot more in common with them.

my male friends are the type who wanna go out drinkin almost every night and im just not into it so i find myself hanging out with the females a lot more.... nothing to do with any "hiding in closets" business either

bear in mind im male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My best friends would be female. I can confide and talk to them

However in work situations I tend to get on better with men, less bitchyness and jealousy.

I have a few male friends but I wouldnt really confide in them or talk about my problems to them.

Women are better listeners for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I dont understand the question Op I have no friends :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

A lot of both, i hang out with my female friends when i want to check blokes out, shop, gossip and other things girls do
    I hang out with my male friends when i want to talk about soccer(Man Utd for life!), tennis, War in Iraq, George Bush, Bertie or just need male attention.
    Me thinks me is balanced...

Quality wrote: »
    but I wouldnt really confide in them or talk about my problems to them.

Women are better listeners for that.

Lies! :)

Mmm, most of my mates would be lads but I do have a few girls I'd call friends.

Um... half and half I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'd say 70% male and 30% female. IT is not a course that attracts many women. -_-

Or many attractive men or women. :p

• Advertisement

Or many attractive men or women. :p

Quiet you, our class is bigger than yours!

That's what I said.

DEmeant0r has contacted me to announce that he has been 'properly owned' but is too shy to admit it.

lol :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i can confidently say i have zero female friends, and couldn't be happier tbh.
    girls have cooties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Only male friends here. I blame same sex schools:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I love hanging out with lads - so much more of a laugh. My sense of humour and interests tend to tally more with those of the guys I know. I do find a lot of girls really do live up to the stereotypes of being obsessed with celebs etc. I have quite a few female friends and I love them to bits but only one of them is into the same music, film etc as I am. Whereas I have much more in common with my male best mate and his mates.

If carlsberg did girlfriend's it would be you Dudess....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Girlfriend is my only proper girl-friend :p All my close friends are blokes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Another example this time a negative. I went on holiday with and one my mates and 4 of my female mates and ive gotta say id be more wary of going on holiday with them again infact any close female friends.

This will be me soon. elaborate? :confused::o

• Advertisement

I'm 50/50.

My friends who are girls are mostly tomboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I recently met a girl. She seemed very nice. I thought maybe we could be romantically involved but from what I have found out about her that is SO not an option. She is just interested in friends and is interested in travelling etc. A bad woman to get involved with. She will be a friend but tbh I wanted to hide the sausage. ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Get on better with females so it's always been female friends, males I wouldn't tell anything even remotely personal to and the average conversation was just usually purile slagging or joking about something, no real bonding.
    Besides girls can be nice and give nice warm hugs :o, man-hugs are always one of three things from what I've seen:
    1. drunken
    2. sweaty (celebratory ones in sports)
    3. awkward as there's the homophobia and that rule about how the waists must be kept at least 1 foot apart.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

mostly female friends. used have more male friends but then they got girlfriends and they're paranoid freaks so the friendship ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mostly male friends. Computer Science degree courses are not known for their large female population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dub13 wrote: »
    If carlsberg did girlfriend's it would be you Dudess....;)
    Why thank you, Dub13! :o *goes all giggly and girlie*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why thank you, Dub13! :o *goes all giggly and girlie*

Your Welcome...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Mostly male friends. Computer Science degree courses are not known for their large female population.

nor are Engineering degree courses :( and I thought could even things out by joining a few clubs and socs, but jugglesoc is filled with ... engineers. :confused:

For people who are 'just friends' I wouldn't really have that much preference between guys or girls as long as they're sound.

Advertisement