Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammal Survey

• 21-01-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I would appreciate it if people could report any mammal sightings on www.irishmammals.ie, it would really help me out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Thanks for putting this out. I will certainly send in any animals that I see.

The question that I have is this: As a wildlife tracker, can I submit animal data from only a track? Or, are you only looking for live sightings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Irishmammals

I will accept any form of sighting that is made. This can include a live sighting, tracks, faeces, road kill, burrows, dens, etc. I am also interested in any old sightings that you may have recorded.
    P.S. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

IPNA wrote: »
    Thanks for putting this out. I will certainly send in any animals that I see.

The question that I have is this: As a wildlife tracker, can I submit animal data from only a track? Or, are you only looking for live sightings?

You can specify on the form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Do our sightings get recorded OK? I reported a bank vole sighting just and there is always a "ad" thing that pops up after you press submit, you don't get confirmation that your information has been recorded. I always worry that when I click on the X to delete this ad that my information hasn't been stored? Just me worrying I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

no you didnt,there are no voles in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Kaldorn wrote: »

Actually, bank voles were introduced to Ireland in the 1940's and 1950's. I don't know what the population is now but they are supposed to be fairly common around the Cork/Waterford area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Kaldorn wrote: »

Sorry wrong, try checking this link out http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2907.1984.tb00340.x

It was running around my empty vegetable peeling bucket trying to jump out then it gave up and started washing itself - really cute.

Before you make the comment - it definitely wasn't a baby rat. We had a rat problem last year and I've caught and disposed of enough dead baby rats in from the traps to get a good look at them. This was definitely a vole, flattened face with tiny ears and a much shorter tail. The only vole in Ireland is the bank vole so that is what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

That's a good link! Thanks! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

sorry about that i stand corrected id love to see one,maybe i could get a breeding pair and introduce them to the east they could meet in athlone

Advertisement