Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Lisbon Treaty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Galliard

Wake you up you say? No I do not think so - you seem to be a tad too touchy when invited to back up the central points in your argument. Enjoy the snooze.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Galliard wrote: »
    Wake you up you say? No I do not think so - you seem to be a tad too touchy when invited to back up the central points in your argument. Enjoy the snooze.

You're a persistent twister, anyway, although you may not appreciate that this kind of sophistry sounds better when people can't read back through a thread. My definition of transfer of sovereignty is certainly not central to my argument - and you still haven't bothered to actually produce yours, only to say you implied it in a way you wouldn't accept me doing. Tsk tsk.

Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Galliard

Resorting to namecalling? You are on your own now.

jawlie wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you on this fundamental point. The commission has the power to make decisions, and have a civil service of over 25 000 people working for them to implement their decisions.

Our taoiseach and cabinet have the power to make decisions and have the irish civil service to implement their decisions.

In both cases, those with the power formulate the policy and make the decisions, and the civil services implement those policies and decisions.

So, 25,000 EU civil servants, for a population of 500 million, where the Irish civil service has about 39,000, for a population of 4.3 million people!

What does that give you in terms of EU civil servants to "implement those policies and decisions" in Ireland? About 215 people.

You really are talking rubbish, I'm afraid. EU directives are turned into Irish law by the Dáil, and implemented by the Irish civil service.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Galliard wrote: »
    Resorting to namecalling? You are on your own now.

Delighted - you've contributed nothing but attacks on other posters words thus far, which isn't actually discussion, although it might pass in court, or other discussion boards. DO come back if you want to debate the Treaty, eh? As opposed to my definitions, or your lack of them. Or my touchiness compared to yours, come to that!

ta-ta,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hmm. That's exactly the kind of tradeoff I mean - we traded off CAP support for our farmers against opening our fisheries. Without CAP support the Irish countryside would look very different.

Articles like 308 allow the EU and the governments make other tradeoffs (i.e. have power) without authority from the treaties. I cannot vote for this.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Do you? Why? Businesses in startup mode need money for capital investment. The lower the interest rates, the cheaper it is to buy the use of that capital -> the easier to start a business.

Our recklessness was certainly unparalleled, but it was us who made a heap of sh1te out of a potential mountain of gold, not the EU. Nobody forced us to use those interest rates purely for consumer debt and mortgages, and there's no point pretending anyone did.

Ok you are making too much of this start-up investment argument. Interest rates have a much more powerful affect and influence on other areas. Inflation is the direct result of an overheating economy. Inflation = bad. It's nobody's fault. Blame the banks if you must, but really one can't open a can of worms and be annoyed when the worms don't wriggle in the direction one wants. Interest rates should have been raised to prevent a big problem from getting worse. It's gotten worse and we must suffer the consequences of this.

Scofflaw wrote:
    I have to say I'm tired of arguing this particular one, because you simply don't accept that democratic accountability means anything to MEPs.

MEPs answer to us as much as politicians in the council.
    They're not some sort of new species of politician you know.
    If the council passes something don't expect the MEPs to act as a magic safety net. That is all.

Scofflaw wrote:
    It allows the EU to get on with carrying out the responsibilities they have been tasked to carry out by the national parliaments of Europe. Since they're doing it on our behalf, it's of benefit to you that they have the necessary powers to actually do what they've been told to do.

Hmm, the end justifies the means you say. No potential for abuse there. :rolleyes:
    Article 28 wrote:
    Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities.

Can't say I like this bit either.
    Even if Ireland does get an exemption, do we want our EU going in this direction?
    Improving military capabilities can never be a good thing :(

johnnyq wrote: »
    Articles like 308 allow the EU and the governments make other tradeoffs (i.e. have power) without authority from the treaties. I cannot vote for this.

Well, that's your right. If you really don't like it, you should certainly vote No.
    Ok you are making too much of this start-up investment argument. Interest rates have a much more powerful affect and influence on other areas. Inflation is the direct result of an overheating economy. Inflation = bad. It's nobody's fault. Blame the banks if you must, but really one can't open a can of worms and be annoyed when the worms don't wriggle in the direction one wants. Interest rates should have been raised to prevent a big problem from getting worse. It's gotten worse and we must suffer the consequences of this.

An 'overheating economy'? There's no such thing. Inflation happens when an economy is growing so fast that it's having difficulty pulling in the necessary resources.

We created our asset bubble, when we could have put the money into businesses. Nobody's fault but our own.

I'm not using this argument to get around the question of whether ECB rates are set with an eye on the Irish economy - they're not, of course, and I don't disagree with you there. However, there's simply no requirement that low interest rates must result in asset bubbles like our housing bubble (not that there aren't still plenty of people claiming it wasn't a bubble and everything's still good).
    I have to say I'm tired of arguing this particular one, because you simply don't accept that democratic accountability means anything to MEPs.
    MEPs answer to us as much as politicians in the council.
    They're not some sort of new species of politician you know.
    If the council passes something don't expect the MEPs to act as a magic safety net. That is all.

Well, yes - that's what I said you were saying. You don't see MEPs as accountable, even though they're directly elected - and I can't for the life of me see why.
    It allows the EU to get on with carrying out the responsibilities they have been tasked to carry out by the national parliaments of Europe. Since they're doing it on our behalf, it's of benefit to you that they have the necessary powers to actually do what they've been told to do.
    Hmm, the end justifies the means you say. No potential for abuse there. :rolleyes:

Oh, stop being ridiculous. Did I say I thought the EU was entitled to grant itself anything it liked in pursuit of its aims? No, and you know I didn't.
    Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities.
    Can't say I like this bit either.
    Even if Ireland does get an exemption, do we want our EU going in this direction?
    Improving military capabilities can never be a good thing :(

Hurrah! A (new) substantive point!

Why can't it?

(And by the way, as far as I know, Ireland is not 'exempt' from that clause.)

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Hurrah! A (new) substantive point!

Why can't it?

I'll crack open a new case of champagne ;)

scofflaw wrote:
    An 'overheating economy'? There's no such thing. Inflation happens when an economy is growing so fast that it's having difficulty pulling in the necessary resources.

We created our asset bubble, when we could have put the money into businesses. Nobody's fault but our own.

I'm not using this argument to get around the question of whether ECB rates are set with an eye on the Irish economy - they're not, of course, and I don't disagree with you there. However, there's simply no requirement that low interest rates must result in asset bubbles like our housing bubble (not that there aren't still plenty of people claiming it wasn't a bubble and everything's still good).

You're right - low interest rates don't equal asset bubbles.

However, when an asset bubble is obviously comming down the tracks (it's not like no one saw this coming!) you don't just sit there adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway, we have gone somewhat off point. My original point here is that the EU's and Ireland's interests aren't always the same. This was as a response to the necessity of the nation-state comment. Hopefully we can put this to bed now.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, yes - that's what I said you were saying. You don't see MEPs as accountable, even though they're directly elected - and I can't for the life of me see why.

They are as accountable as members of the Council, which are also directly elected. I wasn't arguing this.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Oh, stop being ridiculous. Did I say I thought the EU was entitled to grant itself anything it liked in pursuit of its aims? No, and you know I didn't.
    Don't go all Austin Powers on me now :D

I gave examples already for why I don't like this article, there is no need to restate them.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Why can't it?

I think that any extra money spent on military spending is better spent elsewhere. Now, unless you think that the arms race was actually a good thing, I don't like the EU commiting to increase spending in this area. Why? Because I don't want the EU to become a military force. We should invest in peace not war.

I'll crack open a new case of champagne ;)

Make mine a cava. I'm not fond of champagne!
    You're right - low interest rates don't equal asset bubbles.

However, when an asset bubble is obviously comming down the tracks (it's not like no one saw this coming!) you don't just sit there adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway, we have gone somewhat off point. My original point here is that the EU's and Ireland's interests aren't always the same. This was as a response to the necessity of the nation-state comment. Hopefully we can put this to bed now.

Yes, I think we're in agreement that the ECB don't set interest rates specifically for Ireland. I don't think I ever claimed that the rest of the EU's interests and Ireland's interests were always the same, either.
    They are as accountable as members of the Council, which are also directly elected. I wasn't arguing this.

Well, slightly more, I would say, since we don't actually elect someone to be a minister.
    Don't go all Austin Powers on me now :D

I gave examples already for why I don't like this article, there is no need to restate them.

Well, "the end justifies the means"....I mean, come on, I wasn't saying anything like that!
    I think that any extra money spent on military spending is better spent elsewhere. Now, unless you think that the arms race was actually a good thing, I don't like the EU commiting to increase spending in this area. Why? Because I don't want the EU to become a military force. We should invest in peace not war.

Well, this is certainly a point worth debating, I think, because there's no denying that the Lisbon Treaty is aimed at improving the military capabilities of the "EU" (or, rather, the member states together), at least in some senses, and I certainly think people who object to that would be better served by voting No.

However, to come to some of the points...first, the EU is not committing to increasing spending, but to improving capability. One of the major ways they aim to accomplish this is through reducing inefficiencies in military spending - through centralised logistics, and reduction in duplication between national forces. They're aiming to reduce the cost of military spending, although of course there's absolutely no guarantee that will result in a reduction in actual military spending!

What it's not doing is expanding the military power of the EU...the EU itself only has a total of 3,000 soldiers readily available to it (two 1,500 strong battlegroups) - which come from national forces. Where all 27 countries agree, then other national forces can be made available to the "EU" - which is to say, they can operate under the EU flag. They remain national forces.

So the EU won't become a military force in any sense - it will still have no soldiers, no navy, no air-force.

So, again, if you feel that increased military efficiency is itself a bad thing, feel free to say why - but the EU is not committing any member state to increasing its military forces, or increasing its own (although, obviously, you're welcome to say why that is not so!).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

attended a debate on the lisbon treaty this evening.local mep marian harkin was present as was independent cllrs. and sinnfein plus the greens all were represented...anyways,the main concerns raised were nucleur power,soldiers and neutrality,slot machines and gambling legislation, aswell as the arrogance of senior EU reps...was very good and many questions were aired with the 'yes' representative coming up a bit short im afraid.i dont blame that on the person,the treaty is pretty much unreadable!i urge people to go to these debates and see for themselves

• Advertisement

Rossibaby wrote: »
    attended a debate on the lisbon treaty this evening.local mep marian harkin was present as was independent cllrs. and sinnfein plus the greens all were represented...anyways,the main concerns raised were nucleur power,soldiers and neutrality,slot machines and gambling legislation, aswell as the arrogance of senior EU reps...was very good and many questions were aired with the 'yes' representative coming up a bit short im afraid.i dont blame that on the person,the treaty is pretty much unreadable!i urge people to go to these debates and see for themselves

I have to wonder a bit about who they're actually putting up as Yes representatives at these debates - a lot of people have said the same thing..."waffled about the EU"..."avoided talking about anything specific"..."didn't seem to have read the Treaty".

Having said that, it is of course much easier to pick out your pet article if you're voting No, and go into it in depth, whereas the poor sod 'defending' the Treaty has to be able to come back on every single one of them or look like they're 'coming up short'.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yes, I think we're in agreement that the ECB don't set interest rates specifically for Ireland. I don't think I ever claimed that the rest of the EU's interests and Ireland's interests were always the same, either.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    I think what's good for German farmers is often good for Irish farmers - and what's good for Irish businesses (EU cutting of red tape, for example) is good for other European businesses, yes.

I simply responded to this comment, specifically related to business. True investment opportunities are good, but rapid inflation is not.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, slightly more, I would say, since we don't actually elect someone to be a minister.

Ok I will accept this :)
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, "the end justifies the means"....I mean, come on, I wasn't saying anything like that!

True you weren't. However, I feel that extending Article 308 can provide a source of too much power. I think it's unnecessary, and I guarantee that it will be used, though perhaps in ways we do not want.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, this is certainly a point worth debating, I think, because there's no denying that the Lisbon Treaty is aimed at improving the military capabilities of the "EU" (or, rather, the member states together), at least in some senses, and I certainly think people who object to that would be better served by voting No.

I totally agree. Do you hold this view Scofflaw?
    Scofflaw wrote:
    However, to come to some of the points...first, the EU is not committing to increasing spending, but to improving capability. One of the major ways they aim to accomplish this is through reducing inefficiencies in military spending - through centralised logistics, and reduction in duplication between national forces. They're aiming to reduce the cost of military spending, although of course there's absolutely no guarantee that will result in a reduction in actual military spending!

Improved capability often is seen as "investment" might I add.
    (Though I accept your efficiency point)
    What it's not doing is expanding the military power of the EU...the EU itself only has a total of 3,000 soldiers readily available to it (two 1,500 strong battlegroups) - which come from national forces. Where all 27 countries agree, then other national forces can be made available to the "EU" - which is to say, they can operate under the EU flag. They remain national forces.

Military "power" - can consist of aspects of quantity but also authority.
    The Union shall mobilise all the instruments at its disposal, including the military resources made available by the Member States, to:
    — prevent the terrorist threat in the territory of the Member States;
    — protect democratic institutions and the civilian population from any terrorist attack;

Not saying there is anything wrong with preventing terrorism, but will a UN mandate be required for mobilising militiary resources?
    All these tasks may contribute to the fight against terrorism, including by supporting third countries in combating terrorism in their territories.

Again what is terrorism here?
    Are we signing up to another Iraq war here waged in the name of terror prevention?
    Kurdish separatists are considered terrorists by Turkey. But what about Kurdish views on the matter? This is to highlight that terrorism can mean different things to different people.

Will this require a UN mandate?

Scofflaw wrote:
    So, again, if you feel that increased military efficiency is itself a bad thing, feel free to say why - but the EU is not committing any member state to increasing its military forces, or increasing its own (although, obviously, you're welcome to say why that is not so!).

It's funny I searched the treaty for the words "militiary efficiency(ies)" and couldn't find them. Plenty of improved "militiary capabilitilities" however.

I am concerned that these integrated defence policies will begin to circumvent the UN and potentially lead to new atrocities of "Iraq" proportions.

Will we consider the rest of the points laid to rest?
    I totally agree. Do you hold this view Scofflaw?

No, I'm OK with the suggested improvements in military capability. I don't oppose anything and everything military - but if people do, I would certainly see that as a reason for them to vote No.
    Improved capability often is seen as "investment" might I add. (Though I accept your efficiency point)

Military "power" - can consist of aspects of quantity but also authority.

I would agree with that, but "military authority" never killed anyone I know of - that's usually done by soldiers ("military quantity").

Again, if you are saying that by virtue of being 'lent' soldiers, the EU acquires military 'authority' (the iron fist in the velvet glove, if you like), then that's true. Do you see that as a bad thing? If so, may I ask why?
    Not saying there is anything wrong with preventing terrorism, but will a UN mandate be required for mobilising militiary resources?

Interesting question. It is generally accepted that a UN mandate is a badge of legitimacy in military actions, but I would think that in the case of anti-terrorism actions in non-EU countries, the EU might feel it didn't require a UN mandate. In the case of EU countries, the solidarity clause provides a legal basis for such intervention.

However, (1) no EU country can intervene in another EU country without the agreement of that (and every) country; (2) the EU cannot intervene in a non-EU country without the agreement of every EU country; and (3) Ireland cannot be involved in any such action anyway unless there is a UN mandate.
    Again what is terrorism here?
    Are we signing up to another Iraq war here waged in the name of terror prevention?
    Kurdish separatists are considered terrorists by Turkey. But what about Kurdish views on the matter? This is to highlight that terrorism can mean different things to different people.

Will this require a UN mandate?

Almost certainly....otherwise France and Spain would be giving the EU the power to intervene in ETA matters, and the UK and Ireland in IRA/UVF matters. There are also other minor separatist and radical movements who commit terrorist attacks in Europe from time to time.

I'm going to quote from an article on Jane's Defence Weekly, entitled "New EU Treaty worries US Intel Services":
    Washington-based policy makers regularly criticise EU-wide bodies for proving at best ineffectual - and at worst downright disruptive - in their efforts in the 'global war on terrorism'. Common criticisms include an inability to determine an appropriate point of contact for US officials in Brussels - a perception that many Europeans are misguidedly seeking a negotiated solution to the 'war on terrorism' and excessive preoccupation on the part of EU lawmakers with protecting the privacy of EU nationals suspected of engaging in terrorist-related activities.

You tell me - does that sound like the EU will be a willing partner/follower/copier of the US "war on terror"?

It's funny I searched the treaty for the words "militiary efficiency(ies)" and couldn't find them. Plenty of improved "militiary capabilitilities" however.

I am concerned that these integrated defence policies will begin to circumvent the UN and potentially lead to new atrocities of "Iraq" proportions.

I'm not. The EU shows no signs of acting in that way, and the idea that you could actually line up all the 27 EU countries in order to commit an aggressive war seems amazingly far-fetched. It's also worth bearing in mind that Ireland effectively has a veto on such an action, and also that such action can be undertaken today (as it was for the Iraq invasion), just not under EU auspices.

What, in particular, bothers you about the EU doing these things?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I have to wonder a bit about who they're actually putting up as Yes representatives at these debates - a lot of people have said the same thing..."waffled about the EU"..."avoided talking about anything specific"..."didn't seem to have read the Treaty".

Having said that, it is of course much easier to pick out your pet article if you're voting No, and go into it in depth, whereas the poor sod 'defending' the Treaty has to be able to come back on every single one of them or look like they're 'coming up short'.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

i know what you mean,marian harkin is local mep,our european rep and is a very good speaker...i was unimpressed that she didnt know about a senior EU rep saying that irleands result was irrelevent..but sheagreed this was complete arrogance if hedid say it...she was tackled on gambling and slot machine legislation whichi didnt even know anything about and she couldnt rele comment too much,although the no side could as the person involved stopped slot machines coming to sligo in the past.
    a main point for meis the 3 stage cycle of 15 years where for a 1/3 of every cycle of 15 years we will have no voice on new laws being implemented at all.not a vote but not even a right to argue about laws coming in!this leaves us as not a strongnation in teh EU but a province of a powerful state that has power beyond national constitution

my main objections to teh treaty are as follows:

it requires nations in the EU to openly support nuclear power
    in a 15 year cycle, for 1/3 of this we will have no say whatsoever in european affairs with regard to new laws that may effect ireland
    power is associated with population and this leaves ireland at a big disadvantage
    we will be required to use mroe tax money on the army because of new regulations and a number of our soldiers must be part of an EU force.while they cant force us into a full scale war,these troops may be forced into countries without our say,thus ruining our neutrality.
    there is also a concern with gambling/slot machine regulations coming in aswell as implications for the primary sector such as turf cutting etc

go to one of the forums travelling the nation and air your concerns if you get the chance,as these are just the 'no' points i have encountered

i know what you mean,marian harkin is local mep,our european rep and is a very good speaker...i was unimpressed that she didn't know about a senior EU rep saying that irleands result was irrelevent..but she agreed this was complete arrogance if hedid say it

Fortunate, then, that he (de Rossa) didn't say any such thing. I take it you know what the reference in question is?
    ...she was tackled on gambling and slot machine legislation which i didnt even know anything about and she couldnt rele comment too much,although the no side could as the person involved stopped slot machines coming to sligo in the past.

Yes, that's the kind of thing that makes it hard on a Yes speaker. The guy speaking about slot machines is an expert on that legislation, whereas the Yes speaker is not. It hasn't really much to do with the Treaty - any single-issue activist can do that sort of thing.
    a main point for me is the 3 stage cycle of 15 years where for a 1/3 of every cycle of 15 years we will have no voice on new laws being implemented at all.not a vote but not even a right to argue about laws coming in!this leaves us as not a strong nation in teh EU but a province of a powerful state that has power beyond national constitution

Actually, not having a commissioner for 1/3 of the time will make very little difference.

First, Commissioners put forward legislation that emerges from the Directorate they are responsible for, as well as other sources like national governments. They have no national brief - McCreevy is in charge of Internal Market and Services for the EU, not "Irish affairs".

Then, Commissioners actually sit in committees, so the McCreevy isn't present at the moment for all the operation of the Commission that might affect Ireland - he is only there when he is required as Commissioner for Internal Market and Services.

Further, because it will happen to every EU country in rotation, Ireland will still be on exactly the same footing as every other EU country - if you look at our relative influence, it stays exactly the same.

Finally, and most importantly, any Commissioner that attempted to put forward legislation that would be disadvantageous to a country that currently didn't have a Commissioner "at the table" is simply inviting a tit-for-tat when his/her country doesn't have a Commissioner.

Given all that, what will actually happen is exactly what happens at the moment - the Commission will proceed by consensus as it does now, and every country will be involved, as now.

The difference Lisbon would make is there would be no chance of "our" Commissioner ending up like the poor Romanian Commissioner - who is currently in charge of 'multilingualism'. There aren't enough serious jobs for all 27 current Commissioners, so currently some of them have to do made-up pseudo-jobs like that one.

Which do you prefer?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

my main objections to teh treaty are as follows:

it requires nations in the EU to openly support nuclear power
    in a 15 year cycle, for 1/3 of this we will have no say whatsoever in european affairs with regard to new laws that may effect ireland
    power is associated with population and this leaves ireland at a big disadvantage
    we will be required to use mroe tax money on the army because of new regulations and a number of our soldiers must be part of an EU force.while they cant force us into a full scale war,these troops may be forced into countries without our say,thus ruining our neutrality.
    there is also a concern with gambling/slot machine regulations coming in aswell as implications for the primary sector such as turf cutting etc

go to one of the forums travelling the nation and air your concerns if you get the chance,as these are just the 'no' points i have encountered

Might be better posted on the actual Lisbon thread? Maybe keep this one just for information rather than debate?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Sorry i don`t have time to read all this thread so this link may be already posted but if not, its a must see. http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=173

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Sorry i don`t have time to read all this thread so this link may be already posted but if not, its a must see. http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=173

It has, but is no less funny for that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

why isit funny?

• Advertisement

why isit funny?

Ah - if you accept it's basic tenet, which is that the EU is not to be trusted, then it probably isn't. If you don't accept that basic tenet of belief, then I'm afraid it's a hilariously overblown piece of hysteria - set to martial music, replete with images of fasces, rhythmic repetition of slogans, etc etc, all of which is supposed to apply to this rather timid intergovernmental bureaucracy, who spend most of their time dealing with various forms of trade regulation.

The Onion used to run a column purporting to be that of an cost accounting clerk, done in gangsta style. Very similar in humour to that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

i see what you mean,overdone really but this would be purely for the success of the vid giving it shock value.still all points in it cant be disregarded,some valid points made

Will we consider the rest of the points laid to rest?

OK then ;)

Scofflaw wrote:
    No, I'm OK with the suggested improvements in military capability. I don't oppose anything and everything military - but if people do, I would certainly see that as a reason for them to vote No.

Are there any other valid reasons for voting no in your opinion?

Scofflaw wrote:
    I would agree with that, but "military authority" never killed anyone I know of - that's usually done by soldiers ("military quantity").

Again, if you are saying that by virtue of being 'lent' soldiers, the EU acquires military 'authority' (the iron fist in the velvet glove, if you like), then that's true. Do you see that as a bad thing? If so, may I ask why?

Will these armies by coordinated by the EU *foreign minister* Commissioner?
    My concerns about still relvolve around military actions without UN sanction and Ireland being implicated.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Interesting question. It is generally accepted that a UN mandate is a badge of legitimacy in military actions, but I would think that in the case of anti-terrorism actions in non-EU countries, the EU might feel it didn't require a UN mandate. In the case of EU countries, the solidarity clause provides a legal basis for such intervention.

Are you happy with that though? The US didn't feel it needed a UN mandate to invade Iraq and look at the devastating consequences.

Is there much need for a UN when countries take it upon themselves to determine if their military actions are justified. I'm sure the Chinese feel justified about their actions in Tibet...
    However, (1) no EU country can intervene in another EU country without the agreement of that (and every) country; (2) the EU cannot intervene in a non-EU country without the agreement of every EU country; and (3) Ireland cannot be involved in any such action anyway unless there is a UN mandate.

True Ireland can't be directly involved without a UN mandate, but can we claim to have a clear conscience when by voting for the treaty we are blessing the other members of the EU to act without one. Will Ireland be tarnished by the EU's brush, so to speak?
    Scofflaw wrote:
    I'm going to quote from an article on Jane's Defence Weekly, entitled "New EU Treaty worries US Intel Services":

You tell me - does that sound like the EU will be a willing partner/follower/copier of the US "war on terror"?

Well the UK and Spain certainly were. "War on terror" will always be in the eyes of the beholder. These aren't exactly assurances that the EU will not engage in such actions.

Scofflaw wrote:
    I'm not. The EU shows no signs of acting in that way,
    ...could this be because it never had the authority to?
    Scofflaw wrote:
    and the idea that you could actually line up all the 27 EU countries in order to commit an aggressive war seems amazingly far-fetched.
    ... George Bush certainly convinced a wide variety of countries to support his War on Terror, that was only 7 years ago.
    ... I don't believe wars ever are described initially as 'aggressive' but rather for the good of man kind... but somehow they usually end up that way. :(
    Scofflaw wrote:
    It's also worth bearing in mind that Ireland effectively has a veto on such an action, and also that such action can be undertaken today (as it was for the Iraq invasion), just not under EU auspices.

Could you please elaborate on 'effectively'
    Scofflaw wrote:
    What, in particular, bothers you about the EU doing these things?

Simple: Ireland will be implicated in any 'mistakes' that occur. Somehow we are supposed to be a neutral country.

Will these armies by coordinated by the EU *foreign minister* Commissioner?
    My concerns about still relvolve around military actions without UN sanction and Ireland being implicated.

Are you happy with that though? The US didn't feel it needed a UN mandate to invade Iraq and look at the devastating consequences.

Is there much need for a UN when countries take it upon themselves to determine if their military actions are justified. I'm sure the Chinese feel justified about their actions in Tibet...

Well, a UN mandate is usually taken as being an acceptable way of certifying that a military action is 'legitimate' and 'above board'. Even the US claimed to be acting under a UN mandate in Iraq, although nobody accepted that view.

The UN cannot stop the US doing what it likes, but that doesn't make it irrelevant.
    True Ireland can't be directly involved without a UN mandate, but can we claim to have a clear conscience when by voting for the treaty we are blessing the other members of the EU to act without one. Will Ireland be tarnished by the EU's brush, so to speak?

Only if we accept EU actions that we don't agree with.
    Well the UK and Spain certainly were. "War on terror" will always be in the eyes of the beholder. These aren't exactly assurances that the EU will not engage in such actions.

A country that wants to perform such an action through the EU has to persuade 26 others...the "EU" doesn't engage in such actions at all.
    ...could this be because it never had the authority to?

It seems to have the authority to act in Chad, doesn't it?
    ... George Bush certainly convinced a wide variety of countries to support his War on Terror, that was only 7 years ago.
    ... I don't believe wars ever are described initially as 'aggressive' but rather for the good of man kind... but somehow they usually end up that way. :(

I didn't say a war "described as aggressive" - I said an aggressive war. However it is described, it will be fairly clear what it is, at least to the national governments of the EU.
    Could you please elaborate on 'effectively'

Any EU action requires the agreement of all 27 member states - that's a veto.
    Simple: Ireland will be implicated in any 'mistakes' that occur. Somehow we are supposed to be a neutral country.

No, we are a "non-aligned" country - which is to say we did not join NATO, or the WW2 Allies, although in both cases it is very clear whose side we were on.
    Are there any other valid reasons for voting no in your opinion?

Euroscepticism - which is to say honestly being against the whole idea of the EU project. And anyone who actually understands the EU, and feels that it should and could go a different direction.

I disagree with both those groups of people, and would certainly argue with their views, but as long as they have those views, they should obviously vote No.

The latter group, by the way, are much rarer than they think they are!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

i see what you mean,overdone really but this would be purely for the success of the vid giving it shock value.still all points in it cant be disregarded,some valid points made

Which points do you feel are the valid ones?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

about the treaty being quite unreadable for everyday people for one...

it has led to apathy in the nation mainly because people don't have a clue what it is all about

about the treaty being quite unreadable for everyday people for one...

it has led to apathy in the nation mainly because people don't have a clue what it is all about

I must admit, I don't see what the special problem is there. Treaties are usually unreadable by everyday people. So, for that matter, are the Acts of The Oireachtas, and most contracts.

In particular, I found Jens-Peter Bonde's assertion that the people who signed it couldn't have read it patently ridiculous. Bertie, to name but one, was Minister for Finance, and wrote legislation...the idea that he would be baffled by Lisbon is absurd.

I have linked to a couple of bits of 'ordinary' legislation already in this thread. I can do it again, if you'd like some everyday legislation to compare with the Treaty?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I must admit, I don't see what the special problem is there. Treaties are usually unreadable by everyday people. So, for that matter, are the Acts of The Oireachtas, and most contracts.

In particular, I found Jens-Peter Bonde's assertion that the people who signed it couldn't have read it patently ridiculous. Bertie, to name but one, was Minister for Finance, and wrote legislation...the idea that he would be baffled by Lisbon is absurd.

I have linked to a couple of bits of 'ordinary' legislation already in this thread. I can do it again, if you'd like some everyday legislation to compare with the Treaty?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

God bless your innocence Scofflaw.

Bertie never wrote (which I see you put in italics to impress the hell out of us) legislation, his civil servants did. He never checked it, the attorney generals office did. He doesn't write his speeches, his civil servants or political advisors do. He does not answer his own letters, his civil servants or constituency workers do. He doesn't answer his own parliamentary questions, his civil servants do.

Don't be to impressed with the powers of intelligence of a politician.

But you're right about one thing, TD's don't bother reading the legislation they vote in. They can't be arsed and they wouldn't understand it if they could be. They just follow the party whip.

And to think that tens of thousands of Iraqi's are dying so they can enjoy this form of government.

dresden8 wrote: »
    God bless your innocence Scofflaw.

Bertie never wrote (which I see you put in italics to impress the hell out of us) legislation, his civil servants did. He never checked it, the attorney generals office did. He doesn't write his speeches, his civil servants or political advisors do. He does not answer his own letters, his civil servants or constituency workers do. He doesn't answer his own parliamentary questions, his civil servants do.

Don't be to impressed with the powers of intelligence of a politician.

But you're right about one thing, TD's don't bother reading the legislation they vote in. They can't be arsed and they wouldn't understand it if they could be. They just follow the party whip.

And to think that tens of thousands of Iraqi's are dying so they can enjoy this form of government.

Hmm. I don't think I'm under any illusion as to the extent to which Ministers physically write legislation. I do think you're rather a lot too sceptical, particularly given the lawyers in the Dáil. In particular, I think it would be very foolish to simply assume that TDs are stupid.

innocently,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Hmm. I don't think I'm under any illusion as to the extent to which Ministers physically write legislation. I do think you're rather a lot too sceptical, particularly given the lawyers in the Dáil. In particular, I think it would be very foolish to simply assume that TDs are stupid.

innocently,
    Scofflaw

Well, there ain't no exam or minimum requirements.

Advertisement