Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Lisbon Treaty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

unless someone can kindly produce polls, where is the evidence or lack of evidence, to show what the citizens of the other countries think of the treaty? how many french and dutch national actually think of the treaty, much of which they refused in their respective constitution referendums? for those agianst it but have no voice, would it encourage them to protest against their governments if the results in ireland conclude a no vote? would public opinion in other countries force their respective ministers to make further negoiations to improve the treaty, and thus stop ireland been used as the scape goat?

As the polls in New hampshire have reminded us, polls get it wrong.

The issue is one of democracy, and that the citizens of no other are allowed to express their democratic wish is disgusting and cynical. No one should be under any illusions that the EU intend to steamroll this through, and we have already seen that they have done in light of the previous "no" votes. Those who are guiding the EU are not interested in what the people want, as they are convinced they know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's simply misleading and factually incorrect to say that the Lisbon Treaty is the same thing as the proposed Constitution, with only minor changes in the wording. There are substantial differences in the structural changes proposed in each.
    You can argue that the intent of Lisbon is broadly similar to that of the proposed Constitution, and I'll agree.

Double speak.

The author of the failed Constitution, Valery Giscard d’Estaing, on the Lisbon Treaty: “All the earlier proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden and disguised in some way.”

Although they have changed the name, the contents are almost exactly the same. This is a deeply dishonest process.

“What happened to democracy?”

‘Aha! It was in the way.’

The Lisbon Treaty in legal content is intended to be a constitutional foundation of a federal super state where we will continue to have less and less protection from drug dealers, thieves, paedophiles, rapists, and murderers - home grown and foreign, and where our population will be further pushed into low income, low security, multinational factory jobs while the expense of day to day living rockets.

And if any of us say any thing (horror) we must be bigots, racists, snobs or some other despotic hate mongerers.

I hate to be so blunt but your opinion is either a combination or a culmination of being stupid, naive or easily led or you are another fantasist politician who thinks we are naive stupid or easily led..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I find so funny about this whole process is that what was in the constitution is pretty much happening now anyway. It was just codification of what was really going on now anyway. The constitution should never have been called a constitution, and that was the only reason it ever had to go to vote. It doesn't do anything particuarly interesting, and most of the stuff it does is already happening in most places.
    The EU elites wanted a broad public mandate, and they didn't get it. Now they are going back to doing what they do best, making the EU more efficient, and this should always be done through treaties. I don't want a referendum on every single treaty Ireland takes part in, especially when it isn't particuarly important!

I think people are silly to vote No based on the fact that this isn't being democratic to other countries. If they have that big a problem with it, vote out their government. Amazingly enough they don't seem to really care, bar the English voters, and they are very annoyed with Labour and Europe and might exact revenge. If they care enough, they can do something about it. Luckily we get the choice, and to make a choice to punish people is just silly.

We should vote based solely on whether or not we want the changes proposed in this treaty.
    Personally, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't, and I don't think we've really had one put forward in this thread yet.

Infact all we've had is this utterly unsubstantiated claim:

The Lisbon Treaty in legal content is intended to be a constitutional foundation of a federal super state where we will continue to have less and less protection from drug dealers, thieves, paedophiles, rapists, and murderers - home grown and foreign, and where our population will be further pushed into low income, low security, multinational factory jobs while the expense of day to day living rockets.

Please explain how anything the treaty does achieves this?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

N8 wrote: »
    Double speak.
    Nope, unless you're incapable of distinguishing shades of grey.
    The author of the failed Constitution, Valery Giscard d’Estaing, on the Lisbon Treaty: “All the earlier proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden and disguised in some way.”

Could you do me a favour and source these quotes (and those cited earlier)?
    Although they have changed the name, the contents are almost exactly the same. This is a deeply dishonest process.
    I've already pointed out that this isn't the case. You neatly failed to quote the part of my post where I did so.
    You can't just say this. You have to back it up with reference to the text of the treaty.
    And if any of us say any thing (horror) we must be bigots, racists, snobs or some other despotic hate mongerers.
    Who said so?
    I hate to be so blunt but your opinion is either a combination or a culmination of being stupid, naive or easily led or you are another fantasist politician who thinks we are naive stupid or easily led..
    And you're hovering on the edge of a ban for personal abuse. If you can't make a point without name-calling (you've even resorted to putting abusive words in the mouths of those who disagree with you), you must not have a point worth making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

PHB wrote: »
    We should vote based solely on whether or not we want the changes proposed in this treaty.
    Personally, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't, and I don't think we've really had one put forward in this thread yet.

Infact all we've had is this utterly unsubstantiated claim:
    [quote
    PHB wrote:
    Please explain how anything the treaty does achieves this?

I'd like to know if this new treaty will stop or even provide background checks on the free movement of criminals from country to country as it certainly does not now?
    A free movement of people should only involve law abiding people not crims who can do as they please, thats a big downside to EU movement as highlighted in a recent Longford murder case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ireland isn't part of the Schegen agreement. As such, Ireland's agreements and policies are their own.

As for the whole issue about whether or not you should allow criminals to come in. If you want to scan for criminals, you have to scan for everybody. You can't have freedom of movement any other way. You can't have both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

...the Lisbon treaty is a different animal from the proposed Constitution. To pick just one rather significant point: the proposed Constitution would have effectively revoked the Rome and Maastricht Treaties, as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights. The Lisbon Treaty proposes to amend the Rome and Maastricht Treaties, and leaves the Charter alone.
    And there was me thinking that the Charter of Fundamental Rights was included in Part II of the Constitution.
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2004:310:0041:0054:EN:PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

The EU elites wanted a broad public mandate, and they didn't get it. Now they are going back to doing what they do best, making the EU more efficient, and this should always be done through treaties. I don't want a referendum on every single treaty Ireland takes part in, especially when it isn't particuarly important!

It is so depressing reading this and reading the EU propaganda being regurgitated as argument.

Q; In what way are the EU elites (your word) making the EU more efficient? Supplementary Q; For how many years now is it that the auditors have been unable to sign off on any accounts for the EU due to the levels of billions of euros of fraud and theft of our funds from the EU?

Q Do you actually believe that it is a bad thing to vote on whether or not we shuld hand over more of our sovereignty to unelected commissioners who we have no mechanisation to get rid of?

I think people are silly to vote No based on the fact that this isn't being democratic to other countries. If they have that big a problem with it, vote out their government.

How do you suggest “people” vote out a government mid term?

Double speak. .
    Nope, unless you're incapable of distinguishing shades of grey.

Are you joking? I am very capable of such and recognise clearly when someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. You are deliberately speaking double speak and then trying to play with the definition of content and intent when the outcome is the same. It is not a court but a forum.

The content of the Lisbon Treaty is meant in full to recreate the intention of the constitution. The intent of the Lisbon Treaty is constitution by stealth.

Is that put a little more correctly for you?
    You can argue that the intent of Lisbon is broadly similar to that of the proposed Constitution, and I'll agree.

Do you agree?

Could you do me a favour and source these quotes (and those cited earlier)?

These quotes were separate and were separated by text and context. The first above is a widely referenced text as you can expect given who said it, its not hard to find. I don’t know you and I am unwilling to do you a favour. Look it up yourself.

This was sarcasm – it was not attributed to anyone – in fact you can quote me as its source.
    I've already pointed out that this isn't the case. You neatly failed to quote the part of my post where I did so.
    the Lisbon treaty is a different animal from the proposed Constitution. To pick just one rather significant point: the proposed Constitution would have effectively revoked the Rome and Maastricht Treaties, as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Was it this part I neatly failed to quote? Sorry I didn’t do so because it was clearly wrong.
    OTK wrote: »
    And there was me thinking that the Charter of Fundamental Rights was included in Part II of the Constitution.
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2004:310:0041:0054:EN:PDF

I have also quoted many European leaders who disagree with you. Perhaps they know something you don’t?
    You can't just say this. You have to back it up with reference to the text of the treaty.

I tell you what you tell me how it isn’t so and how the EU has not helped in the main this come about…..
    Who said so?

You did. At the end of this post when I point out exactly the circumstances your argument would have come from, you immediately cry out that I am using abusive words (eh like stupid naïve easily led and fantastical) and try and bring about a situation were you are now a victim and try to plead a ban – this is the usual from EU people not getting their way to try and either bring about a situation where you are the victim or I am a despot.
    And you're hovering on the edge of a ban for personal abuse. If you can't make a point without name-calling (you've even resorted to putting abusive words in the mouths of those who disagree with you), you must not have a point worth making.

Personal abuse? I don’t know you. I did not use abusive words or insult and it seems you are unable to take plain fact and its presentation.

Ireland isn't part of the Schegen agreement. As such, Ireland's agreements and policies are their own.

Not for long PHB with a yes vote you can vote that part of our sovereignty away too ;)

This was sarcasm – it was not attributed to anyone – in fact you can quote me as its source.
    Thank you.
    Was it this part I neatly failed to quote? Sorry I didn’t do so because it was clearly wrong.
    What part of it was wrong? This isn't a playground; you're making assertions and refusing to back them up.
    I have also quoted many European leaders who disagree with you. Perhaps they know something you don’t?
    Perhaps. Selective quotation is a wonderful art.
    I tell you what you tell me how it isn’t so and how the EU has not helped in the main this come about…..
    Nope. You've made an assertion, and now you're refusing to back it up.
    You did. At the end of this post when I point out exactly the circumstances your argument would have come from, you immediately cry out that I am using abusive words (eh like stupid naïve easily led and fantastical) and try and bring about a situation were you are now a victim and try to plead a ban – this is the usual from EU people not getting their way to try and either bring about a situation where you are the victim or I am a despot.
    Let me make something clear to you: if you had described anyone else on this thread as stupid or naive, I would have simply banned you. This is my last word on that subject: read the charter before posting again, because there will be no more warnings.

It's deeply ironic (and highly transparent) how you accuse those who disagree with you of name-calling, when it's a tactic you so quickly fell back on yourself. If you have a problem with the actual specifics of the Treaty, discuss them with reference to the Treaty itself.
    Personal abuse? I don’t know you. I did not use abusive words or insult and it seems you are unable to take plain fact and its presentation.
    "Stupid" is an insult where I come from. If you have any facts you want to share (other than selective quotes), please feel free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I think that many of the quotes attributed to Valéry Giscard d'Estaing are translations of his letter

http://www.lemonde.fr/opinions/article/2007/10/26/la-boite-a-outils-du-traite-de-lisbonne-par-valery-giscard-d-estaing_971616_3232.html

where the translation to english allows newspapers to add their own spin.

ressem wrote: »
    I think that many of the quotes attributed to Valéry Giscard d'Estaing are translations of his letter

http://www.lemonde.fr/opinions/article/2007/10/26/la-boite-a-outils-du-traite-de-lisbonne-par-valery-giscard-d-estaing_971616_3232.html

Do you think all the EU leaders I quoted have been ‘spun?’

Its mad how " no of course it is not the same, it is transparent and easily understood" can be spun into “All the earlier proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden and disguised in some way.” :)

Sorry oscarBravo this is not to peeve you off any more but you were wrong and I did quote where OTK had pointed this out:
    the Lisbon treaty is a different animal from the proposed Constitution. To pick just one rather significant point: the proposed Constitution would have effectively revoked the Rome and Maastricht Treaties, as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
    OTK wrote: »

It may indeed be an assertion in the context of a widely held testimony.

Has the EU weakened protection of its citizens and the answer must be yes given the rise in serious crime across the EU and falling rates in detection. What about paedophilia? Yes again since one of its states Denmark legalized paedophilia and this remained unchallenged by the EU. The free travel of criminals across the EU has allowed criminals from other states come here and rape and murder our citizens.

Has this free travel helped society here in Ireland.? No. Has it helped earn a lot of money for the very few? Yes. Will Ireland have to pay long term for this? Yes.

Has the EU helped the entry of multinationals into our country – yes. Have these jobs been long term secure jobs with a pension? No. (And before you say it our governments have allowed them come in use up our resources and grants, pay no tax and in some cases pollute our environment before leaving).

The EU has brought many things to us and many of them unwelcome. The Lisbon Treaty is another one of them. It will further bring us out of sovereignty and into federal superstate enslavement.

I could go on but it is becoming off topic. There are a lot of concerns about the Lisbon Treaty and the fact that the Irish public is to be the subject of a farce posing as a referendum is a disgrace.

The content of the Lisbon Treaty is meant in full to recreate the intention of the constitution. The intent of the Lisbon Treaty is constitution by stealth. Do you agree?

Sorry oscarBravo this is not to peeve you off any more but you were wrong and I did quote where OTK had pointed this out:
    OTK wrote:
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...41:0054:EN:PDF
    Fair enough, you did, but not in a particularly clear way (as in, it wasn't clear that you were using his quote to refute mine; a colon would have helped).

If you (and OTK) chose to interpret my post in that way, you should also have assumed I meant that the entire union was to be dissolved, given that I talked about the revocation of Rome and Maastricht. Since you didn't make that assumption, you shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion you did.

Let me make it clearer for you: the Constitution aimed to replace Rome, Maastricht and the Charter with a single document. Lisbon proposes to amend Rome and Maastricht, and leaves the Charter alone. Clear?
    It may indeed be an assertion in the context of a widely held testimony.

Has the EU weakened protection of its citizens and the answer must be yes given the rise in serious crime across the EU and falling rates in detection. What about paedophilia? Yes again since one of its states Denmark legalized paedophilia and this remained unchallenged by the EU. The free travel of criminals across the EU has allowed criminals from other states come here and rape and murder our citizens.

Has this free travel helped society here in Ireland.? No. Has it helped earn a lot of money for the very few? Yes. Will Ireland have to pay long term for this? Yes.

Has the EU helped the entry of multinationals into our country – yes. Have these jobs been long term secure jobs with a pension? No. (And before you say it our governments have allowed them come in use up our resources and grants, pay no tax and in some cases pollute our environment before leaving).
    Not. One. Single. Point. In any of this has anything whatsoever to do with Lisbon. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that you quite simply have a problem with the EU as it stands, and would be unconditionally opposed to any proposed treaty. Nothing you've said so far indicates any different to me.

I want to single out the statement I've highlighted in bold above. You'd better be prepared to back that up with some solid evidence in your very next post, or else retract it.
    The content of the Lisbon Treaty is meant in full to recreate the intention of the constitution. The intent of the Lisbon Treaty is constitution by stealth. Do you agree?
    I've made my position clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wonder, what effect if any, this will have on Turkey's intention to gain EU membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Tommy T wrote: »
    I will be voting No. But I find it amusing to see Sinn Fein and Jean-Marie LePenn united in a common cause.

Will Caoimhin and J-M share a platform prior to the vote..;)

Seriously though like all other EU referenda this will be mainly ignored by the People and conversely thats the No campaign's best chance...

TT:
    Any sources of good No arguments?
    I asked PMcK for some but thus far she has ignored my requests

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ressem wrote: »

Very true.

D'Estaing is an arrogant old gob****e all the same. A real arrogant pompous Grand Ecole dickhead.

An accurate and complete translation of his Le Monde Article was provided for us by the London Independent .

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/valeacutery-giscard-destaing-the-eu-treaty-is-the-same-as-the-constitution-398286.html

Its more harmful to the anti Lisbon side when read in full rather than quoted selectively via the Daily Mail ...and not attributed to the Daily mail .

He did use "illisable" = unreadable in essence ......as distinct from Not To Be Read

The Independent !
    The Treaty of Lisbon is thus a catalogue of amendments. It is unpenetrable for the public.

In other words the celeb obsessed gob****es that will vote for it will not understand it. Quite so .

Some knobbing around was done to keep the French happy. This bit was removed from main text to an appendix
    The concessions given to French opponents of the constitutional treaty are more symbolic than substantial. The expression "free and undistorted competition" has been taken out at the request of President Sarkozy.

So he can get the thing passed. However
    It reappears at the request of the British, in an annexed protocol to the new treaty which stipulates that "the internal market, such as is defined in Article 3 of the treaty, includes a system guaranteeing that competition is undistorted".

The Irish will likely provide this system for the whole of the EU, its called Comreg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can anyone answer me this question? I would not be the most political person posting here, although i am pro European superstate as i have stated.
    My question is this. A lot of arguments pretty much boil down to us as a nation losing power and pretty much being subordinate to Europe (as you would expect if Europe becomes one country). So why would almost all of our own politicians, who are already in power and some might say are on power trips... Why would they be pushing for us to vote yes if the end result is them losing some of that power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ive never voted in my life before, but im going to vote in this election. And its going to be NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do you think all the EU leaders I quoted have been ‘spun?’

And you accuse OB of being naive
    Has the EU helped the entry of multinationals into our country – yes. Have these jobs been long term secure jobs with a pension? No. (And before you say it our governments have allowed them come in use up our resources and grants, pay no tax and in some cases pollute our environment before leaving)

To be fair, the irish govt. has always bent over backwards to entice multinationals into this country, the EU just made it a little easier for them, I don't disagree with what you said, just that the blame lies with the Irish govt. not the EU.
    The EU has brought many things to us and many of them unwelcome. The Lisbon Treaty is another one of them. It will further bring us out of sovereignty and into federal superstate enslavement.

Many of the things it brought have benefited our country greatly, I do not understand Lisbon, nor would I claim to, I do not understand its implications. Until I do I am voting No. If someone can come forward and make sense of it all, there is a chance of a yes vote. Until then,:confused: Status quo to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I would be default yes (I find it hard to stomach being on the same side as the Nazis, Socialists and Communists), but I'm going to give it a good read before I vote.

I found the above to be a strange comment. I'm no expert in politics but I always thought nazis and communists were on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum. Why are they in agreement? Can anyone explain in layman's terms what the lisbon treaty will mean? I've heard it mentioned a lot lately on the news/radio etc. but nobody has explained exactly what we will be voting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Apparently, we don't need to know. We're the only country voting on it and the rest of Europe will be laughing at us if we vote against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

grahamo wrote: »
    Can anyone explain in layman's terms what the lisbon treaty will mean? I've heard it mentioned a lot lately on the news/radio etc. but nobody has explained exactly what we will be voting for.

http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/glance/index_en.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Cardinal wrote: »
    Apparently, we don't need to know. We're the only country voting on it and the rest of Europe will be laughing at us if we vote against it.

What a stupid thing to say. The "rest of europe" probably dont even know anything about this treaty. More scare-mongering by another liberal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

I would like to try and safeguard the few remaining rights in eixstance. Therefore I am voting NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 willyjoe

I would like to try and safeguard the few remaining rights in eixstance. Therefore I am voting NO.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hey look the referendum commission have a website! http://www.refcom.ie/RefCom/refcomwebsite.nsf/pagecurrent/26DA2F64D8A7EEB080256E9600553417?opendocument

But look the current status of the referendum commission is that there is no referendum commission!

Hmmmm now if I wasn't the cynical type I would have thought that the Government would have set one up as soon as possible to explain all the ramifications of the Lisbon Treaty.

Now why could they not be arsed doing that until the last minute? Couldn't be anything with having to be seen to be even handed could it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

+2

Did anyone notice the split between Labour and the unions. Labour are pro-treaty and one or two of the unions are campaigning against it. I'm not sure wich unions are going against it though.

I'm voting YES because I want cabbages to stay green and bananas to stay yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

I'm voting YES because I want cabbages to stay green and bananas to stay yellow.

Could you expand? If the MP's don't know what its all about, how can the average person. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3257641.ece

• Advertisement

You first. I made as much reference to the contents of the Treaty as you did.

Advertisement