Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options
  • 21-01-2008 4:05pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They've announced the 2008 route. It's much the same as last year, but this time you go left at the top of the Sally gap and go over Djouce before heading on to Laragh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Nice variation on last years route - That descent off the shoulder of djouce is seriously fast, then onto "the wall" - goodbye legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

trinewbie wrote: »
    Nice variation on last years route - That descent off the shoulder of djouce is seriously fast, then onto "the wall" - goodbye legs.

The proposed descent from the Sally Gap is a bit of a belter too. I'm always afraid that I'll take flight from some of the bumps.

Yeah - the little humpback bridge can be scary flat out!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Can't wait.... Look out for me. I'll be the one wheezing all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

200k is such a long distance, I'm gonna try to do it, but with exams and projects and stuff I'll find it hard to get up to that distance.

Hungrycol: we shall wheeze together, i'll draft off you though!:p

• Advertisement

cunnins4 wrote: »
    200k is such a long distance, I'm gonna try to do it, but with exams and projects and stuff I'll find it hard to get up to that distance.

Hungrycol: we shall wheeze together, i'll draft off you though!:p

I did it last year for the first time. Put in the training and you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

does anyobdy feel that a boards.ie gathering should take place at this yrs wicklow 200? while there may be a broad range of fitness levels, itll still be a nice thing to do, if some are going alone. ??

id personally like to meet some of the usual heads from this site.

We could organise a training ride prior to it maybe?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    We could organise a training ride prior to it maybe?

And do Membrane's "Is low gearing better" challenge in the process.

el tonto wrote: »
    And do Membrane's "Is low gearing better" challenge in the process.

Yes, and do it after we have been cycling for 100km and the group has thinned out :)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plan.

Sounds good.:D

must get out on the bike again soon....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Why don't you all do a few other Sportifs before the 200, like the Mount Leinster Challenge etc to get yourself well prepared.
    Bray wheelers, Sorrento, Orwell do a few sportifs in the months before the 200.
    Well worth doing a few testing rides before the big one. It will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Mount Leinster Challenge is a great training ride for the W200. Quiet roads with plenty of climbing and great food in Kiltealy village! Its on Sunday 18th May this year.

http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/club-tours.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

June 8th should be after my exams, so I may be up for it... only problem is that I'm pretty unfit and ride a fixed gear, so I'll be the guy at the back!

Definitely up for a boards meet up though :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Planet X wrote: »
    Why don't you all do a few other Sportifs before the 200, like the Mount Leinster Challenge etc to get yourself well prepared.
    Bray wheelers, Sorrento, Orwell do a few sportifs in the months before the 200.
    Well worth doing a few testing rides before the big one. It will stand to you.

Yep, did one of the Bray ones last year which was kind of handy.
    June 8th should be after my exams, so I may be up for it... only problem is that I'm pretty unfit and ride a fixed gear, so I'll be the guy at the back!

W200 on a fixie? That should be interesting.

el tonto wrote: »
    W200 on a fixie? That should be interesting.

I think death defying rather than interesting, considering I'm a total noob to long distance... may flip to single-speed though, I'll see how some training rides go leading up to it!

I think death defying rather than interesting, considering I'm a total noob to long distance... may flip to single-speed though, I'll see how some training rides go leading up to it!

If you can get up Slieve Mann after 130km on a fixie, I'll buy you a new bike! *

* Offer will not be honoured

Eh, is this even possible on a double?:confused:

• Advertisement

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Eh, is this even possible on a double?:confused:

It sure is.

Raam wrote: »
    If you can get up Slieve Mann after 130km on a fixie, I'll buy you a new bike! *

* Offer will not be honoured

I'll take you up on that *

*challenge may not be accepted

What I'll probably do is train on my fixie, and then a couple weeks before get one with gears :)

Have you ever ridden your fixie on any of these roads?

Not yet, hence my stupid level of bravado :)

Will take some of them on this weekend and see how I fair

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Definitely up for a boards meet up though :)
    the 'clash was done on a fixed wheel but was a lot flatter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

If someone hears of an upcoming sportive e.g. Mount Leinster Challange mentioned earlier, can you post up it as a new topic/thread. Would hate to miss an opportunity to get in some organised mileage bwfore the W200.

Ta muchly....

We should get a sticky going.

Here's the ones I am doing...
    Tour Of Ireland (May 9th - May 12th)
    Wicklow 200 (June 8th)
    Sean Kelly Tour (August 24th)

Here are the ones I know about...
    Ring Of Kerry
    Mount Leinster Challenge
    Lap The Lough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I haven't copied the contact details - email / phone numbers on original page
    http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25
    AUDAX Ireland Events 2008

13/4/08 Clash 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Bray
    11/5/08 Midleton 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Midleton
    25/5/08 Mick Byrne 200 Start 08.00hrs Dalkey
    21/6/08 Surf and Turf 300 Start 08.00hrs Clonmel
    5/7/08 REK400 Start @ 02.00hrs Dundrum
    24/8/08 Dying Cow 200 Start @08.00 hrs Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

The Carlow club have a tough century usually on first Sun of month.
    It takes in the Cut and Wolftrap and a few other smaller ones and its a
    good test to see what the iegs are like.Also there is a heated poolat the end we can use and loads of grub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Not yet, hence my stupid level of bravado :)

Will take some of them on this weekend and see how I fair

Good luck to you! Whatever about the climbs causing you problems, beware of some of the faster descents 'cos on a fixie some of them are likely to be very dodgy.

Advertisement