Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

ventoux wrote: »
    The Carlow club have a tough century usually on first Sun of month.
    It takes in the Cut and Wolftrap and a few other smaller ones and its a
    good test to see what the iegs are like.Also there is a heated poolat the end we can use and loads of grub.

Sorry but I forgot to mention the month which is May.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Eh, is this even possible on a double?:confused:
    Most people do it on a double, because they are REAL cyclists.

Mind you last year I was passing plenty of these cyclists on the climbs with my triple, many of which were walking by the time we got to Slieve Mann ;)

But yes, it is perfectly doable with a double. Certainly easier with a compact or triple though.

There is plenty of time for training from now; I had never done close to that distance in one go before and was planning on doing the 100k but ended up doing the 200 on the day and was fine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I remember reading on the W200 forum that some guy from one of the clubs went up Slieve Mann in his big ring. Think it was the year before last.

BTW that reminds me my last minute entry last year was thanks to el tonto's broken finger. Hope that all healed up OK; thanks again for the entry! You are in Madrid now? (I am presuming you didn't make it up to that mountain pass starting from Dublin on Stephen's Day, if however you did, extra extra well done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

hi all

never heard of this wiklow 200 until just stumbled across this post.sounds very interesting have to say.many amateurs with the run of the mill mountain bike do this?

what kind of times are people doing this in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    You are in Madrid now? (I am presuming you didn't make it up to that mountain pass starting from Dublin on Stephen's Day, if however you did, extra extra well done.)

No I was just there for a few week's at Christmas. My wife is from that part of the world, which means I get the pleasure of cycling on proper roads and up proper mountains a few times a year. Finger healed up nicely in the end, although it did keep me off the bike for a good while.

Hi Paddy, it's almost 100% "amateurs" but many would be very varying levels of "enthusiast" ;-) Almost all would be on road bikes; it is a long and hilly course and would be a long way to go on a mountain bike. There is however a 100km course that would have more mountain bikes etc. on it. It's not a race and you have up to 14 hours to complete. I did it last year in 8 hours cycling + 2 hours lounging around the checkpoints; I would imagine this was around the middle.

el tonto wrote: »
    No I was just there for a few week's at Christmas. My wife is from that part of the world, which means I get the pleasure of cycling on proper roads and up proper mountains a few times a year. Finger healed up nicely in the end, although it did keep me off the bike for a good while.
    It is a nice country for cycling all right although I have rarely had the opportunity without ~30kg of bike+panniers+tent to lug up those proper mountains. I found those "snowflake" warning signs you get up the mountains amusing in 40 degree heat (well as amusing as you can find anything at that temperature) but I guess your photo proves they don't lie after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

paddylast wrote: »
    hi all

never heard of this wiklow 200 until just stumbled across this post.sounds very interesting have to say.many amateurs with the run of the mill mountain bike do this?

what kind of times are people doing this in?

I clocked up 7.5hrs. I didn't stop at the breaks apart from getting my card scanned. I ended up doing pretty much the whole thing on my own because I started just after 6 and there was hardly anyone else going at that stage. I think have the proud honour of being the first 200 entrant through the Donnard and the Rathdrum checkpoints :) Everyone caught up with me after that and the route also joins back with the 100 at that point.

I found those "snowflake" warning signs you get up the mountains amusing in 40 degree heat (well as amusing as you can find anything at that temperature) but I guess your photo proves they don't lie after all.

There's even a ski station at the top of that pass.
    Raam wrote: »
    I clocked up 7.5hrs. I didn't stop at the breaks apart from getting my card scanned....

That's good going. Rushing home for Sunday dinner?

• Advertisement

There's even a ski station at the top of that pass.

That's good going. Rushing home for Sunday dinner?

I got into a good groove that day. Paid for it going over Djouce though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Well done Raam. I got around in 8hr 10 mins but stopped at all the re fuelling stops and had a good sit down. The previous year I did 8hr 30mins.
    Did you do the Mount Leinster? Corabutt Gap was fun (not!)

thanks mate. Never done Mount Leinster Challenge. I heard that one of the hills is a killer, must be the one you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Links below to profile of Mount Leinster climbs from Corrabutt and Bunclody directions. The Mount Leinster challenge goes up from both directions (!) but avoids the final climb to the RTE mast all of which is in excess of 10% and must be 15%+ in parts.

The climb to the mast is from the Nine Stones car park/viewing area and is a private road owned by RTE with a locked gate. Its mainly used by walkers but theres a stile you can carry the bike over if you wish. WARNING this is a serious climb with a even more serious really straight high speed descent.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Leinster-Mount&qryMountainID=7208

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Leinster-Mount&qryMountainID=7207

Online entry has been open for at least ten minutes. I trust you have all secured your place?

Just payed for 200.

Just entered. Anyone have a weather forecast for 8th June?

Should be like tonight, about minus 5.

Just entered. Anyone have a weather forecast for 8th June?

I hope it's the same as the day we had last year, a total beauty.

Raam wrote: »
    I hope it's the same as the day we had last year, a total beauty.
    I agree, beautiful day. Our "summer" started shortly after... Didn't stop people complaining about "the heeeat." I blame them for what transpired from June to August.

• Advertisement

I agree, beautiful day. Our "summer" started shortly after... Didn't stop people complaining about "the heeeat." I blame them for what transpired from June to August.

On the way over to UCD in the morning I was fretting because I forgot my arm warmers. By the end of it I was wishing I had gone for a sleevless top.

That I said, I am in no way complaining about the weather that day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'm signed up. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm signing up for this and the ROK. Forgot my credit card this morning though...

When you roll down to UCD, like I did last year, live up the road in Stillorgan, it was mighty chilly at 6am 'ish. Wouldn't bother with sleeve warmers or anything. You'll soon warm up.

Concentrate on getting a big bowl of porridge/honey down your neck. Coffee. Weetabix. Loads of water and feel totally Michelin Man. And then, last nights left over Pasta. Which I did last year. I felt like a candidate for Trinny and Suzanna or whatever...........

I was going up Slieve Mann at 12:10pm, that was the last thing I wanted hanging off my arms, sleeve warmers or extra clothing. (not having a dig)
    When I did the first Mount Leinster Challenge, apparently, I was one of the very few in short sleeved top. Freezing at the start, but after 20 mins.........

Deal with 5/10 minutes of cold at that early hour. Climbing with extra kit can be a hassle.
    As regards bringing enough water/bottles etc. Saw a few guys with extra bottles in back pockets. I brought 2 X 500ml bottles but never drained both as there were enough stops along the way. But that was me. Don't underestimate fluid intake though. I refilled at every stop and downed a pint of ''foc'' fluid at each stop also.

I reckon, if you can do Sally and Wicklow Gaps in one run, you can EASILY do the 200.
    It ain't a race!

(I know, put two guys on a bike etc.............)

Something like 1700 plus last year. Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Anyone got any training tips for the 200?,i just signed up today,are you looking at putting in long distances at moderate pace or loads of climbs or a mix,what do you think?,thanks

Planet X wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with sleeve warmers or anything. You'll soon warm up.

In the summer alright, it's overkill. If you feel cold, you ain't going fast enough.
    Saw a few guys with extra bottles in back pockets.

I never really understood people who load themselves down with water when its so easy to grab a refill or two along the way, even without the rest stops.

I reckon, if you can do Sally and Wicklow Gaps in one run, you can EASILY do the 200.

Agreed, it's kind of a psychological barrier. Once you've done that you're laughing.

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Anyone got any training tips for the 200?,i just signed up today,are you looking at putting in long distances at moderate pace or loads of climbs or a mix,what do you think?,thanks

A mix, long distances with plenty of climbing. You should try and go for one long spin a week and, if you live in the area, scout out the route and get to know the roads. Start with a distance you're comfortable with and then gradually up it every week.

Don't worry too much if your initial distances seem very short. You've plenty of time and you'll be amazed at how much you can improve. I know someone who did it last year who only took up cyling in January. When he started he was in bits after 25km. Fast forward to May and he was racing me up Slieve Mann. Remember to eat well the night before and morning of your long ride and snack away while you're riding to keep the energy levels up.

Aside from that, try and get out for a few shorter spins during the week to keep the legs fresh.

In the summer alright, it's overkill. If you feel cold, you ain't going fast enough.

Ah go easy, I've no body fat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Does anyone happen to have it mapped out on google maps or google earth or somehow I can get it into my GPS (Garmin Forerunner 305)?
    Thanks
    K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

bunnygreen wrote: »

You don't run a marathon to train for a marathon. Do a few 100 km cycles and if possible to incorporate some climbs into it, ideally around some of the route. Good preparation is half the work done. I did it for the first time last year by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to take the Monday off work on the 9th June this year. I had to take a half day on the Monday last year as I was dog tired, body was fine though. Rest at the stops and refill your bottles, that's what they're there for. My God I didn't want to see another energy bar for a long time after it too!

Advertisement