Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hi lads, I've just signes up for the 200/100 and am just looking for a reality check.

I am not a full on cyclist, i.e. I commute 8 or 9 kms each way to work every day and that is all. I am pretty fit though playing rugby at a reasonably high level. I did 1 100 km cycle a good few years back and more recently a few spins from sandyford to bray via Enniskerry.
    My question is am I mad to be contemplating the 200? Should I just plan on the 100 or see how training goes. I don't want to kill myself but at the same time I don't mind a bit of pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

go for it!
    longer evenings mean more cycling time, better weather (last week) means more motivation to get on the bike. Join the saturday morning spins if you can. commuting 20k a day is a pretty nice base to start from over never having been on a bike before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's doable alright and you'll be fine if you get some training in. You'd need to start getting out into the mountains at the weekends though. The climbs on the W200 are a good bit tougher than the run up to Enniskerry.

As fare as I can recall, the organisers allow you to switch between the 100 and 200 up till the morning of the event, so you can sign up and play it by ear and see how the training goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Give it a go- as El Tonto says you don't need to decide which one you want to do until the morning (you actually don't even decide until you reach the turnoff after Eniskerry, about 20km in.) Will you turn left or right?

blorg wrote: »
    Give it a go- as El Tonto says you don't need to decide which one you want to do until the morning (you actually don't even decide until you reach the turnoff after Eniskerry, about 20km in.) Will you turn left or right?

I read that alright, I'm fairly sure no matter how the training goes there'll be a very strong temptation to turn for the 100 route.

Thanks for the encouragement lads. Planning to head up to Johnnie Fox's this evening, I'll see how that goes.

• Advertisement

Brrrrrr!
    A nice short but challenging way up there is to go straight up Eniskerry village - take a right turn if you're coming either of the roads in from Kilternan, there's a tough climb there, follow the road for a bit and after it kicks around to the left with a small 'no through road' straight on, take the next immediate right - there's a bus stop just after the right hand turn, and at themoment there's also a 'for sale' sign at that turn. If you go on straight there you will eventually come to foxes, via another tough ascent from a sharp snaking turn over the river. I *thought* that this was known as the devils elbow, but was recently corrected - anyway, it's a short route distance wise but challenging.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kenmc wrote: »
    I *thought* that this was known as the devils elbow, but was recently corrected - anyway, it's a short route distance wise but challenging.

I was told that's the devil's elbow as well. What is then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dub_skav wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure no matter how the training goes there'll be a very strong temptation to turn for the 100 route.
    You'll never forgive yourself if you do turn left...
    I found the 100km route considerably easier than the 200km. I chose it because I was intimidated by the description of the 200. I did the 200 last year though I'd only done 5 or 6 training sessions (4-5hrs each).

daymobrew wrote: »
    You'll never forgive yourself if you do turn left...
    I found the 100km route considerably easier than the 200km. I chose it because I was intimidated by the description of the 200. I did the 200 last year though I'd only done 5 or 6 training sessions (4-5hrs each).

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. I've 2 months to get myself together, may as well train for the 200 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Pity they can't provide a profile of the climbs on the Wicklow 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. I've 2 months to get myself together, may as well train for the 200 at least.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as yourself. I started training last week, I would strongly recommend you tackle as many climbs as you can before the event. Pick up a cycling book in your local library, they often have great tips about how to train for these kinds of things. If you don't do the whole lactate thresholding and turbo training, etc. it makes things harder.

I did my first saturday spin there and you couldn't ask for a more helpful bunch. Well worth gettin a few of those under your belt.

My plan is to do as many UCD to Sally Gap trips as I can, maybe try a few other parts of the route for variety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Brrrrrr!
    A nice short but challenging way up there is to go straight up Eniskerry village - take a right turn if you're coming either of the roads in from Kilternan, there's a tough climb there, follow the road for a bit and after it kicks around to the left with a small 'no through road' straight on, take the next immediate right - there's a bus stop just after the right hand turn, and at themoment there's also a 'for sale' sign at that turn. If you go on straight there you will eventually come to foxes, via another tough ascent from a sharp snaking turn over the river. I *thought* that this was known as the devils elbow, but was recently corrected - anyway, it's a short route distance wise but challenging.

Ken, you're correct. I'm wrong. Someone told me that the turn onto Sally G road as you pass the Liam Horner Memorial on the way up from Powerscourt etc was the elbow.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

penexpers wrote: »
    Pity they can't provide a profile of the climbs on the Wicklow 200.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2008/2008profiles.shtml

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some 200Km's before the Wicklow 200,
    These won't have anywhere near as many people or logistical support

http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25

13/4/08 Clash 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Bray

The first event of the season is intended to follow a fairly flat route with no major routesheet reading involved thus allowing for a gentle start to the year.The start point is at Bray Wheelers Clubhouse and then on towards Arklow via the coast road,over the hill to Avoca,following the Vale of Avoca to Woodenbridge and Aughrim.The route then heads for Carnew, Clonegal, Ardattin (sit down control), Shillelagh, Aughrim and home via N11.

11/5/08 Midleton 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Midleton

Leaving Midleton the route will head north out of County Cork and into Waterford going through Tallow, the historic town of Lismore before climbing The Vee and descending into Tipp. at Clogheen. The route will then head east to Clonmel before the second major climb of the day to Rathgormac and eventually heading south to the Gold Coast and into Dungarvan. Sticking close to the sea (not using the N25) the route heads out towards Rinn on to Old Parish and into the seaside town of Ardmore. Around the bay at Youghal through the town and then using some quiet roads (again staying off the N25) back to Midleton. While there are a number of climbs they are mainly based in the first half of the route. A good day out as an appetiser to the Wicklow 200!

25/5/08 Mick Byrne 200 Start 08.00hrs Dalkey

This challenging route is in memory of Mick Byrne, a long time cycling enthusiast and founder member of Sorrento C.C.The route starts in Dalkey,passes Mick’s house at the quarry prior to heading on to some fairly hilly terrain around Wicklow.This is a challenging event with a fair bit of climbing but most people will find themselves covering some new backroads around the Garden County and your efforts will be greatly rewarded by the spectacular scenery.

Well I headed up to Johnny Fox's after work last night and felt pretty good about it.
    Went up Ballyedmonduff Road, turned at Johnny Fox's onto Pineforest road and went all the way to rathfarnham. At the sign-post on Cruagh road i saw the sign for Sally Gap and thought to myself - another day.
    I forgot how cold descending is, was very glad of my Altura night-vision and North Face hat I can tell you.

Didn't need to stand up out of the saddle at all apart from on 1 flat bit where I thought my ass needed a rest and I didn't need to go onto the small ring on the front either.

All in all an encouraging start to training. I now have my sights firmly set on the 200 not the 100. Thanks for all the encouragement

fair play. wasn't a nice night to be out cycling - did you get pinged with the hailstones much? couple of saturdays ago it was brutally savage heading down that road towards rathfarnham....

The weather looked like turning a few times but it was just about bearable. The descent was bitter cold, but I had Gill neoprene gloves, a warm jacket and hat on so it was grand.

Reckoned I'd better get started ASAP and not let the weather be an excuse or else I'd never get started.

Another quick question if you all don't mind. I'm riding a Lapierre RCR 500
    This is a hybrid but best described as a road bike with flat bars. I've never ridden a road bike and really like the RCR 500. Will flat handlebars pose much of a problem for the 200?

This is a hybrid but best described as a road bike with flat bars. I've never ridden a road bike and really like the RCR 500. Will flat handlebars pose much of a problem for the 200?

It won't stop you, though most people like drop bars for longer rides because of the variety of hand positions they offer, making them a bit more comfortable.

el tonto wrote: »
    It won't stop you, though most people like drop bars for longer rides because of the variety of hand positions they offer, making them a bit more comfortable.

That's grand so. It has those short bar ends, i find that enough - so far :o

Another quick question if you all don't mind. I'm riding a Lapierre RCR 500
    Thats basically the same as I have (or had) - Giant FCR2. RtD has an FCR1 - same basic beast as yours - a flat barred racer. I did a couple of 70ish km rides on it, and decided to convert it to a dropped bar, mainly for the reason of different hand positions, but more importantly the ability to change your back position by going up or down onto the tops/hoods/drops - I found my back was getting a bit stiff. I was also trying _not_ to stand for climbs, cos I thought that it was 'the proper way' whereas I've since read that you should really be regularly up and down off the saddle to keep your body from stiffening into the one position. I make a point now of climbing some smaller hills out of the saddle, and I try not to use the grannyring unless I REALLY need to!

• Advertisement

Thats basically the same as I have (or had) - Giant FCR2. RtD has an FCR1 - same basic beast as yours - a flat barred racer. I did a couple of 70ish km rides on it, and decided to convert it to a dropped bar, mainly for the reason of different hand positions, but more importantly the ability to change your back position by going up or down onto the tops/hoods/drops - I found my back was getting a bit stiff. I was also trying _not_ to stand for climbs, cos I thought that it was 'the proper way' whereas I've since read that you should really be regularly up and down off the saddle to keep your body from stiffening into the one position. I make a point now of climbing some smaller hills out of the saddle, and I try not to use the grannyring unless I REALLY need to!

Good advice on moving between seated and standing positions, cheers. It's always nice to know the grannyring is there just in case you need it though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I did the W200 last year without standing on any of the climbs (triple.) It is good to vary your position all right but I wouldn't think avoiding the granny ring and standing on climbs is good general advice (if you are going to stand smaller climbs are indeed the place to do it.)

blorg wrote: »
    I did the W200 last year without standing on any of the climbs (triple.) It is good to vary your position all right but I wouldn't think avoiding the granny ring and standing on climbs is good general advice (if you are going to stand smaller climbs are indeed the place to do it.)

That's the way I took it, standing when it is easy to do so to stretch your back - not to mention rest your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Think ill give the 100km a whirl. I crossed the line the other week and bought cycling shorts so might aswell put them to good use. Been a long time since i won a medal for anything too so that should be some incentive (heh). How comparable is howth hill to the first climb? Dont think it'll be that bad. 2km climb for 35kms downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was also trying _not_ to stand for climbs, cos I thought that it was 'the proper way' whereas I've since read that you should really be regularly up and down off the saddle to keep your body from stiffening into the one position. I make a point now of climbing some smaller hills out of the saddle, and I try not to use the grannyring unless I REALLY need to!

There have been many studies done on whether or not its more effecient to climb out of the saddle or not. Basically it comes down to your weight. If you light its better to climb in the saddle.

Well in that case I don't think there's much danger of me falling into the 'in the saddle' category :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

haha same here! best start standing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

c0rk3r wrote: »
    How comparable is howth hill to the first climb? Dont think it'll be that bad. 2km climb for 35kms downhill.
    If you go up and down Howth a few times (from both sides) you'll be able for any of the hills on the W200 (if I remember correctly none of the W100 hills are as difficult as Howth). Get a few ~5hr cycles in and you'll be grand for the W200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

Hi guys,

I signed up myself this week for the 200. I cycle in the northside and have already gone around howth and the summit a few times.
    the slope is good enough, but maybe a bit short for a good training.
    If somebody would like to join us on the training this sunday, let me know.

here a link for a very stiff hill in the basque country challenge from this week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ncbK5Th8zA

I will join the lads for a saturday morning training at some stage.

take it easy

• Advertisement

If anyone hasn't gotten their entry in yet, now might be the time to do it. According to the website 1,100 of 1,500 spots have already been filled and I'd say there will be a late rush before too long.

Advertisement