Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best League In The World?

• 21-01-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Its been a quiet, quiet day at the cson offices so bear with me here. Now I know this is the perennial "How many roads must a man walk down?" question and its likely to annoy the ****e out of quite a few on these boards so I'd ask, if you've nothing constructive to add to the thread... then don't.

First and foremost, the roles of honour;
    Premiership
    1998 Arsenal
    1999 Man Utd
    2000 Man Utd
    2001 Man Utd
    2002 Arsenal
    2003 Man Utd
    2004 Arsenal
    2005 Chelsea
    2006 Chelsea
    2007 Man Utd

Currently
    1: Man Utd, p23, 54pts
    2: Arsenal, p23, 54pts
    3: Chelsea, p23, 50pts

La Liga
    1998 Barcelona
    1999 Barcelona
    2000 Deportivo La Coruna
    2001 Real Madrid
    2002 Valencia
    2003 Real Madrid
    2004 Valencia
    2005 Barcelona
    2006 Barcelona
    2007 Real Madrid

Currently;
    1: Real Madrid, p20, 50pts
    2: Barcelona, p20, 43pts
    3: Villarreal, p20, 38pts

Serie A
    1998 Juventus
    1999 AC Milan
    2000 Lazio
    2001 AS Roma
    2002 Juventus
    2003 Juventus
    2004 AC Milan
    2005 VOID
    2006 Inter Milan
    2007 Inter Milan

Currently;
    1: Inter Milan, p19, 49pts
    2: AS Roma, p19, 42pts
    3: Juventus, p19, 37pts

Champions League Role Of Honour
    1998 Real Madrid
    1999 Man Utd
    2000 Real Madrid
    2001 Bayern
    2002 Real Madrid
    2003 AC Milan
    2004 Porto
    2005 Liverpool
    2006 Barcelona
    2007 AC Milan

UEFA's Take On Things
    1: La Liga
    2: Premiership
    3: Serie A
    4: Ligue 1
    5: Bundesliga
    6: Portuguese Liga
    7: Romanian League 1
    8: Eredivisie

So, what do boardsie's think?

Best League = ? 53 votes

Premier League
    0%
    La Liga
    45%
    PHBMossy MonkRaskolnikovV9Drag00n79Guy:IncognitodoonothingJazzyMad_Maxcountyhomerjay2005MBCNailzSavmanOPENROADs_carnagejackdawgenericgoonkryogencm2000 24 votes
    Serie A
    41%
    Dont be at yourselfMakaveliKdjaCLMisterAnarchyBig EarsBadabingbohsmanziggyel rabitosapplehunterA Dub in Glasgoninebeanrowsd22ontourAuversMitch ConnorkinaldoeZe^arch_stantonterry macAn Citeog 22 votes
    Ligue 1
    7%
    Mr. Presentabledor83ciaran76Bubs101 4 votes
    Bundesliga
    0%
    Portuguese League 1
    1%
    chopperbyrne 1 vote
    Romanian League 1
    0%
    Eredivisie
    3%
    Pepe LeFritstdv 2 votes
    SPL
    0%
    EPL
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

La Liga
    I reckon the premier is the best in terms of excitement and all the razz that goes with it. Also the fastest and most physical IMO.

Although i think La Liga is an all round better league. If you think outside the top say 6 in the premier you have very very average teams who dont play attractive ball. Where in la liga the quality from the mid table teams can be very good!.

Im not a fan of seria A at all. I dont know what it is about that league just a bit drab or something.

Like bundesliga aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Most entertaining? PL
    Best defensively? Serie A
    Most skillful? La Liga
    FTW? Ligue 1 ;)

All depends on what floats your boat, I watched Milan vs Juventus on Bet365 a while back, finished 0-0 but I thought it was a great game. I love a well organised defence!

I've also seen 67 goals scored in 16 Spurs games so far...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ligue 1? I like french football, I watch Canal+ quite a bit but in terms of being the best League? Not for me, Lyon have monopolised it in the last 6 years and they're more than likely gonna win it again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cson wrote: »
    Ligue 1? I like french football, I watch Canal+ quite a bit but in terms of being the best League? Not for me, Lyon have monopolised it in the last 6 years and they're more than likely gonna win it again this year.

I was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Find me a league more unpredictible than the LoI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

La Liga
    DSB....y'alright??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In this order.

eircom League First Division.
    astro.ie 11-a-side Mens Midweek League Division 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Portuguese League 1
    Bundesliga is the most consistently entertaining league to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Savman wrote: »
    DSB....y'alright??

Haha I like watching football in person on a regular basis. It's better for me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Serie A
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Serie A
    La Liga by a mile, much more quality teams further down the league, and has great entertainment great goals alot more skill than other leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Serie A
    In this order space indicative of betterness.

La Liga

EPL

EL

kdjac

The gap to eL is too small imo.

La Liga
    It's official, 10% of boards is clinically insane.

Hang on Sav.

I think the eL is great because I can follow my team every week, go to see them live every week.

That is what I love about it.

I can't do that with Serie A, La Liga, Premiership, League of Wales, Ligue 1, Bundesliga et cetera et cetera.

The op didn't ask which league has the best players, did he? Or which league has more skill?

La Liga
    Aye but romance aside, it could hardly be considered "best league in the world". In fact I'd say it's inclusion in the poll was to placate yerself :D

Aye but romance aside,
    Romance? You obviously haven't been to the Flan Siro in Longford so.

They romance the sheep up there :D
    In fact I'd say it's inclusion in the poll was to placate yerself :D

lol, but they didn't include the First Division :mad:

Aye but romance aside, it could hardly be considered "best league in the world". In fact I'd say it's inclusion in the poll was to placate yerself :D

whats the benchmark of best?

you cannot beat La Liga for flair. Brazialian leagues for mentalism. LoI for unpredictability. Serie A for fan culture. Poland for fights. What are we judging?

La Liga
    DesF wrote:
    First Division
    :eek:

/runs away

La Liga
    whats the benchmark of best?

you cannot beat La Liga for flair. Brazialian leagues for mentalism. LoI for unpredictability. Serie A for fan culture. Poland for fights. What are we judging?
    Sheesh, you asking me?

• Advertisement

Well I'm not asking for the best individual trait of each league, I'm asking for the league that has the best of everything, fans, players, stadiums, competition...et cetera.

La Liga
    Premiership has the best burgers. There I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Premiership has the best burgers. There I said it.

Haha well as a vegetarian I'm going to stick to my lovely curry chips from Leo Burdocks at Tolka

PS. It isn't lovely really.

Well I'm not asking for the best individual trait of each league, I'm asking for the league that has the best of everything, fans, players, stadiums, competition...et cetera.

Well somewhere like Turkey or Greece has the best fans. Very passionate.

Unlike the libraries in England.

La Liga
    DesF wrote: »
    Objection.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eredivisie
    Romanian league, obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Serie A
    La Liga for sure...

eZe^ wrote: »
    La Liga for sure...

falls down heavily on atmosphere, fan culture and in a lot of cases, stadia.

Serie A
    falls down heavily on atmosphere, fan culture and in a lot of cases, stadia.

I think the atmosphere is a subjective point. Maybe you dont like it, because the footballing culture over here is alot louder and whatnot. Seville/ Valencia can definitely rival anywhere in England for an intimidating atmosphere imo anyway. The culture is different, so theres no clear right or wrong. Some will prefer the English atmosphere, others will prefer the Spanish. I just always thought the Spanish league was the most exciting to watch, it blends together pace and technical ability perfectly. I always thought La Liga was the home of the best players in the world, but I guess this debate is endless and its all a matter of taste...

Oh, and for atmosphere, this aint too bad I guess...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c4h_ByO77pM&feature=related

• Advertisement

Serie A
    Eze the majority of PL fans on here only watch their team play and base the best league part on that, most of them upport top four teams and at a push may watch one for those.

Comparison i watch 4 La liga games last weekend and 4 PL games (well as much as i stayed awake for).

Barclays Premier League
    Man City 1-1 West Ham :mad: :(
    Wigan 1-2 Everton :(
    Newcastle 0-0 Bolton :mad::mad:
    Reading 0-2 Man Utd :)

Atletico Madrid 0 - 2 Real Madrid :D:D
    Barcelona 1 - 0 Racing Santander :(
    Getafe 3 - 2 Sevilla :D:D:D:D
    Villarreal 3 - 0 Valencia :D:D

Smilies solve all

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hang on Sav.

I think the eL is great because I can follow my team every week, go to see them live every week.

That is what I love about it.

I can't do that with Serie A, La Liga, Premiership, League of Wales, Ligue 1, Bundesliga et cetera et cetera.

The op didn't ask which league has the best players, did he? Or which league has more skill?

Yep, The Eircom league is the best in the world.

Serie A
    On a totally irrelevant point, I cant believe Deportivo La Coruna are 2nd from bottom, it was only a couple of years ago when they were playing the best football in all of Spain... :(

I watched all those games too, although the barca game was absolutely painful at times, Gio is so immature... Cassilas is the best keeper in the world...

But ya, my favourite thing about La Liga is the fact that the lower level teams have players of a higher calibre than EPL teams... Thats slowly changing though with the increase in money but I guarantee if you watch Revista De La Liga/ Extra Time (on real madrid tv) youll notice that the lower teams score just as many wonderfully technical goals as the big boys. I just think the style of play is more suited to my tastes... Daniel Guiza/ Tchite/ Nihat being a prime example, all fantastically underrated talents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

La Liga
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    Eze the majority of PL fans on here only watch their team play and base the best league part on that, most of them upport top four teams and at a push may watch one for those.

Comparison i watch 4 La liga games last weekend and 4 PL games (well as much as i stayed awake for).

Barclays Premier League
    Man City 1-1 West Ham :mad: :(
    Wigan 1-2 Everton :(
    Newcastle 0-0 Bolton :mad::mad:
    Reading 0-2 Man Utd :)

Atletico Madrid 0 - 2 Real Madrid :D:D
    Barcelona 1 - 0 Racing Santander :(
    Getafe 3 - 2 Sevilla :D:D:D:D
    Villarreal 3 - 0 Valencia :D:D

Smilies solve all

kdjac

I don't this whole goals argument.
    EPL has 26 goals a weekend on average.
    La Liga has 26.05 goals a weekend on average

Ok maybe La Liga has it slightly :P

I think La Liga has worse defenders and a more open game than the premiership.
    I think the premiership have worse midfielders and a more physical game than La Liga.
    I think Serie A has worse wingers and a more defensive technical game than either.

I prefer the premiership, not because the average match is better, but because I like to watch a physical match. I hate watching teams like Bolton, I think they are the worst thing to hapen to English football. I blame Chelsea and Liverpool for it more than them, because they win things with horrid football. That said, I prefer watching Arsenal and United play, compared to Madrid and Barca, because they combine what I like in the premiership with fantastic attacking player. If I had to choose a random match from any of the leagues, I'd probably pick Serie A. If I had to watch Sevilla or Villarael or Chelsea and Liverpool, I'd pick the Spanish teams defo.

Serie A
    Smilies were for entertainment/Skill/just bloody better factor. :)

kdjac

La Liga
    Sky just showed **** games last weekend. The advantages of watching a league from abroad like La Liga is that you only ever watch the top four, which if you did for the EPL were

2-0
    3-0
    1-1
    1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I spent about 5 solid years following Shamrock rovers at milltown and then at the RDS, and they were good times, but in terms of sheer atmosphere and football, id go to spurs every week if I was able to.

Premier league for me is the best simply becuase I know all the teams, the players, the ins and outs of the clubs.
    I have no problem watching any other football, I just love football for footballs sake, but ti takes on additional meaning when you know all about who is playing, what they are playing for and what the individual players can do.

There are crap matches in all leagues, and there are great matches. it seems to me that too many people have the opinion that in the premier league, if its 0-0, then its just a crap match, but if you got it in serie A, that would be an example of the brilliant defensive qualities of Italian sides. If you get a 6-4 humdinger like spurs and reading last week, well, that just shows up the defensive frailties of such sides. YOu get it in La Liga, and obviously its a great example of marvelous attacking football.

Not that it matters, but I think people just like what they like, but arent prepared to acknowledge that the Premier league is as good as any other league. Having said that, having 4 spanish teams as winners of the CL in the past 10 years would indicate that La Liga has the better teams, doesnt neccessarily mean its a better league, simply that Ac milan were the most successful team in Europe for the last decade, and arguably the best as well.

Anyway, like I said, I personally like the Premier league because I know all the teams, and it adds to the excitment, but I just love the fact that its generally fast paced and exciting with a lot of passion. italian football always seemed to me to be a little bit too clinical and based on defence and counter attack, which is a bit boring. 2 minutes of excitment in a game. Love spanish football though, very fast and exciting and lots of great technical ability, but like english football, can fall into farcical stuff sometimes. great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A-League FTW......

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A-League FTW......
    rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Serie A
    Well somewhere like Turkey or Greece has the best fans. Very passionate.

they also have some of the most violent.

Tauren wrote: »
    they also have some of the most violent.
    yeah, true.

No fights happen in England though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Whats the difference between Premier League and EPL?

I think EPL is supposed to mean Eircom Premier League :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

First and foremost, the roles of honour;
    Premiership
    1998 Arsenal
    1999 Man Utd
    2000 Man Utd
    2001 Man Utd
    2002 Arsenal
    2003 Man Utd
    2004 Arsenal
    2005 Chelsea
    2006 Chelsea
    2007 Man Utd

Currently
    1: Man Utd, p23, 54pts
    2: Arsenal, p23, 54pts
    3: Chelsea, p23, 50pts

La Liga
    1998 Barcelona
    1999 Barcelona
    2000 Deportivo La Coruna
    2001 Real Madrid
    2002 Valencia
    2003 Real Madrid
    2004 Valencia
    2005 Barcelona
    2006 Barcelona
    2007 Real Madrid

Note the weird similarity in title distrubiton from 2001 onward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Serie A
    Wow - read the invisible ink lines where i said there was no violent fans in England.

I see a lot more pics of stadium violence in places like Turkey and Greece - along with team buses being attacked, and the like; stadium security - the bit clubs actually have control over.

La Liga
    gustavo wrote: »
    Note the weird similarity in title distrubiton from 2001 onward

Yeh I remember seeing that pointed out by somebody. Weird as **** eh? Madrid are like 9 points clear though so :)

Yer and Valencia are fooked :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

La Liga
    This time last year i would have been definitely saying La Liga was the best league in the world but i think the Premiership has being a lot more exciting this year.

Hold on does the Champions LEAGUE count?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ligue 1
    I voted Seria A by accident !!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Eredivisie
    La Liga the most enjoyable to watch. Serie A is still the best & hardest league in the world to crack it in.

The Premiership is a pile of crap excepet for 2 teams. I'd much rather watch some S.American League or what not, than watch that long ball hippy league called the Premiership.

Serie A
    Surprised to see such a little difference between the Premiership and La Liga votes seeing as most of the boards support Premiership sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement