Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In search of the best Coffee experience 100 euro will buy

Options
  • 21-01-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

That's my task. 100 euro total budget for equipment. Some flexibility, but not much.

We're getting a bit sick of our current coffee machine (have had ongoing trouble with the top of it). It's a really old style electric brewer and works fine after being out of action now for some time (one of many times). So.....

Obviously I could just spend 100 euro on a machine of some description (and I'm 100% open to this), but I'm thinking: popcorn popper (around 30 euro), bodum 8 cup cafetiere (around 40 euro) and a grinder (30 euro = crap grinder?).

Like I said though, I'm totally open to whatever you all think would get the best coffee experience for that budget.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Hmm, wonder whether it's worth trying to roast your own for use on such a modest rig when you could buy fresh-roast beans easily enough - which would give you more to spend on brewing equipment. Maybe you were thinking of roasting up exotic blends - I'm not convinced you would extract enough of the flavour to make this worthwhile unless you're brewing espresso.

You don't say what kind of coffee you prefer, but personally I'd invest in a Bialetti (around 30 - 40 Euro), and a cheap grinder (about 20 Euro), buy freshly roasted beans often in small quantities, and work towards buying better equipment later on.

I don't think spending all your 100 Euro will give you a significantly better experience than this, though others might have better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmmm. Fair enough then. I would have thought that a cafetiere would have given a decent enough brew. I'm not a big espresso fan. Mostly I just love a mug of delicious coffee with steamed milk (in fact, I'm going to go and make one now).

Is the Bialetti only for espresso? Or could you use a larger one for mugs of coffee too?

I should say that although I really enjoy coffee, I've only recently come to the conclusion that I'm missing out with my home brew. I'm no expert by any means.

As I said in my first post, it depends on what you like. My preference would be for a Bialetti over a cafetiere 'cos I like deep strong brews. What you get from a mocha pot isn't really espresso (see other threads for arguments about this!) but it's the closest thing you'll get at that price. You can adjust the strength of the brew by using different coffees and varying the amount. I've used mine to make mugs of coffee, but admittedly I was heavily into the caffeine buzz at the time ;)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against cafetieres. I used one for a long time and was quite happy - it's still there in the press and gets broken out now and then. As I say, in the end it all depends on what you like to drink.

One thing that strikes me though... it was that feeling of "missing out" that led me from instant crap to the cafetiere, then to the mocha pot and finally to espresso. I wonder how many other people that's true for? Probably more than a few. Take care, it can get expensive :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Khannie wrote: »
    Is the Bialetti only for espresso? Or could you use a larger one for mugs of coffee too?

The Bialetti will make near espresso strenth coffee. You can always add some hot water to make an 'americano' type drink.

The popcorn popper might be an interesting experiment but some roasting knowledge would be an advantage. It might be worth taking a risk for the sake of €30, but without the grinder...

TBH, I don't think one of the whirr grinders (which is all you'll get for this money) is going to be suitable for the Bialletti Moka Pot. You would need decent burr grinder consistency. These are considerably more expensive. Might be worth saving the shillings.

Good, freshly roasted coffee is widely available now. If I were you I'd buy a new cafetiere and a moka pot and see how you get on. If you're enjoying the pot then you could consider a grinder down the road. You should budget €200 for the entry level burr grinder.

rockbeer wrote: »
    One thing that strikes me though... it was that feeling of "missing out" that led me from instant crap to the cafetiere, then to the mocha pot and finally to espresso. I wonder how many other people that's true for? Probably more than a few. Take care, it can get expensive :)

.0/

As I said in my first post, it depends on what you like. My preference would be for a Bialetti over a cafetiere 'cos I like deep strong brews.

Well it's for both myself and my wife. She likes weaker coffee than I do, so I do have to bear that in mind. I think the moka pot is worth a bash as an initial purchase to step up from the electric yoke we have now (I have no idea what to call it....it's a tall silver pot with a transparent cone shaped part at the top), then possibly a cafetiere (as magnolia suggested) if the moka pot doesn't work out as well as I'd hope.

From reading around a bit, it sounds like the cheaper grinders just aren't worth the money, but 200 lids is a _lot_ to part with for a piece of coffee hardware.
    Take care, it can get expensive :)

Sounds like it alright. :)

• Advertisement

(I have no idea what to call it....it's a tall silver pot with a transparent cone shaped part at the top)

That sounds like what we used to call a percolator when I lived at home (longer ago than I care to remember).

Well it's for both myself and my wife. She likes weaker coffee than I do, so I do have to bear that in mind. I think the moka pot is worth a bash

If you're buying the moka pot maybe go for the 6-cup (big enough for the 2 of you). You can mix some hot water for the wife's weaker coffee and drink it straight, or indeed mix hot water for yourself.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie or ebay for a grinder. If you come across one at a decent price we'll take a look at it and see if it's worth it.

Let us know how you get on with the moka pot too.

That sounds like what we used to call a percolator when I lived at home (longer ago than I care to remember).

Yeah, bang on. It looks something like this alright.....

prestige_42631_percolator.jpg
    Keep an eye on adverts.ie or ebay for a grinder. If you come across one at a decent price we'll take a look at it and see if it's worth it.

Nice one. Cheers.
    Let us know how you get on with the moka pot too.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You don't like espresso, you probably won't like moka coffee.

Get a whirly blade grinder. (€25)
    Get a pour over drip filter. (€25)
    Get the freshest coffee beans you can get your hands on.

Watch these....

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    You don't like espresso, you probably won't like moka coffee.

Get a whirly blade grinder. (€25)
    Get a pour over drip filter. (€25)
    Get the freshest coffee beans you can get your hands on.

Watch these....

Great viewing!

Hmmm. Would the whirly blade suit a cafetiere RE*AC*TOR?

• Advertisement

Great viewing!

Hmmm. Would the whirly blade suit a cafetiere RE*AC*TOR?
    What do you mean by cafetiere?
    Press pot? Then no. The filter leaves too much through.

Kitchen Complements sell reusable gold filter for pour-over drip filters.
    Its cheap and effective. And as the filter is reasonably fine the irregularity of a whirly blade is ok.

This kind of thing:

p125.jpg

Yeah, a french press. Grand so, I'll keep an eye out for a pour-over drip filter. Thanks.

Great vids reactor. Seriously enhanced the coffee I got from my 2 cup french press over the weekend. Think I will take your advice and invest in a drip filter + grinder. Cheers.

Glad to help.

Let me know where you get your drip filter & grinder from Khannie. I had a look through the stickies yesterday and couldn't find much from the online resources.

You may have better luck.

I'm going to try that place in Georges arcade that's listed in the stickies on Thursday (pay day :)). I'll let you know how I get on, no worries.

Thanks for that. M&D I assume. I'll drop them a mail and ask them if they have them in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If it's a cheap filter system you're after, check Argos they might be cheaper
    than M&D or the coffee shops.

Argos have an electric coffee maker for €25; catalog number 4223876.
    It'll do the same job as the filter pot pictured above but will save you
    having to boil a kettle.

Just don't leave the coffee stewing on the hot-plate once brewed.

I know there's not much control needed but I was never keen on these type of coffee machines.

I think I'd prefer an aul manual pour-over effort. Am I being short-sighted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Haven't used them in some years myself, but had them in an office
    a few jobs back and they did the job ok. Didn't have to worry about
    boiling the water and scalding the coffee grounds. Only problem I've had
    with them is people leaving pots of coffee on the hot-plate for hours.

• Advertisement

That looks pretty decent actually given the cost gran hermano, cheers. Permanent filter = nice! I'll have a squizz in this M&D place too, see what they have.

edit: I must admit, the notion of the pour-over jobbie has me thinking that I'll get a better brew, but I've no idea why. Possibly because it's what they guy in the video that reactor linked is using.

Most of the automatic drip filter machines have two problems - a brew temperature that's too low and an inadequate shower (not sufficiently wetting all the grounds).
    With a little bit of care you can probably achieve the brew on a manual pour over that would cost a couple of hundred on an automatic.
    Plus those keep warm bases can be tempremental.

Well....I suppose that's that then. I'll see what M&D have. There's a speciality tea place on my way to work (I walk through temple bar) that sells coffee gear too. I think it's called "The joy of cha" or something like that. May pop into them on the way to work if they're open.

if you can get down to Kitchen Complements they have manual pour-over stuff.

map05.png

Just got your post now reactor. It's probably a bit too far from where I work to get there and back in a lunch hour but if they're open later I may pop in after work.

Anyway...Got a bodum pour over jobbie (without packaging) for 30 euro (reduced from 35 because of lack of packaging) in M&D. They didn't have any grinders in today (said they should have some tomorrow) so I got the guy to grind me some coffee instead. Just about to brew some up. I will just be using unfiltered tap water as I'm in work, but I'm really looking forward to it.

make sure you allow the water to cool off boiling.
    otherwise that bodum jobbie should do the trick nicely

I let the water cool before boiling (remembered from your video), but either put in too much water, or not enough coffee (depending on your perspective :)). I didn't have a scoop with me so was estimating both water and coffee. In short, it was weak but tasty. I expect the next brew to be much better.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtouseapourover

another useful guide - with quantities

Hmmmm. I followed that guide. Stirred the slurry and I got lots of crap in my coffee. Wont be doing that again. Nearly got the quantities right. I suppose it's a learning process (that's made harder by not having a scoop in work...should be much easier at home).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm fascinated by this thread! I normally use a french press, would changing over to a manual pour over thing make a big difference? In what way?

Advertisement