Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In search of the best Coffee experience 100 euro will buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well.....Today I got it right. I made a nice smooth mug of coffee with the drip filter. My wife was not impressed (at all). I'm not sure that the grind is right as there was a bit of sludge at the bottom of my mug.

I've tried the same coffee from our percolator (right this minute) and it's also very nice, but not /as/ nice as from the drip filter.

I'll be trying our 2 cup french press later on and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

A certain amount of sludge in unavoidable. Grinding less fine or using a paper filter might help.

It was the guy in M&D that did the grind for me (specifically for the dripper). I may give the paper filters a lash too. No harm in trying I suppose.

Well.....Today I got the best cup of home made coffee I've ever had. :eek:

Used the drip filter again. Got the blend of coffee and water right. Stirred the slurry very gently (no crap on top this time....I actually don't mind the stuff at the bottom at all). My wife loved it too.

Overall: 8.5 / 10.

Definitely sticking with the drip filter for now. Hoping to enhance the experience with my own grinder. I'll report back later v's the french press, but I can't see it being any better than what I had with my breakfast this morning tbh.

Thanks for all the help ladies and gents.

Another update: Tried the same coffee in the french press.

My score: 7 / 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    You don't like espresso, you probably won't like moka coffee.

Get a whirly blade grinder. (€25)
    Get a pour over drip filter. (€25)
    Get the freshest coffee beans you can get your hands on.

Watch these....

thanks for those vids Khannie, learnt a lot about coffee and brewing there. His generalization about the flavours of coffee from different regions was actually pretty spot on. I had some Sumatran Coffee this morning and the best way to describe it would be Funky (and not in the bad way, lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Great vids re*ac*or

Just thought I'd report back on this after using the kit for a while.....

I've found the drip filter to be good, but my wife's not lovin' it. She finds the coffee too strong / generally not to her taste. Personally I think it's great. I had some trouble getting a consistent brew at the start, but got the hang of it.

Bought a cheapy blade grinder off ebay and have to say that this has really been a winner. Well worth the money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Khannie wrote: »
    I've found the drip filter to be good, but my wife's not lovin' it. She finds the coffee too strong / generally not to her taste. Personally I think it's great. I had some trouble getting a consistent brew at the start, but got the hang of it.

Have you tried varying the quantity of coffee used? Sometimes more coffee in the filter can lead to a milder tasting coffee.

There is a major difference in taste between a filter/brewed coffee and an americano type drink. If you have any money left over from your original budget you could try a moka pot or an aeropress. Brew, then add hotwater to taste. This will produce an americano type drink, which it sounds like your wife may prefer.

I got my aeropress in from hasbean.co.uk for €40 includining P&P. Well worth it.

Considered an aeropress alright. My wife said recently that she has concerns over the amount of press space the coffee gadgets are taking up. :D

I've varied the amount of coffee I'm using in the drip filter alright, but generally upwards. I use one of the bodum scoops per cup as recommended (I'll use 5 scoops of beans for 2 mugs as this grinds down to around 4 ground scoops). I might try adding more, but I'm using quite a bit as it is.

Best home made mug so far has come from using the 2 cup cafetierre with freshly ground kilimanjaro blend from M&D's. Absolutely savagely tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Khannie wrote: »
    Considered an aeropress alright. My wife said recently that she has concerns over the amount of press space the coffee gadgets are taking up. :D

Now where have I heard that before...I'm getting that deja-vu feeling...
    You can always free up some space by throwing the teapots in the bin.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

:D The missus and me are having a laugh at this now. It's not just me so.

I've been trying to point out that we never really use the toaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

My better half was getting to this stage rapidly. Then I went and got some decent beans and worked on the milk frothing side of things. She came around when I started making her cappuccinos and steamed-milk hot chocolate :D

She views it as one of my hobbies and is happy enough to let me continue. I have already mentally prepared her for a grinder upgrade and possibly, though farther down the line, a roaster.

Advertisement