Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where'd you buy your bike?

• 21-01-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Just about to invest in a bike.

Two bike shops that are often mentioned are Wheelworx and CycleSuperstore. However I'm sure that there are other's but I'm just not aware of them.

Did most people get their bikes are the two shops mentioned above? Or at different shops? Or online?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

there are quite a few bike links in
    boards.ie > sports > cycling

I bought my first bike from cyclingsuperstore, second in the UK and third in USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fatboyslim

I got my first one in Cycle superstore and got my second bike in a small bike shop in Cabinteely called bike rack. Have to say I found both of them really good in terms of after sales service. I just don't live near Tallaght so bringing the bike out there for service became a problem, ended up going to the bike rack a lot.

The first bike I got was a lappiere or something, was ok but I prefer my current bike which is a specilaised Allez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I was really looking for a racer on a budget, and got this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14991
    with helmet, etc. for about 420euro.
    I'm sure it'll be pooh-poohed by the professionals here, but as a bike to do my first triathlon with, I'm happy with it.

paulsknn, It's madness to spend a fortune on a first bike when you've no idea if you'l be riding in a years time so I think you did exactly the right thing.

I have a bells and whistles road bike (looking into a TT if I can ever afford it) but in the meantime I'm trying to get the cheapest, carpiest bike with a road geomerty for cycling to and from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

there are quite a few bike links in
    boards.ie > sports > cycling

I bought my first bike from cyclingsuperstore, second in the UK and third in USA.

Got some replies on the cycling forum... Thanks!

Current favourite is the Giant SCR 3

Guess I'll know when I get to see it/try it at the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Hi Hardy,

Looking to get myself an entry-level bike for my first season attempting triathlon and have kinda set my sights on the SCR3 also - or possibly the SCR 2 depending on how lenient the gf is with "my" budget!

Did you get to try it out at the weekend? Any thoughts/recommendations?

Got the SCR 3 at the weekend. Was really pleased with it. It's very light and a lovely bike. Frame is very good as well and a nice fit.

Got it in Wheelworx in the end.

Was absolutely thrilled with the bike. Didn't realise how much fun it would be going bike shopping. Also got the clip in pedals and some great shoes. Shoes in wheelworx were far nicer and far more comfortable than the ones in cycle superstore. Thought that the service in wheelworx was much better than cycle superstore. Rob in wheelworx was able to tell me far more information about the bike and how it worked and why it would suit me. Even had to ask how to use the gears (blush), now realise I really don't have a clue about bikes!

congrats on the new bike.

Congrats on the new bike too :)

Did you go for the tri starter pack shown on the wheelworx website (which is what I'm considering) or did you just opt for the essentials - bike, pedals, helmet, shoes etc.? I cant decide if the extra few bob for the strarter pack is worth the investment.

Thanks guys I'm thrilled! :D

Both wheelworx and cycle superstore offer tri starter packs. To be honest I didn't think that they were brilliant.

I've a helmet already but I did buy clip in pedals and good shoes. I'm going to get a wet suit next month. From looking at the prices, irish fit seems to be the most competitive.

I already have really good runners so think that I should be more or less set then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

Make sure you try on the wetsuits first. It's not just the size some brands fit different to others.

2XU are the best ones I've tried on but if you're tight on the budget the Aquasphere ones are ok!

Zoot didn't feel great on me.

Got myself a nice shiny SCR2 on Saturday from Rob in Wheelworx. Praying for a nice day today but it turned out pretty fould from early on so had to leave the bike inside and head out on a run - can't wait to get it out on the road!

Advertisement