Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where's the best place to buy a used car in limerick

Options
  • 21-01-2008 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

lads where in limerick is the best place to buy a used car i,m looking for a good deal and a good car like a vw golf your help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

All the dealers in Limerick are rip off merchants. Soooo arrogant.

The only dealer I could put up with was Hinchy's out near Hospital. Bit of a drive but at least the talk to you like you're human.

Probably a few more "out of town" dealers worth visiting but stay clear of the City dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would second the comment about Hinchy's, and would say that the Ennis Road Motors, specifically Eamonn, are also very good in terms of having to deal with less BS.

The Audi/VW dealer in Tipp town has a good rep also, think that is Pierce Motors. The VW dealer in Ennis is also one that comes with a good rep in terms of price, lack of BS, and their after sales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Even places like Frank Hogan's have pleasant salesmen these days. Depends on who you deal with. Every sales rep will have given a different trade price on a given car, so if you see one you want, there's no harm in asking how much and then haggling.

+1 on Pierses, though there's a woman there who's supposed to be a right snob.

Depends on what you're looking for really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I bought a Golf last August and to be honest, i think you should stay clear of city dealers. Try Western Garages on the Quin Rd in Ennis, thats where i got mine for relatively cheap compared to what i was being quoted in Limerick. The guy i bought it off actually seemed interested and had no problem talking to me about the cars they had in my budget.

I thought the Pierse place in Tipp Town was very expensive, even compared to the dealerships in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

cheers lads for the advice coz i,m looking for relatively new used car like 04 onwards and love golfs so thats my preferance am willing to spend 16000

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just have a spin around town whenever you have a free afternoon/day. You'll see some real rip-off merchants. I did anyway.

Melion wrote: »
    Just have a spin around town whenever you have a free afternoon/day. You'll see some real rip-off merchants. I did anyway.
    Depends, different policies I suppose. Many garages will have a high list price, only a fool would pay it though, but then again a fool and his money are easy parted.

Other places will have a more reasonable list price but will not budge at all on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

cheers lads for the advice coz i,m looking for relatively new used car like 04 onwards and love golfs so thats my preferance am willing to spend 16000

Don't know what they are like but you should also try Newcastle West Autos, they are a main VW dealer. Heres their site:
    http://www.ncwautos.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would second the comment about Hinchy's, and would say that the Ennis Road Motors, specifically Eamonn, are also very good in terms of having to deal with less BS.

Never dealt with Hinchy's but could certainly second Eamonn @ ERM, if you ring him in advance get him to let you know when is best to meet him then you'll get a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the buy and sell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kess73 wrote: »

The Audi/VW dealer in Tipp town has a good rep also, think that is Pierce Motors. The VW dealer in Ennis is also one that comes with a good rep in terms of price, lack of BS, and their after sales service.

I'd avoid Pierce motors like the plague. I'd sooner buy a car off Boyce from Fools & Horses. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Family have had 3 cars from Pierse highly recommended.

Defo steer clear of Town and Frank Hogans especially ignorant owner and staff to match.

Have found garages in Ennis and Tipp to be excellent

sioda wrote: »
    Defo steer clear of Town and Frank Hogans especially ignorant owner and staff to match.

I've heard and found a lot of that too. A lot of anecdotal evidence when I used to work in a garage. Customers would just plain walk out of Hogans at times.

Though if you're buying a new Merc every 2 years you'll be very well received and dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

RonMexico wrote: »
    I'd avoid Pierce motors like the plague. I'd sooner buy a car off Boyce from Fools & Horses. Trust me.

I just had to say I 100% agree on this one - went to Pierce a few weeks, the car I was looking at had clocked up an additional 13,000 kms since it was advertised... The sales man acted like this was a normal thing, brushed it off when I showed concern. He acted like I didn't know what I was talking about - the car itself wasn't in the best of health we could say- no NCT either. Was told I would get an NCT "guarantee" that it would pass after I bought it, but that was about it.

When we went to talk price - he wouldnt budge at all even though the car was definitely not what they had described on the net. WAY OVERPRICED. Just staggered that they have a garage filled with cars and didn't seem to want to negotiate at all. The car was going for €12,500 - the best he'd come down, despite the fact that the car had obviously been driven like c**p while waiting to be sold, was €11,750. End of. And he made it sound like he was doing me a favour. And I was some stupid prat. He then had no interest at all - I asked to see others in the same range - he said he had nothing and walked away to some other poor mug he thought he might get a sale from.

I did a bit more research, went to the VW dealer in Castleisland - Divanes - and have just bought the same VW with LESS mileage, NCT'd until next year and in great shape with new tyres for €9,500. He was more than willing to do a deal - went from €10,500 to €9,500 and I know from doing a lot of research on this car, that its a good deal.

Just FYI. Its amazing how a cocky salesman makes you not want to give the garage a penny. Just for the record for others too - have dealt with Frank Hogans before too and had no problems - found them easy to deal with. Also would recommmend Kilroy's Peugeot - they feel less "salesy" when you're talking to them.

For the record, don't know why there aren't more female car sales rep - think it would help improve the overall "Delboy" cowboy face of the car sales industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

sioda wrote: »
    Family have had 3 cars from Pierse highly recommended.

Have found garages in Ennis and Tipp to be excellent

oh ya years ago one of the sons told me " people like you cant afford our

cars" i was fairly young at the time .i found darren at ennis rd motors very good to deal with. other than that stay away from limerick and try ennis you will get better deals there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Melion wrote: »
    I bought a Golf last August and to be honest, i think you should stay clear of city dealers. Try Western Garages on the Quin Rd in Ennis, thats where i got mine for relatively cheap compared to what i was being quoted in Limerick. The guy i bought it off actually seemed interested and had no problem talking to me about the cars they had in my budget.

+ 1
    for Western & if you want to venture a little further afield, try Slattery's in Puckane north Tipp. They have best after sales service I have ever encountered.

I would not buy an oil filter let alone a car from a main dealer in Limerick, heard to many horror stories, especially about 1 garage on the Ennis road who lost 2 franchises recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Try a fella called John Cluhane, he is out the country, askeaton direction...he is a genuine guy with a good selection
    http://www.carzone.ie/car-dealers/Limerick/John-Culhane-Car-Sales

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

go out of Limerick for cars, The most arrogant and unhelpful people to be found anwhere on the planet.Found the guy(John O'Keeffe) at the horse & jockey very decent to deal with. http://www.horseandjockeycarsales.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

My brother Patrick hanley works in Pat Tierneys Motors the new Nissan dealership located in the Delta retail park just off the main tipp road...might be biased at saying but he is very honest and will always try and find the rite car for the right person and sure he will do u a deal if u tell him i sent u there.

regards,
    steven

Advertisement