Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taboos

• 21-01-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Are there any these days?

What got me thinking about this (look away now boardsies of a delicate nature) was recent pics I saw of Britney Spears. She had been pictured buying a pregnancy test but the paps knew she wasnt pregnant. How? Cos they had pics of her with a blood stained sanitary towel sticking out of her tights. Which they printed. I cant help thinking that not so long ago you just wouldnt see something like this on mainstream websites. Even the adverts have blue liquid for fear of offending. I dont find periods offensive before anyone jumps on this, but I couldnt believe that level of invasion of personal space.

It used to be that child abuse wasnt discussed, the same with incest, and going back even further (although not that long ago really) homosexuality wasnt either (confirmed bachelor etc)

So are there any taboos left? Should there ever be anything thats just too sensitive to talk about?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's only one way all of this can end - in privacy laws. That's not necessarily a good thing for democracy. Or we could legalise paparazzi killing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Fight Club...
    You do not talk about Fight Club.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

getting serious here - Rape should be talked about more
    as it not punishable enough by law but yet a scruge of society which should be tackled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Peared wrote: »
    So are there any taboos left? Should there ever be anything thats just too sensitive to talk about?
    Oh god yes, can't really talk about it in a public forum like this and that's not an invitation to pm me about it either. It's disgusting and I'll have no part in it's discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

yore ma,

that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Once it doesn't envolve a discussion of bodily fluids at the dinner table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

cance wrote: »
    yore ma,

that is all.

¬_¬
    Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Peared wrote:
    Cos they had pics of her with a blood stained sanitary towel sticking out of her tights.
    Maybe it was for her sister (the pregnancy test, not the sanitary towel, ewww that would be sick, you sick sick man what were you thinking).
    Peared wrote:
    Should there ever be anything thats just too sensitive to talk about?
    Serious answer: no* .

*edit: especially between you and your family

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Also add talking about farts, poo or vomit at the table too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Necrophilia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

poppycock my friends love it when I regal them with my stories of bodily fluids and the various parts of my body they happened to come out of (and sometimes about the bodies I was putting some of them into).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Don't Mention the War!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Overheal wrote: »
    Necrophilia.

There was that movie.. name escapes me now. The girl would break into a morgue and go at it.

Advertisement