Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen Chipped - Options?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Just on the way home this evening a stone flew from a truck and hit my windscreen.
    Only the outer layer of windscreen is chipped, smaller than a €2 coin.

Anyone know what my options are, repair, replace etc?
    Also what price range am i looking at? (car is Golf V5).

Also any recommendations for garages, repair centres *greatly* appreciated.
    I'm in the Harolds Cross area in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

TechnoFreek, Have you got windscreen cover on your insurance? If so it will be fixed or replaced without affecting your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I just checked my policy and my windscreen is not covered.:(

Could I ring Quinn Direct and ask for cover and then claim at a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

A bit cheeky dont you think? I doubt they will add cover mid way through your policy. But give it a go anyway and tell us all what happens.
    Other options are replacement, or if its not cracked through I think you can get it repaired by use of silicon. Im not familiar with this process but im sure that there is someone here who can help.
    BTW I got a replacement windscreen for a Laguna three years ago and it cost €350 from autoglass. Just to give you a ball park figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Whens your cover up? I'd add windscreen cover to your next years policy and stick with the chip until then. It's only an extra 30euro.

Theres windscreen repair kits on the net not sure whether it'll work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They wont add cover mid-year, only at renewal. You're better off paying it yourself. In my experience (02 Passat) it'll set you back about 200 notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the advice guys, my policy is up in two months so its not that long to wait. the windscreen will last for sure, the chipped area is very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Absolutely wait... Insurance is all a one way street and when lots of folks have small accidents they cover the cost themselves to keep policy cost down...
    Increase your cover for a few quid and claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I remember getting a chip and asking the insurance company if it was covered. No said the girl at the front desk, but she helpfully suggested I add it at renewal time and then claim.

At renewal I had forgotted about the chip, and it's still there many years later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think that might be fraudulant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

I think that might be fraudulant.

And who knows who reads these forums...

I had a chip on my screen and i just used superglue to fill the hole, but it was on the passenger side :D

Quite a large chip too and no cracks appeared...

• Advertisement
Advertisement