Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Graphics Card

Options
  • 21-01-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of upgrading my graphics card recently, but I'm not sure will be current setup bottleneck its performance or will I be able to install a newer PCI-Express 2.0 card into it.

My setup is:

Asus A8N-E mobo
    AMD 3200+ 2.0GHz (socket 939)
    2GB Ram
    OCZ 600W PSU
    X800GT GFX card

The card I was looking at was the HD3850, which is PCI-Express 2.0, whereas my mobo is only PCI-Express 1.0, so will it support this card? From other forums I gather that the card supports PCI-Express 1.0a, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer with respect to PCI-Express 1.0.
    Does anyone know for definite?
    Also will my system bottleneck this cards performance? If so, would upgrading the CPU to a 3800+ X2 improve matters?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

farna_boy wrote: »
    I've been thinking of upgrading my graphics card recently, but I'm not sure will be current setup bottleneck its performance or will I be able to install a newer PCI-Express 2.0 card into it.

My setup is:

Asus A8N-E mobo
    AMD 3200+ 2.0GHz (socket 939)
    2GB Ram
    OCZ 600W PSU
    X800GT GFX card

The card I was looking at was the HD3850, which is PCI-Express 2.0, whereas my mobo is only PCI-Express 1.0, so will it support this card? From other forums I gather that the card supports PCI-Express 1.0a, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer with respect to PCI-Express 1.0.
    Does anyone know for definite?
    Also will my system bottleneck this cards performance? If so, would upgrading the CPU to a 3800+ X2 improve matters?

Any help appreciated!

PCI express 2.0 is backwards compatible with pci express 1.0.

I.e the card will work for you.

I would def get a dual core cpu, that and a new card will tie you over nicely for the next year or so.
    (most new games are dual core optimised at this stage)

Advertisement