Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5.1 channel analog output

• 21-01-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys, looking for a nice dvd player/recorder at the moment but not having any luck finding one with 5.1 channel analog output (6 outputs for speakers), any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    BD-P1200_2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

pioneer dv600 dvd player does
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/dvd/dvdplayer/dv600.htm

i cant think of any recorder that has it... its becoming a thing of the past to be honest

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

5.1 channel analog output (6 outputs for speakers),

Most standalone DVD players / recorders do not have outputs for speakers , these come in surround packages only , where the DVD is actually combined with an amp.

The 5.1 analog outs on standalone players are for high quality audio out and are line level , they will not drive speakers!
    They do output better quality than the optical where the content is actually recorded in higher fidelity , the optical 5.1 is always 16bit/44khz quality , whereas these outputs can handle 24bit/96khz. If you have a player that can do SACD or DVD audio , or if you have high quality content such as Some music DVD's then these are the outputs to use , but they must be fed in to an amp with the same capability.

They are fast becoming superceded by HDMI , so wont be around much longer I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

mathias wrote: »

The 5.1 analog outs on standalone players are for high quality audio out and are line level , they will not drive speakers!
    They do output better quality than the optical where the content is actually recorded in higher fidelity , the optical 5.1 is always 16bit/44khz quality , whereas these outputs can handle 24bit/96khz. If you have a player that can do SACD or DVD audio , or if you have high quality content such as Some music DVD's then these are the outputs to use , but they must be fed in to an amp with the same capability.

The 5.1 analog(ue) outputs on standalone players do not carry digital data:)
    As you say, they are for high quality 5.1 audio to a suitably equipped amplifier. This audio comes from SACD or DVD-Audio dics and is converted in the player (not the amplifier/receiver) by Digital to Analogue Converters (DACs) from 96KHz or 192Khz / 24 bit digital data to a line-level analogue signal. The reason they are fed via analogue is that the recording industry did not want people making digital copies of the music tracks. Some of the Denon high-end players will pass 96/192 KHz 24-bit digital data direct to Denon high-end amplifiers via their proprietary link system, though.

The 5.1 analog(ue) outputs on standalone players do not carry digital data

Never meant to imply they did , they are much higher quality than the optical for certain content , thats the point.

Wasn't really having a go:D I have a SACD/DVD-Audio player for about two years now and some of the discs available are just stunning in terms of sound quality and surround sound presentation. It's a right pain, though, to have to connect six high-quality phono leads between the player and my amp, instead of having the option to transfer the 96KHz / 24 bit signals through the single digital coax, which my amp can process. It's useful to have the option of having the amp decode the signals (potentially in higher quality), instead of the spaghetti of cables and potential for signal degradation in the current setup.

• Advertisement

It's a right pain, though, to have to connect six high-quality phono leads between the player and my amp

Yeah , I agree , and one of the main reasons I bought a new Onkyo 605 , I believe its the first amp with a non proprietary full bandwidth digital connection.

Yeah , I agree , and one of the main reasons I bought a new Onkyo 605 , I believe its the first amp with a non proprietary full bandwidth digital connection.
    I'd be interested in knowing if you are aware of a compatible DVD/CD player which will pass the 5.1 signals from an SACD or DVD-Audio over the digital connection? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my Denon AVR-1906. It's a good quality amp and great for music, too, but has no HDMI capability or upscaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Iano Ludz

Most standalone DVD players / recorders do not have outputs for speakers , these come in surround packages only , where the DVD is actually combined with an amp.

They are fast becoming superceded by HDMI , so wont be around much longer I would imagine.

My old dvd player was part of a surround package, almost 10 years old...i love the sound from the speakers so i want to replace the player and keep the speakers if possible. I've been searching through an endless list of players and recorders and the one that seems to stand out is the Samsung BD-P1400. Anyone have any experience with this machine?

Advertisement