Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air corp reserves?

• 21-01-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hey,

two questions,

1)does the air corps have a reserve unit??

2) also if they son't i would be very interested in joining the navy reserves. I've heard that the navy and army reserves have training once a week as wll as summer training, i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to just do the summer training? I am from waterford and would probably do the training here but i'm in dublin during the year at college so i wouldn't be able to attend the weekly training.

I'd appreciate any help,
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

im pretty sure the answer to number 1 is no but im not an expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

hey,

two questions,

1)does the air corps have a reserve unit??

2) also if they son't i would be very interested in joining the navy reserves. I've heard that the navy and army reserves have training once a week as wll as summer training, i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to just do the summer training? I am from waterford and would probably do the training here but i'm in dublin during the year at college so i wouldn't be able to attend the weekly training.

I'd appreciate any help,
    thanks

1) No sorry, you could join Air Defence tho
    2) Ideally you should do some training during the year especially with the new grat pay requirements it seems they are tightening up on "camp rats" (people who don't train during the year but turn up for camp with the incentive of getting paid)

You can join the Naval Service Reserve in Waterford and you can train in Dublin during the year no hassle, you will still be going on camp with the waterford lads but it is grand to fulfill your weekly parades in Dub no bother, just inform your unit in Waterford what the story with college is etc.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

If you can't attend weekly parades then there is no point joining, period.

Bam Bam wrote: »
    If you can't attend weekly parades then there is no point joining, period.

He'd be able to attend them in Dublin during the year as opposed to Waterford due to his college commitments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

segaBOY wrote: »
    He'd be able to attend them in Dublin during the year as opposed to Waterford due to his college commitments

Or he could join the Dublin unit, seeing as he'd be there for most of the year... There's always such a thing as a transfer after college. Besides, training year is roughly the same as college year, bit longer but not by much so it'd make far more sense for him to join the Dublin unit, parade with them and go on camp with them, instead of being on camp with a load of strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lostinthought

Thanks guys, i must check it out. I know a lot of people in the RDF and they just do the summer and easter camps so i figured i'd try and find out if that was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

One of the 62nd's companies is based in Baldonnel. Not quite the Air Corps but at least you will be at the airfield.

But I will say that just doing the camps is taking the p. One of the things that gives the RDF a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Don't worry with the new organisation "One camp wonders" will soon be a thing of the past.

Bam Bam wrote: »
    Don't worry with the new organisation "One camp wonders" will soon be a thing of the past.

No bloody harm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cp251 wrote: »
    One of the 62nd's companies is based in Baldonnel. Not quite the Air Corps but at least you will be at the airfield.

But I will say that just doing the camps is taking the p. One of the things that gives the RDF a bad name.

They do alot of work with the AC that others don't so its more then just close to the airfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement