Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More of Gormless' Green's Financial Lunacy?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just listening to the Radio (Drivetime on RTE 1) and they're saying that plans are afoot within Government so that for every plane trip undertaken by politicians and civil servants they will also provide funds to third world environmental projects to carbon offset that travel.

So now the taxpayer has to pay twice. We have to pay for our politicians' and civil servants flights and then we have to pay an equal again in carbon offset funding.

Who do we have to thank for this? Gormley and his merry men. Tossers.

It p1sses me off.

I hope it puts an end to the embarrassing spectacle of every cabinet minister running out of the country for Paddy's day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I take it you aren't a green party supporter then? Or a supporter of green/friends of the earth politics?
    Because all they are doing or proposing is stuff akin to what they have always proposed.

Whilst I kind of agree with you on the ridiculousness of some of these things,I can't fault the greens for being up front at all times for what they stand for in terms of things enviromental.
    You've always the option of not voting for them but you can't shoot those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

but you can't shoot those who do.
    Really? OK. (disappointedly puts away rifle...)

I'm cheesed off that every proposal so far seems to be hitting us in the pocket.

This 'Grand Gesture' seems to be just another way of wasting taxpayers money. I know their pious objective is to limit travel - but that ain't gonna happen. Can you imagine our politicians giving up their junkets?
    What this means (if what I heard on the radio is true) is that the taxpayer now has to pay double for every politician's and civil servant's flights.
    Grrr.

Down with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

pity carbon offsetting is a capitalist scam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What good is an environmental initiative in the developing world? We're the ones producing the most pollution, we should be reducing carbon emissions here.

I don't think they should let the government use airplanes. Give them a balloon and they can transport themselves anywhere in the world under the power of their own hot air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don't think they should let the government use airplanes. Give them a balloon and they can transport themselves anywhere in the world under the power of their own hot air.
    They'd get further and higher in those contraptions if they used their farts instead.Methane don't you know or would that be a contradiction, methane being a global warming gas and all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

Its a small price to pay for anothr four years of FF in government... Can you imagine a return of the mid-80's spendathon of money we never had...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭zippy 99

True.

And I dont know why people are complaining about the tax payer having to carbon offset for bertie, they should be saying that carbon offsetting is a scam in the first place.

Give it a year and we'll not only have to pay for berties offseting, but also our own carbon offsetting for all flights, then it will move to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Could you elaborate on that a bit?
    My understanding was that emissions trading actually works pretty well: for example, in America the EPA implemented a sulphur emissions trading scheme which cut sulphur emissions in two. Acid rain was a big concern in the 90's, and you almost never hear about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Akrasia wrote: »
    What good is an environmental initiative in the developing world? We're the ones producing the most pollution, we should be reducing carbon emissions here.
    Fastest growing polluters are all 3rd world, and in many of those countries, the technologies used are extremely inefficient, and pollute alot compared to ours. As 3rd world countries begin to catch up (many of them would have alrady if not for AIDs), and develop, they are using more and more resources, so it makes sense to make sure that they start out with reasonably efficient machinery, in order to avoid having to upgrade later.
    Also, for tree planting and the like, land tends to have a lower premium in those countries, so money will go further.

Oh, and, we are also trying to reduce emissions here. It's not like we are bblaming the third world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

I think for a country heading for a "downturn" as they keep telling us, it is very foolish to start inventing more things for us to pay for, should we not concentrate on the necessities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

patto_chan wrote: »
    Just listening to the Radio (Drivetime on RTE 1) and they're saying that plans are afoot within Government so that for every plane trip undertaken by politicians and civil servants they will also provide funds to third world environmental projects to carbon offset that travel.

So now the taxpayer has to pay twice. We have to pay for our politicians' and civil servants flights and then we have to pay an equal again in carbon offset funding.

Who do we have to thank for this? Gormley and his merry men. Tossers.

It p1sses me off.

I hope it puts an end to the embarrassing spectacle of every cabinet minister running out of the country for Paddy's day.

I don't think the greens were in govt when we signed the Kyoto Protocol. 'Blame' that if you must but tbh if everyone had your attitude we'd destroy our planet even faster than we already are.

Advertisement