Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sins of a solar empire

Options
  • 21-01-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Anyone looking forward to this?

Epic space rts from the gus who made galactic civilizations

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Digging up an old thread here rather than creating a new one, played this and it was really enjoyable, quiet difficult at times especially in player vs player online play. I'm about to update with last few patches I missed apparently they have changed a lot of the gameplay and it has made the game much more balanced and even more enjoyable.

I'm wondering if anyone else is playing it regularly and can tell me if the new patches are have made it better or not and maybe get a few games going. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

This game is awesome, I played it non stop a few months ago. The patches make a bit of a difference since they change a few things unit and research wise but it does make it better. They tweak the AI a bit with each patch, the first patch or two seen the AI getting wise to player tactics used in multiplayer games. 1.1 beta test is supposed to be due out soon and should change a few things.

The biggest problem with the patches is additions and changes for modders, some great mods have had alot of trouble getting changed to work with each version but the developers are listening again and adding in things modders want for total conversions and other stuff, . The Distant Stars mod was quiet good but stopped development, not sure what mods are about now for the current patch.

If I had the time I'd be playing it with people online, it's an awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got this game back in January and I've only played the tutorials. This will go on my long list of strategy games that I have still to play but will probably never because I don't have the time these days.
    It joins such classics on my list as: company of heroes, civilization 4, supreme commander, world in conflict etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

Gets boring fast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

From the original trailers, i had thought this was going to be a Homeworld clone, which i would have absolutly loved, but its a bit to 'micro-management' for my liking. Might give it another go.
    It joins such classics on my list as: company of heroes, civilization 4, supreme commander, world in conflict etc.
    They are four of the best RTS games in the last few years...you really need to play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

There are three expansion packs coming out for this soon - Link. Would anyone recommend picking this up. I like RTS's (Rise of nations being my fav RTS ever (been out of the loop for a while :() but I am a bit apprehenisve as there's no campaign??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

There are three expansion packs coming out for this soon - Link. Would anyone recommend picking this up. I like RTS's (Rise of nations being my fav RTS ever (been out of the loop for a while :() but I am a bit apprehenisve as there's no campaign??

First - it's fantastic, get it, get it now.
    Second - it doesn't have a campaign it's more like Civ/SMAC in this regard. Get plonked down in the universe, start expanding, meet new and interesting races, murder them and take their shit.
    But it is all real time, my only gripe is managing my death-fleet can get a bit cumbersome as they can't really be organised into a formation easilly, and when you do they don't hold it between jumps.
    Still it's great, and provided they fixed the spam Long-range-missile-frigates-for-victory bug in the last patch, then it's even better

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Aye, it's a good game and as pointed out by his lordship, more akin to Civ than C&C.

I like that you can save a multiplayer game mid way - there's no way you'd manage to get through one in one sitting :)

Advertisement