Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car type suggestions

Options
  • 21-01-2008 7:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here as I've not even applied for my theory test but I just wanted to get an idea of what would suit me so if I come across something ideal I can snap it up whenever.

Basically I'm looking for a car to learn in but don't know what to look for at all. I wouldn't have very much money to spend (no definite amount but I wouldn't want to be going over €1k as it's bound to take a fair bit of a beating as I learn) and I'm over 6ft tall so would need something that would be comfortable to drive in.

I know the Yaris is supposed to be ideal for learning in but I wouldn't have the money for one of those - what I need is something that's not too hard to learn in, is spacious enough for a tall person to comfortably use and as I'm a male in my early 20's isn't too big of a car in terms of engine.

Any suggestions (not looking for people to sell me their car here - just suggestions for the best model to be looking out for)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Check out the likes of a punto. I was looking at a 1.3 the other day for 1k.

Also checking out a 1L golf for 1.2k. They were both grand movers and seemed like they would be ideal to learn in. Id probably side with a 1L in terms of insurance.

Im gonna suggest looking into getting a diesel too. I learned in a diesel and i thought it was better that way, with them being hard to conk out. Give it a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

There isn't that much choice really for 1k. There would be more choice in the 2-3k bracket. My first car is a 3k ford fiesta and handles beautifully. I'm 6ft tall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

My aul lad is 6'2 and he fit in the golf handily. Youll just have to look at older models to bring the price down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, come to think of it I have a rather tall relative who swears by puntos.

The only issue is finding one for a good price that's also NCT'd (or NCT-able without a major investment)!

All other suggestions welcome - am not planning on buying immediately but naturally would if I spotted a bargain (and am posting here so I know what I should be looking for)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

For that money you would be looking at something 96 or 97. I'm driving a 97 polo worth about 1K. I learned to drive and passed my test in it. It was grant, not muct power as its 1 litre and no power steering.
    NCT test is due in a few weeks, think I'll put her through and get another year out of her. No point in spending 10K for something which I have a good one of already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

For your test I'd recommend something with power steering. For a daily driver try get something with ABS. After that it's all down to whatever you find nice yourself and at that budget no one type of car is going to be better than another, just get it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.

Advertisement