Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf door won't close

• 21-01-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys have a Mk IV golf and the door won't close. Usually the catch on the door bits the metal hook on the car and won't open until you pull the door handle, however on mine the catch is broken it grabs the hook but doesn't stay locked you can just open it again. Any ideas what's up, spoke to a mechanic and he said it's the central locking box in the door, any idea where I'd get one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Breaker's yard or VAG dealer.

You can imagine which will be cheaper and more likely to be the correct part etc.

Feckin VAG dealers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

Any idea if it sounds like the problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Try asking on VAGdrivers.net - should get more info of the lads.

Tx, nice sigte didn't know bout it, should put me in touch with other suffering golf drivers. Had nothing but problems with this car, 1.4 16v, I know there's loads of issues with them. My car eats oil, bout a pint a week, mechanic told me no point fixing it cause valve and piston seals would be gone again in a year. Was driving out N7 towards Offaly Sat eveining and white smoke started spewing out the back of the car and the oil light was flashing. Pulled over and decided to try ease her back to dublin, got about a mile and she ran out of power. Waited two hours for a tow truck and when it came I tried to start the car to get it into a decent position so the truck could get her on and the battery was dead. So got out of the car and tried to push it and noticed the tyre was flat. Eventually got her home and parked up and when I closed the door it wouldn't shut. So whiped the battery out and put it on charge over night. Tried to start the misses' car and head off to offaly again and it wouldn't start, never had a problem with it before. Next morning went to take the wheel off to put on spare and one of my lock nuts was fooked, couldn't get it off no matter what I did. So, decided to get the car running first. I just changed the oil and stuck the battery back in and she started and sputtered a bit and then she was purring as good as she ever had. So this morning had to drive the car on it's rim around to a tyre place around the cornor to try get the wheel off, they did thank god, just to find a 3 inch thick slash in the inner side wall of the tyre, 18" wheels, €100 euro new tyre. So now I've just the door to fix and I'm in good nick. Suppose I got off lightly seeing as the engine problem could have been much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

If you hold the handle open and close the door, is there a gap between the top of the door and the car line? It's common on Golfs/A3 that the doors 'droop' ! Usualy fixed by jacking up the door a bit to bring it back to line. Usualy MK4s though, shouldnt be happening to a MK5 yet!

• Advertisement

Nope no gap, you can see what happens buy using a srew driver to simulate the catch that is on the body of the car. The latch open fine to allow the screw driver in but then it should lock into place and not allow you to pull the screw driver back out until you pull the door handle, but it does. Passenger side door works fine. Weird thing to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Those VW door locks are just rubbish. It sounds like the mechanism is kaput. New door lock is probably the answer. And to add to your woes, the door locks are a ba$tard to fit unless you really know what you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

crosstownk wrote: »
    Those VW door locks are just rubbish. It sounds like the mechanism is kaput. New door lock is probably the answer. And to add to your woes, the door locks are a ba$tard to fit unless you really know what you're doing.

Agree there.I used to have a Mkiv golf and had to get the door lock replaced after 2 years.It took my mechanic the guts of 3 hours to repair it.Good job he was a pal of mine and not a main stealer!I think it's a common fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Did you have trouble with the rear washer yet.They usually give trouble leaking.Another one is rear bulbs constantly blowing!

Rear and front bulbs always going. Indicator switch has gone aswell and has needed to be replaced. lights and power outlet in boot just don't work, no idea whats wrong with them. Ping when opening door with lights still on works intermitantly. some doors don't close with central locking and it rotates randomly which door won't work. Fuel economy is absolutely terrible

• Advertisement
Advertisement