Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Drips when Fire is Lit

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

:DWe have added a 1 story extension at the back of our 2 story house . A new chimney rises from the extension roof , clings to the outside of the old house walls and then stands on its own so that it is the same hight as the old chimney. We have installed a wood burning stove with a straight 1.5m enamel flue inserted into the new chimney , the flue is topped with a metal "funnel" so that the flue fits snugly ( but not sealed) into the chimney liner .
    We noticed a few times that brown water drips down the chimney onto the stove after about 15 mins when the stove is first lit .
    We have not stuffed rock wool around the flue as we want to see that all is working well before we stuff it and put tiles above the stove . Fire and draft are very good.
    What causes this this water running down the inside of the chimney , condensation ? Is this something to do with a cold chimney , our old chimneys come down through the centre of the house ?
    pjq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Is the wood you are burning dry? Has it been seasoned for at least a year? The liquid could be creosote and it is probably due to the hot fumes condensing as they enter the cold chimney - see this thread explaining some difficulties I had and what I am doing about it. My job hasn't been completed yet, but I will post that thread when it is done.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205546&highlight=fireplace

Post a pic of the liquid coming from the chimney if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

more than likely its condensation due to the warm air cooling before it exits the flue.from what i understand if the liner is insulated the it gets to a certain temp and causes enough draw so that the air does not get enough time to cool before it exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Thanks Guys,
    You have helped a lot , I could not understand how I had a 15 min long shower which started 15 mins after fire was lit . I've now googled Chimney Condensation and get the picture . The liquid is probably creadote , looks like flat guiness and smells sooty. The wood we burn is a mix of '06 &'07 cutting.
    The builder advised me to insert flex liner but Stove Shop said it was a waste of time .
    Can the condensation also happen in relatively warm chimneys that go up through the house ? I ask as I have installed a smaller insert in the sitting room which sometimes smells sooty .
    PJQ

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Yeahs flat guinness is a good description and the sooty smell sounds right (for creosote). One thing to note is that a buildup of creosote can be worrying as it is flammable and may lead to chimney fires. Dont know what stove shop you were in but the theory behing flexiflue (double walled) as I understand it is that it keeps the gases warm until exhaust from the top of the chimney and condensation is not a problem at that stage. I would be inclined to get a second opinion check out http://miflues.ie/ they have a section for flue installers split by county http://miflues.ie/sweeps.php. HTH

Advertisement