Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Livigno on Saturday and have pretty much everything sorted except insurance. Wheres the best place to get it? My parents wont put me on their VHI because it's "too expensive" :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Also going to Livigno on Saturday! Cant wait :)

Try these guys

http://www.justcover.ie/

or

http://www.getcover.com/

AIB also do cover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Cheers for them.

Can't wait to go myself.

@bennyx_o

Check out the expected Snowfall for Sunday
    http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/Livigno_snow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I just bought insurance from AIB, for worldwide multi trip with winter sports it's 47 euro if you have your own private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

I've noticed several insurance packages have an "optional" winter sports supplement, is this included in the price? If not, would it cost much extra? All I want to be sure of is that if I break my leg, for example, would it be covered or do they point to the fineprint and say "tough!"?

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The "winter sports" add on that you'll be able to get with various insurance deals will be mostly for the fetching you off the mountain cost of any injury you may get. If you trip over whilst walking down the street and bust your leg then your regular health insurance will probably cover you, if you do that half way up the mountain though then there will be additional costs for them to drag you back down again which would not be covered by your regular insurance. What you'd still probably not be covered for though is things like off-piste though, although it should generally include loss of you skiing equipment which would not be coverd in a normal travel policy.

Had to use my insurance details for the first time this year.

Somethings I noticed were for a lot of polices they only seem to cover Hospital costs what they dont cover is Outpatient visits, which include your trip to the Clinic, XRays and Medicine. Some partially cover the costs and you just pay the excess which can be €80 - 150. It also took me 3 or 4 trips up and down to the Clinic to get all the costs signed off.

What everyone should have before they is the 24/7 Emergency Number for who ever covers you, your policy number, Expiry/Start date if applicable. Also the type of Cover you have Gold/Silver/Plat.

Have your details ready, when you do need them, you'll need them in a hurry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

just read your other posts. Stained ankle... Nasty. Did you have a bad fall in the park or something?

Yeah it was nothing life threatening, came off a jump badly twice in the early morning, I think was a case of trying too much too soon.

But I spent the rest of the day in the doctors trying to sort out my insurance, didnt get it sorted until late Friday, so it was a bit of a waste of my last days holidays

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When I was in that very same medical center last year I thought they managed to sort the insurance out very easily for me. It could of course have been due to my being there earlier in the week so they knew I wasn't going anywhere for a few days anyway. Were you "walking wounded" and make your own way to the clinic and if so was it through the VHI or your actual winter sports policy that you made the claim?

I walked in on my own from a taxi and made the claim against the Travel Companys Winter Insurance policy the group had taken out. It wasnt the Clinic really that the problem was with, they were as helpful as they could be and quite nice to deal with. The problem was with the TourOperator and the Insurance policy. They couldn't verify that I had the insurance and left us to deal with it ourselves, I had been with another person who broke their Coxyx and could barely sit down but they didnt help at all. They seemed to have "lost" our insurance policy. We never received it in the post and had to collect our flight tickets in the airport even though we booked and fully paided for the trip back in October...

Advertisement