Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest Accommodation for Car Owners?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Im a first year and have been living in Brookfield since Sept. Recently Ive become really peeved with the management of the complex and the lack of security, (my flatmate had her car stolen while security guard watched it on cctv.)

So, as a car owner myself, Im looking to move, maybe on campus or off I dont mind. What I want to know is how other car owners find securtiy arrangements where they are. Particularly on campus ie. Dromroe, Kilmurray, Courtyard apts etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Groody (its where im at this year) has loads of cameras and its gated. The gates close at 12pm and you need a remote to open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Sounds good. Whats the accom. like? Are bedrooms en suite? Are you on the college mini bus circuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Avoid living on-campus so. Security are absolutely rubbish...theres been hundreds of break in's and amazingly, they have seen/heard nothing suspicious. They just send out an old man to you that says "Jaysis, tis mindless, isn't it?".

They watched the car being stolen on cctv??? wtf????!?

Yes, my reaction exactly. I mean, fair enough it was three travellers and what could he do, but he could have rang my flatmate at the time. Anyway, on campus is a bad idea with a car then? Il put it another way, where would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Parkview is gated 24/7, but driving after a night out on the drink would be out of the question and you have to rely on the 308.

Edit: that reads wrong, what I meant was driving to college the morning after a night out on the drink would be out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

i havnt had any trouble in courtyard all year neither has any of my housemates.. the funest part is making sure you get a space all the time though..

Having taken a look at Parkview's website Im quite interested, anyone else have any feedback on that? Apparently theres a free shuttle to UL, is this reliable?

When i was living in college court, my car was in the drive way, housemates was on the side of the road right outside the house, and it was broken into and took the tray out of the boot with the speakers.... College Court is fine if you've the car in the driveway...

In fairness, whats the point in having security if he's like, ah yeah, just thought you'd like to know your cars being stolen...if he's not gonna do his job then whats the point of having them? Sounds like "watchers" more than "security".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

at the y2j in the likes of briarfield college court and milford grange the locals are only after tryin to rob cars that are a bit suped up... i know the grls living beside where i lived last year and the worst we had was a robbed license plate adn 2 of us having cars.. but one of them drive a old style honda civic hatchback and has been attempt at been robbed numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I lived in compostella in milford grange for 2 years. I had the rear wiper ripped off my car twice. Decided not to bother replacing it after the 2nd time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I lived in compostella in milford grange for 2 years. I had the rear wiper ripped off my car twice. Decided not to bother replacing it after the 2nd time :mad:

You never wiped your rear anyway! :D

The mindless damage can happen anywhere really and in Castletroy your not going to find 24hr monitored secure car parks. However you can minimise your chances of damage or car being stolen by living at the end of a cul de sac, having an alarm on your car, removing hubcaps before they are removed for you! ;) plus a car without hubcaps looks generally shabbier and hence less desirable....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

kodute wrote: »
    You never wiped your rear anyway! :D

The mindless damage can happen anywhere really and in Castletroy your not going to find 24hr monitored secure car parks. However you can minimise your chances of damage or car being stolen by living at the end of a cul de sac, having an alarm on your car, removing hubcaps before they are removed for you! ;) plus a car without hubcaps looks generally shabbier and hence less desirable....
    Ooh, burn! Possibly as a result of not wiping...

Forgot to mention kodute's car had its side indicators stolen. Another housemate's brother had the side of his car kicked in and dented too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you have a car, there's no need to limit yourself to Castletroy. OK I live with my mother :( but in Caherdavin I never hear of this kind of stuff happening on such a regular basis (OK cars have been stolen here but it's always old junk with feck all security), and we have proper driveways with gates and walls and stuff unlike College Court et al. Being near LIT means there's a good few houses getting rented out around this side of town too.

Then again there are the 30+ minute commutes to UL in the mornings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Sure ya cant beat College Court for safety :rolleyes:

Take these pictures as an indicator of the random **** that can happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ah the night of the fire......what was the poor girls name who I mentioned it to the next evening rather excitedly jumping up and down on the road repeating the words "car, fire, knackers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

rmacm wrote: »
    Ah the night of the fire......what was the poor girls name who I mentioned it to the next evening rather excitedly jumping up and down on the road repeating the words "car, fire, knackers".

ROF, yeah I remember you telling her.
    Her name was 'Amy' wasn't it?! She was quite the looker indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ah yes Amy....she was indeed quite the looker.

Nutty wrote: »
    at the y2j in the likes of briarfield college court and milford grange the locals are only after tryin to rob cars that are a bit suped up... i know the grls living beside where i lived last year and the worst we had was a robbed license plate adn 2 of us having cars.. but one of them drive a old style honda civic hatchback and has been attempt at been robbed numerous times

Theres a hell of a difference between robbing cars, and breaking into cars. They break into anyones if they see something even remotely decent... I know. :(

Advertisement