Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hooray for my local bike shop

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Darren_C

Hi folks,

Just wanted to give a big shout out to my local bike shop in Dundrum, Joe Daly's.

I was looking for new tubes and tyres over the weekend and was unfortunate enough to venture into Halfords, Carrickmines. The service was terrible, the selection poor and the prices expensive.

I called into Dalys on my way home from work this evening and found everything I needed and was pleasantly surprised when it was cheaper than Halfords.

Definitely pays to shop around and not assume that bigger = cheaper. Long may the little guys exist...
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Hi Joe or Joe's friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Hi Joe or Joe's friend.

Hey now.

Bigger does *not* equal cheaper. Halfords have a completely different target market, and a completely different pricing strategy, so they're not going to be the best option if you're looking for certain things. For some things, they're grand. For others, they're not. The business theories here are fairly basic.

Joe Daly's is an excellent bike shop, not just a shop actually, its a service.

I've had to stop in quite a few times to get things fixed, and more than once I've just asked to borrow tools to let me fix it myself, and there's been no problems.

As a result, they've earned a life customer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Jebus, these guys get a lot of good feedback here, shame i'm too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Joe's bike shop has been there for years and years....30+ maybe 40+ , more ???

It is very much part of the furniture in Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Jebus,

Thanks for the chuckle this morning cunnins4. That word brought a smile to my face on this crappy Tues morning. Homer: "But I don't believe in Jebus" :D

Back to the topic. Big shout out to Cliff in Cyclelogical. The nicest bloke in the bike retailing world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I also bought my bike in Joe Daly's - very happy with bike, service etc...

Buying a car seat for my daughter in Halford's was enough to ensure I never returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Back to the topic. Big shout out to Cliff in Cyclelogical. The nicest bloke the the bike retailing world.

Yeah he's a nice chap. If ever something isn't in stock, he always says, "we'll have it in on Tuesday"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I went into Joe Daly's looking for shoes recently, spent about 5 mins on my hands and knees trying to find the right pair in my size. One of the sales assistants was busy chatting to a woman about her husband & the other sales assistant spent 10 mins talking to someone about backpacks & completely ignored me.

Backpack man left without buying anything, the woman didn't buy anything & guess what, neither did I. I went up to Bike Rack & bought the shoes , decided while I was there to get new pedals, a pair of shorts... Thats over €200 euros and a customer that won't return...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Cliffs a bit of a legend, and he can be expensive, but if he knows ye, hell do stuff for cheaper, or repairs, if youve gotten a repair done somewhere else, and its shoddy, he goes mad, and fixes it for ye on the cheap. Cliff +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

cowan wrote: »
    Cliffs a bit of a legend, and he can be expensive, but if he knows ye, hell do stuff for cheaper

Sounds like a legend alright:rolleyes:. I'll make sure i drop in and get ripped off for a while, i'm sure it'll be worth it once he gets to know me:D

cowan wrote: »
    Cliffs a bit of a legend, and he can be expensive, but if he knows ye, hell do stuff for cheaper

That is a ridiculous statement. You should go there and get ripped off for a while, in order for him to treat you with respect & charge you a reasonable price...

CycleSuperStore have a loyalty system and good prices for all. Go there.

I have always found Cycological to be expensive and disinterested tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cliffs a legend +100000000000000000000000000000:D:D
    that guy is a hero!!
    hes always interested in stuff your doing to the bike and gives you money off, my mate gets more, but id say hes dropped over 10k in there....fair is fair!
    but there prices are compeditive enough.
    proper bike shop, they dont deal with **** bikes!!! not even servie them, funny being in the shop when cliff tells them where to go:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

kona wrote: »
    not even servie them, funny being in the shop when cliff tells them where to go:D:D

I worked them one summer, the stunned look on their faces when you'd openly express no interest in their business.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I worked them one summer, the stunned look on their faces when you'd openly express no interest in their business.

priceless:D:D
    what do you mean you dont want the privelidge of my crappy bike to fix which i dont want to pay over €10 for:confused::confused:.
    hero, with cliff hell say it straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Bluefoam wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous statement. You should go there and get ripped off for a while, in order for him to treat you with respect & charge you a reasonable price...

CycleSuperStore have a loyalty system and good prices for all. Go there.

I have always found Cycological to be expensive and disinterested tbh...

cliff's 'system' IS a loyalty system really, it's just a bit less formal. it doesn't take much to get on his good side.

if you're into bikes you'll get on well with him and he'll be very accommodating. it's a different way of doing business, most stuff in there doesn't seem to have a set price, the longer its been there the more likely it is he'll give you a really good deal, and he gives good advice which is important. old school, they're the only place i know that still give you those old tiny receipts with the purple ink that disappears. barcodes, me arse.

he's a very good wheel builder too.

i haven't been in joe daly's in at least 10 years but i remember it being a proper bike shop, the type that i hope survives the onslaught of the online retailers (where i spend a lot of money too btw). the are planty of other bike shops that won't, because they don't offer the personal touch.

niceonetom wrote: »
    they're the only place i know that still give you those old tiny receipts with the purple ink that disappears. barcodes, me arse.

You hit the nail on the head there, it's one thing I resent about allot of bike shops in this country. They don't put prices on their stock & then charge you what ever they think your willing to pay. It is the law to display prices...

Thats why so many people spend so much money online. But people will still go to Cycleogical to get advice & check out the products before they purchase from CRC... The LBS's are paying massive rent and losing allot of business because they either don't understand or do not respect their customers.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there, it's one thing I resent about allot of bike shops in this country. They don't put prices on their stock & then charge you what ever they think your willing to pay. It is the law to display prices...

Thats why so many people spend so much money online. But people will still go to Cycleogical to get advice & check out the products before they purchase from CRC... The LBS's are paying massive rent and losing allot of business because they either don't understand or do not respect their customers.

they aint stupid, if your a gear clicker, you wont get much advice.
    you kinda pay for the advice in the LCB with the extra few cents on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

Cyclelogical get alot of stick around here. I used to go out to the man when he had the little shop in malahide and he has done well for himself.

But as Kona said unless you are 'dropping' serious money in there he doesn't want to know you, which is unfortunate. I have been blown off a couple of times ( why I keep going back I never know ) once while I was trying to buy a Genisis flyer of him, I had a few quid to burn and was going to pick up a few extras but he didn't really feel to bothered about the whole thing and never even came around the other side of the counter.

I guess it is like the man said, you have to kiss his ass, drop a few G's then he might feel that you are good enough to talk to.

In spite of all this, I have heard from a lot of people that he is the best wheel builder in town, solid as a rock.

On that note does anyone know where Rapheal Kimmage is? he used to build wheels for my dads touring bikes that are still rolling today. He had a shop in coolock and was the BEST wheelbuilder about, hands down. is he still building somewhere?

I used to go out to the man when he had the little shop in malahide and he has done well for himself.

Used to do the same myself.
    I have been blown off a couple of times ( why I keep going back I never know ) once while I was trying to buy a Genisis flyer of him...

I bought a Genesis Flyer from there....are you me, but in a slightly parallel universe?

• Advertisement

A white Flyer? THink I have seen ya round. I think, 'that coulda been me, if not for Cliff'

bought a Langster and spent the leftovers on a weekend away with the missus.

Raph Kimmage anyone?

Yeah, a white one. Might be me, but I've seen a few of them around.

Yeah, great bike, I regret not getting it, but can't win'em all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Cliff is a legend of a wheel builder, sorted out many a wheel for me, and cheaper than my lbs. The screwed up a wheel of mine, theyd put in spokes of varying length and varying quality, and it wasn't even straight. i brought it in to him, and he fixed it for the cost of the spokes. Beast!

Saying that, Ive never dropped a ridiculous amount of money in there on much of anything, the way he respects you is if you know your stuff, know what your looking for, and if hes charging to much for something, flat out say no to the lad. I was buying a frame before, and Id seen it for 300 or something online, went into cliff, cause id much rather give the money to somewhere localish, and he had the same frame for 750, i was shocked, i just told him how much id seen it for online, and said i wasn't going to take it. After that he's been decent to me. If he thinks he can take you for a ride he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supergrip

dewsbury wrote: »
    Joe's bike shop has been there for years and years....30+ maybe 40+ , more ???.
    And so have most of the bikes I think. I bought my first ever bike there - sorry, should rephrase that, my first ever bike was bought for me there, about 25 years ago. Went in recently looking for a new bike and they seem to only do dawes and raleigh, maybe the odd other model from a brand. Didn't have my size in any bike which was in my price range (500-800 euro), when asked when they would have them in was told they didn't know. left miffed. more recently was in looking for some stuff, was ignored for the yummy mummy buying the kiddies xmas presents. stood there like a tool for about 10 mins and left miffed again. Oh and the powerbars are out of date, thats how bored I was. I prefer Commuting solutions, despite the fact that I live in Dundrum, and have to travel to Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Joe Daly's is a great shop, no doubt about it.

They don't just do Dawes and Raleigh; they are also a Trek dealer with bikes from the entry-level hybrids all the way up to the €6k SSL Madones. I've seen a few nice looking Felts in there as well recently.

I've always found they will deal with people in the order they appear in the shop, and so what if they take a little bit longer because they are happy to talk to you rather than just brush you off and rush to the next customer. I'll put up with the wait.

Had a recent expericence of bike shops since the christmas. Decided it was time to go 'off-line' and have a look @ real bike shops.

These where (LBS) 1;Fairview cycles; a bit strange, got no real impression of being in a shop, more like a friends garage. Odd assorment of equipment and bikes, seemed friendly enough. Was just having a look around, heard them giving out about people buying crap bikes in dunnes stores and when somthing goes wrong going crying to them... why not go back the shop you bought it from? nuff said. Did have nice pashelys on the wall (new obsession)

seem to stock the eurobikes range- Raleigh-giant etal. I think every small shop in Dublin has these in stock, come on lads? nothing else out there?

2 Little sport; fairview... a little further down little sport has been around for yonks. i got my first bmx from there in '87. very strange. 3 guys around the counter 60ish talkin about some race in '67, cool factor of 7/10. **** bikes/no stock in the shop 0/10. same again as up the road (eurobikes) no pashleys. This shop is still in the late 80's. On another note this shop used to have an absolutlty massive second hand range, used to take up the street. only 5 or 6 there now. I suppose with the advent of the €100 disposable lidl/aldi bike the bikes don't last long enough to trade in.

3 Mikes Bikes; Dun Laouighre. was nicley surprised here. nice shop nice, people nice chat. Where enthusiastic when i told them I wanted a **** second hand bike from outside the shop (some of these where quite nice if you knew what you where looking for) and to make it pretty again. Was an hour chewing the fat. know people have bought bikes from them and reports are good. nice selection of stuff from cheap to expensive, reminded me of cycleways circa '93.

4 Edges hardware; fairview.. I know it's not a bike shop but i bought wd 40, zip ties for a failed bell on oversized handle bars fiasco, and some nuts and bolts. Great shop, the way shops should be, friendly, honest and helpful and always have a smile!!!

the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What do people think of Cycleways on Parnell St. Have been looking at a few road bikes in there recently with a view to buying. Havent heard much of them on these boards.

depends what day you go in... service is a bit patchy, downstairs ( the bike bit) they'll be all happy to see you, but can be a bit absent minded. I bought my most recent bike from them. They said they were out of stock of the current bike I wanted, but they would put it on the order and it would be in in 2 weeks. and they would ring me. I said cool, gave them my number. went in a few days later (looking for somthing else) and the bike was there...where they about to ring me? I dunno? Bought it straight away any way.

the guys and girls upstairs (acessories) will keep asking you are you ok, when you say you want somthing 10 mins later you'll have ten things, maybe thats just me getting carried away. The advice is patchy though. Had a chap recently , Colin I think, was nice as pie and knew his ****. went back as had prob with stuff i bought, he was all apologetic about it. you like that in a shop. Best school up before you go in. Overall though a good shop.

ps
    the service guys for them (bike maintanice is 2 doors down) are really good. know their way around a bike and are throuogh. Well worth a look in if any thing needs doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I was in Joe's about a year ago...was speaking to the old man himself.....nice chap....but didnt know anything about mountainbikes......fair enough i thought....but could i see some stock??? NOOOO, anyhting above 700ish seems to be to order only...which seems a pity as its a lovely new shop in a great location in a good suburb, beside europes largest shopping centre and the Luas....but all they seem to stock (when i was there) are kids bikes and comuters, not even a few nice parts to drool on:(

Anyone remember Sandycove Cycles.....i loved this shop....it was packed so full of bikes and bits.
    I do like The Bike Rack....the guys in there are helpfull and friendly and i have bought a good few bikes from them over the years, before that i bought them from Dave English in Ballybrack Shopping Centre before he moved to the Bike Rack.
    Mc Quaids in Dun Laghorie was a bit of a funny shop.......Always felt like nobody was incharge???
    I remember friends going out to Bray years ago to get bikes from Pennyfarthing Cycles.....Presidents and Millano's i think.

Advertisement